Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologises if this has already been mention elsewhere, but Planning permission for Stevenage Gridserve site have been submitted.

Stevenage
Another 90+ of these to come plus old Electric Highway.... lovely! Thanks.

From memory, it looks similar to Braintree design (videos, never been). Another bonus if most sites have the same layout & looks like you can loop back round if needed. Direct image is https://publicaccess.stevenage.gov....f/21_00536_FPM-PROPOSED_BLOCK_PLAN-631366.pdf and also GRIDSERVE | Stevenage

Proposed visuals: https://publicaccess.stevenage.gov..../pdf/21_00536_FPM-PROPOSED_VISUALS-631373.pdf

"To view the planning application, click here and search 21/00536/FPM. To find out more, go to gridserve.com/stevenage."

"The planning application includes 41 charging bays, a coffee shop, convenience retail, and an airport-style lounge with high-speed internet.

Stevenage EV forecourt

Gridserve would make Stevenage one of 100 locations for its Electrical Charging forecourts - Credit: Grideserve"

Gridserve are basically building the new MSAs.. lots of EV drivers (and in a few years there will be lots) stuck in one place with nowhere to go. The £0.30 isn't the half of it.. it's the costa, mcdonalds, etc. where the money is.
Exactly why Euro Garages is a brand to watch out for. Vertical integration and about to get in the EV game.

Reactions: ringi
Gridserve Cornwall (Ref: PA21/04865) PA21/04865 | The development of an electric vehicle charging hub and associated works. | Cornish Gateway Services Victoria Cornwall PL26 8UF

PL26 8UF Existing services on the A30. Great location….but maybe not Tesla superchargers on this one.
Nice, closer towards Lands End than Lifton Supercharger.

Combination of Gridserve & Tesla makes me very hopeful. Still a few gaps though. Mid Wales to Aberystwyth looks like a desert - perhaps much of Wales might be more acccurate

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Nice, closer towards Lands End than Lifton Supercharger.

Combination of Gridserve & Tesla makes me very hopeful. Still a few gaps though. Mid Wales to Aberystwyth looks like a desert - perhaps much of Wales might be more acccurate

seems a bit odd to have 6 AC chargers - although they say 22kw, most will be slower than that. Don’t most service stations have quite limited dwell times? I’d have thought better to have more rapids and maybe locate a bank of slower ACs by the hotel

Reactions: ringi
I don’t think you need to worry. The upgraded EH units will be busy with Jags & VW’s. A healthy revenue to prove the business plan to the investors (The Rise Fund).

I may be wrong but I get the impression Braintree is trying to be a destination and if so, that’s a mistake IMO. That or it’s a case of location location location. Or there aren’t enough amenities/concessions. Charging isn’t a destination for me, it’s a means to an end. If it’s trying to be a new service station why reinvent the wheel, the established MSAs know the model and how to make it work. The MSA’s are getting infrastructure paid for by the Gov: Cornwall Services is a great model. Braintree not convinced.

Last edited:
Had a go on the new ABB chargers at Cobham yesterday, just me and 1 other vehicle at about 17:00. About 50KW on a 50% full battery at about 17 degrees. Shame the actual services are like the third circle or so of Dante's inferno, acoustic like a public swimming baths. Best option between Maidstone and Amesbury.

I’m getting the impression the new EH/Gridserve 120kW ABB units will deliver 120kW if you have a 1000V battery. Tesla like most manufacturers currently batteries run at just below 400V means many reports on Zap-Map of 64kW which is rather disappointing. They aren’t a SuC that’s for sure.

I encourage everyone to use a Gridserve site whenever nearby because when I was there recently (Braintree) it was very quiet & if this persists their model may not prove viable long enough for EV uptake to eventually justify it.
I've seen a few photos where it looks pretty dead there. I would love to have gone and supported it, but it's not anywhere I ever go near. In my opinion it should have been central in the motorway network to catch the most people who are part way through a long drive. I personally think the current service station model is awful - ugly, messy car parks - tokenistic picnic tables surrounded by litter, and boring same-old chains inside, charging inflated prices. The Gridserve one looks much nicer than that, so I'd love to see them on the same junctions as the Motos and Welcome Breaks - they need some competition.

Tebay services is a prime example of what can be done with landscaping, architecture and food outlets with a little well-placed effort. Tebay and their sister stations in Gloucestershire are great places to visit, and well placed on the motorway network.

I must confess my confidence and enthusiasm for Gridserve has waned a little at the distinct lack of progress and updates as to the status of the superchargers at Braintree. I worry that at future sites, the SC's there will be treated with similar apparent lack of focus. After all it's in Gridserves interest to not have working superchargers as it will direct Tesla's to their GS's chargers not the Tesla ones..

I must confess my confidence and enthusiasm for Gridserve has waned a little at the distinct lack of progress and updates as to the status of the superchargers at Braintree. I worry that at future sites, the SC's there will be treated with similar apparent lack of focus. After all it's in Gridserves interest to not have working superchargers as it will direct Tesla's to their GS's chargers not the Tesla ones..
Have you spoken to the staff at Braintree about the Superchargers to get an update or are you just guessing?
They told me it was a DNO issue and are waiting for the issue to be resolved.

Have you spoken to the staff at Braintree about the Superchargers to get an update or are you just guessing?
They told me it was a DNO issue and are waiting for the issue to be resolved.
Alas I don't live nearby, I was planning a trip that way. I wonder what changed then. I would have thought the DNO wouldn't let them go live unless everything was sorted and signed off?

I’m getting the impression the new EH/Gridserve 120kW ABB units will deliver 120kW if you have a 1000V battery. Tesla like most manufacturers currently batteries run at just below 400V means many reports on Zap-Map of 64kW which is rather disappointing. They aren’t a SuC that’s for sure.
If it doesn't have actively cooled cables, it might be limited to 200A. Still, even that should give more like 75 to 80kW on a car with 400V max battery pack.