Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green traffic light chime now available without FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my update today and tried out the Green Light Chime. Works pretty well, not an annoying sound. I just wish it would not ding so quickly, and let it give me a chance to start accelerating. I can beat it, if I really try. But in normal driving, it's going to ding about every time. I think it should ding after about a second longer, just for those cases where I might not have noticed the light, but sooner than someone behind me would honk.

The delay is half a second or a second. You cannot adjust it. IMO it's a great feature.
On my car with regular non-beta FSD, I find that the chime delay is somewhat unpredictable. Usually it seems to be about 1.5 seconds or so for a straight-through green, and usually seems to be much quicker for the appearance of a green leftarrow when waiting in the left turn lane. However, there are frequent exceptions to both of those observations.

The roughly 1.5 seconds, as I mentioned, is long enough that an impatient person behind you is preparing to honk, and a seriously impatient person will already have honked.

Of course it's very possible that Tesla may make fine-tuning changes to this behavior, with the wide release of the green light chime.

Hi, new Tesla Model 3 owner here and still figuring things out. I don't have this green light chime option on my screen. I have Updates set to Advanced and under Software it says I am up to date as of today. My software says it is v11.0 (2022.16.2). As far as I understand it, that release is not the latest release. Why would it say it is up to date and not really be up to date, with Advanced updates enabled? Thanks.
When you first get your car, it takes about 2 weeks to a month to start getting the newest updates because the car is still like calibrating itself. You will start to get them all the time after the first month lol

On my car with regular non-beta FSD, I find that the chime delay is somewhat unpredictable. Usually it seems to be about 1.5 seconds or so for a straight-through green, [...]
Here is a video showing four tests of the green light chime:

IMO the timing in the video matches my 0.5 to 1 second estimation. Although, to be fair, in the first test the bus behind the Tesla honked in impatience.

I encourage people to measure the delay in this videos and others. IIRC Tesla specified a one second delay.

FWIW: this is probably where I saw the "one second" specification:

'Green Traffic Light Chime' is now available without FSD in update 2022.20

The chime will sound a second after the light changes in case the driver is not paying attention. The chime will also sound when you are behind someone, once the vehicle advances.
This is clearly revised behavior compared to the prior FSD-associated Green Light Chime (part of Traffic Light and Stop-Sign Control).

In that case, you got a chime when stopped only if you were the lead car at a stoplight. You also get a chime to confirm to proceed through an existing green light if you are not essentially following another car through. If directly behind another car, whether stopped and waiting for green or whether proceeding through an existing green, there is no chime - because the car is going to start moving anyway to follow, and there is no need to remind the driver.

So it will be interesting to see if the new chime behavior now applies in Traffic Light Control mode, when I'm the second or third car in line and the light turns green. I'll try to assess this tomorrow.

Last edited:
Do you have to accept every update that comes out in order to get the next one or can you skip?
Skipping updates is not an issue in general, because new cars will often skip over several releases when they update for the first time.

But when a new one is available for your car you’ll get pestered to death to accept it. You have to keep dismissing a pop up window.

I got my update today and tried out the Green Light Chime. Works pretty well, not an annoying sound. I just wish it would not ding so quickly, and let it give me a chance to start accelerating. I can beat it, if I really try. But in normal driving, it's going to ding about every time. I think it should ding after about a second longer, just for those cases where I might not have noticed the light, but sooner than someone behind me would honk.
I’m not looking to beat it. I just like a reminder if I’m looking elsewhere when stopped. I always check the cross traffic before moving forward into the intersection anyway because you never know when a crazy driver is going to try to run a red light.