Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: NewbieT
Upgrade all existing by September is a confirmation of what they’d previously said

add hubs to 85% of MSAs is great. But the numbers are odd

158 MSAs in the UK. 85% of that is 134. If they add between 6-12 high powered chargers that’s 800-1600 chargers. A far cry from 300. So what’s going on?

While this news is great, maybe finally getting the motorway network that should have existed for the last 5 years, I can't help feeling that it's not enough. Yes us early adopters will exploit it for a while, but by 2030 surely it will be inadequate. There was no date I heard of the 50 'hubs' being deployed.

Don't we need all service stations to be a 'hub' with 15-20 chargers, and with the scaling planned it to grow to over a hundred bays by 2030? Ok there are 8.5 years to go, but someone needs to be planning this.

Reactions: adsheff
While this news is great, maybe finally getting the motorway network that should have existed for the last 5 years, I can't help feeling that it's not enough. Yes us early adopters will exploit it for a while, but by 2030 surely it will be inadequate. There was no date I heard of the 50 'hubs' being deployed.

Don't we need all service stations to be a 'hub' with 15-20 chargers, and with the scaling planned it to grow to over a hundred bays by 2030? Ok there are 8.5 years to go, but someone needs to be planning this.

chexked out their home page- they talk about 10 hubs by year end. That’s pretty good going alongside the replacements.

some of that will be dependent on DNO upgrades which may take some time

Upgrade all existing by September is a confirmation of what they’d previously said

add hubs to 85% of MSAs is great. But the numbers are odd

158 MSAs in the UK. 85% of that is 134. If they add between 6-12 high powered chargers that’s 800-1600 chargers. A far cry from 300. So what’s going on?
The upgrade is relating to the old Ecotricty chargers already at services, where there are typically 2 old (slower) units already in place - so that broadly makes the maths work.

the 6-12 high powered powered updates are taking much longer, they are working on 5 now, and plan to have 10 done by the end of the year, with more to follow next year.

Surely as battery capacity and range increase these hubs will become less crucial?
If I could top my car at home and get a range of 500 or 600 miles then it’s unlikely I’d ever need a motorway charger…

There's some truth to that but I think it will be a long time before an average EV has that kind of range. A top end Tesla doing that may not be far off but many electric cars ... even new models ... are still in the 125 to 200 mile area. In reality providing expensive, heavy, large batteries so that all EVs can do 500/600 miles will always be a questionable approach. Carting around all that weight just for the handful of times the range is needed would be a waste of resources. So unless a presently unknown new battery technology suddenly arrives that cuts weight by a huge percentage whilst trebling capacity we are still going to need rapid charging for longer trips.

Reactions: ringi
Surely as battery capacity and range increase these hubs will become less crucial?
If I could top my car at home and get a range of 500 or 600 miles then it’s unlikely I’d ever need a motorway charger…

petrol/diesel cars have even more range but there are still motorway services selling expensive fuel. People will always need to top up. Maybe less often, but there will be more cars too