Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Moto on the other side of the Scotch Corner is fully up and running with 12 Gridserve 250kW chargers, making a welcome alternative to the 8 Tesla V2s.

My wife was in a queueing 5 deep for Scotch Corner in early December and diverted off to Moto instead where 6 out of 12 were free. Full range of services over the road too.
I was queueing in dreadful Scotch Corner for half an hour and then charged at 55 kw twi days ago.

At least grid serve is an option

I was queueing in dreadful Scotch Corner for half an hour and then charged at 55 kw twi days ago.

At least grid serve is an option
On the plus side, the bar in Scotch Corner hotel is nice and the staff are really friendly. We always stop for a coffee and take our dog in - it's a much nicer experience than a service station.

Anyone noticed how ridiculously expensive it is to charge on "alternative" chargers? I have never done it before but needed to and around Stockton there is absolutely nothing. Apart from INstavolt at 85p kw, Pod Point at 50p but 11kw speed. Scotch Corner was a bit too far, and always busy.
i just find any alternatives crazy prices and more than having a petrol car these days.

Yes, but it's such an outlier that you need to do it. We grabbed 30kW and something like 20p/kW uplift. Well worth the £6 extra for the time saving in that particular instance. I wouldn't want to be stuck on with any public charging permanently though.

I wonder how much non-Tesla users need to rapid-charge at Superchargers a month to justify the subscription (i.e. to save the price-difference to Other Brand Prices
They’re usually cheaper without the subscription. The question for a non-Tesla is how much cheaper the superchargers would for them with a subscription ie how many kWh do you need to charge to save the 10.99 a month. That’s about 80kWh or two-three significant charges on a supercharger.

They’re usually cheaper without the subscription. The question for a non-Tesla is how much cheaper the superchargers would for them with a subscription ie how many kWh do you need to charge to save the 10.99 a month. That’s about 80kWh or two-three significant charges on a supercharger.
Depends on a car, there's lots that can swallow 80kWh+ in a single charge with 100kWh+ batteries.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I wonder how much non-Tesla users need to rapid-charge at Superchargers a month to justify the subscription (i.e. to save the price-difference to Other Brand Prices
It easy maths: divide the sub price by the delta in kWh price for non-sub vs sub. For example £10.99 / (£0.62 - £0.41) = 52.33 kWh consumed in 30 days is the break even point for a sub to make financial sense.

As a non-Tesla driver these days I still maintain a Tesla sub and avoid GS, Instavolt, Shell, BP Pulse etc for various reasons but mostly as they all charge in excess of 80p per unit.

My other go to providers are IONITY which I can get for 30p and the likes of Fastned and Osprey which works out around 50p per unit.

There’s a ton of non-Tesla ultra fast charging these days. Sainsbury’s have built 22 (4 to 16 bay) Kempower-based 150/300 kW hubs at their sites in the last 6 months. MFG similarly are going gang-busters installing new 150 kW Alpitronic HYC units - eventually to 500+ sites and 3000 charge points.

The charging landscape has changed dramatically in the last year alone.

Anyone noticed how ridiculously expensive it is to charge on "alternative" chargers? I have never done it before but needed to and around Stockton there is absolutely nothing. Apart from INstavolt at 85p kw, Pod Point at 50p but 11kw speed. Scotch Corner was a bit too far, and always busy.
i just find any alternatives crazy prices and more than having a petrol car these days.
yeah, it is the case. but then you could top up just few kwh. which would be enough to reach Scotch Corner...

but in general, North east is horrible in this regard

I reckon that's quite a bit "for most people" ?

200-ish miles (unless you have a fabulously! inefficient drive train ...) - every month, and find an open-to-all Supercharger on your route

But there is the convenience / reliability of Tesla Superchargers too of course
Can cancel after a month, so also covers things such as one offs like a holiday or sudden commitments to relatives (eg elderly parents, kids moving out)

I reckon that's quite a bit "for most people" ?

200-ish miles (unless you have a fabulously! inefficient drive train ...) - every month, and find an open-to-all Supercharger on your route

But there is the convenience / reliability of Tesla Superchargers too of course
Pretty much every retail sub out there now (including Tesla's) is 30-day / 1 month duration. 12-month retail subs pretty much disappeared last year. The only exceptions are those you get with the vehicle manufacturer, which can run from 1 year to 3 years typically.