Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be opting out of this, unless there are any benefits.
I imagine there might be benefits one day in that some EV related benefits such as congestion charge exemptions may be described as applying to "green plate holders only"
When a car is parked it is not even easy to tell what sort of vehicle it is. Some ICE have their exhaust quite well hidden so it may become an easy way for people doing enforcement of parking in EV only spaces to identify who should and should not be there.

I imagine there might be benefits one day in that some EV related benefits such as congestion charge exemptions may be described as applying to "green plate holders only"
When a car is parked it is not even easy to tell what sort of vehicle it is. Some ICE have their exhaust quite well hidden so it may become an easy way for people doing enforcement of parking in EV only spaces to identify who should and should not be there.

If it allowed me to park for free, or a seriously reduced cost in Edinburgh, then I would be up for it, but it isn't the most flattering of colours.

Having a green bit on your plate will make absolutely no difference to parking costs, congestion charges, driving in bus lanes or any other scheme a local authority might decide to put in place.

Any such scheme will use ANPR or a human to read your registration mark and check it against the database. This is all about the Government trying to get the general population interested in buying EVs by making them more visible.

If there's a green bit on my new Model 3 plate when I pick it up on Sep 2nd I'll be replacing the plates with plain ones ASAP because I think it looks crappy.

Moderator comment - posts merged from "Green Number Plates from Autumn"

£20 at Show Plates Express | Quality Show plates & Number Plates | Buy Online - Not sure if they can just do the green bit on its own

Also worth adding your tesla referral code at bottom!

Tesla Reg.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

As far as the London congestion charge is concerned, come the end of 2025 there will be no discount at all for EVs...

“From 25 October 2021, the cleaner vehicle discount will change so that only battery electric vehicles are eligible. Then from 25 December 2025, the cleaner vehicle discount will be discontinued. From this date, all vehicle owners, unless in receipt of another discount or exemption, will need to pay to enter the Congestion Charge zone during charging hours.”

I can't now see these green plates being ready for 1st September and the 70 plates. The Govt. Consultation made clear their preference for the green flash on the left of the plate as this would not require a change to British Standard BS AU 145d for number plates (which would take some time). It only requires a change to the Display Regulations, which is quicker but still needs Parlimentary time (according to the Consultation Outcome). Parliment is in recess until 1st September, and currently the Display Regulations make no mention of the green flash etc.

• Informative
Reactions: c7carl
I used Showplates Express (top of this page) - their "legal style plates" are BS marked bottom-right corner

£64 delivered for 2 sets of plates front/back and an extra trailer plate in motorcycle style seemed pretty good without having to move from where I was sitting !