Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that Gridserve Norwich is now under construction, with contractors on site at the location near Broadland Business Park.

Looks nice too, a bit different to Braintree, which I visited yesterday. https://secure.broadland.gov.uk/MVM.DMS/Planning Application/755000/755767/20201193 2020_06_12 Design Access Statement.pdf

It has 8 bays clearly intended for Superchargers, but I don't think these have been confirmed by Tesla yet?

Nice to have it coming to East Anglia, not that I'll likely use it much with it being so close to home!
Good progress underway. I took this photo on Sunday 30th May.

Attachments

• IMG_4419.jpg
    IMG_4419.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: CMc1
found this. Posted 2 weeks ago but don't know when it was recorded.

Chargers look like the ABB ones Polar use for their 150kW offering.

5MW / 6MWh battery onsite.

This one seems to have vanished without trace, Crazy location, should be on the West side of Hull rather then the East (You're going where?). I can't find any obituary though.

Moderator comment - invalid/non functioning link removed - http ://Hull to get one of UK%27s first new electric charging forecourts - Hull Live (hulldailymail.co.uk)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale has sold his remaining 75% of Electric Highway to Gridserve to fund other green projects. Good move for EV charging infrastructure in the UK, as reading reviews and talking to other non tesla EV drivers about the charging problems on the Electric highway I suspect Dale got bored with this project along time ago.

Ecotricity sells pioneering Electric Highway charge point network to Gridserve

Did we ever find out why the Braintree super chargers have been inoperative for so long?
I went twice recently. It felt like they were covered up as there simply isn't enough business for the main Gridserve chargers at the moment. The 1st time there were 3 cars in the entire place in the middle of the afternoon and two were Teslas. 2nd time around lunchtime and I was the only person charging (again in a Tesla).

I went twice recently. It felt like they were covered up as there simply isn't enough business for the main Gridserve chargers at the moment. The 1st time there were 3 cars in the entire place in the middle of the afternoon and two were Teslas. 2nd time around lunchtime and I was the only person charging (again in a Tesla).
So for that reason it's greyed out on the map and not used by the Tesla's routing? I guess it's possible that Tesla are doing GS a favor by passing traffic on to them, but seems wrong.

I've heard that older Zoe & leaf not catered for - is this correct?
No. Leaf are just fine, there are Chademo connectors. Some owners are moaning that there are less than before, but in reality you were lucky if one was actually working.

Older Zoe use a weird AC charge, as the retrofit started they are not catered for, but GS have said they will fit 22KW AC which should do them.

No. Leaf are just fine, there are Chademo connectors. Some owners are moaning that there are less than before, but in reality you were lucky if one was actually working.

Older Zoe use a weird AC charge, as the retrofit started they are not catered for, but GS have said they will fit 22KW AC which should do them.

I've used 43kw AC somewhere (I forget now) on a Zoe - quite good. CCS DC is obviously the way to go, I'd just like Gridserve to be the "Not sure - go to Gridserve" option for newbie buyers of second hand EVs - especially on their way home from buying. Most will be charged at home & only used for longer runs occasionally. More EVs, the merrier, used and new as long as ICE is replaced. 22kw is fine for such trips. I'd also consider using AC on my Tesla if stopping for lunch or fairly charged already & want a break - less need to move the car & wear on the car. Also good for online meetings/phone calls for mobile workers. Cheaper, but obviously still take up land

I've used 43kw AC somewhere (I forget now) on a Zoe - quite good. CCS DC is obviously the way to go, I'd just like Gridserve to be the "Not sure - go to Gridserve" option for newbie buyers of second hand EVs - especially on their way home from buying. Most will be charged at home & only used for longer runs occasionally. More EVs, the merrier, used and new as long as ICE is replaced. 22kw is fine for such trips. I'd also consider using AC on my Tesla if stopping for lunch or fairly charged already & want a break - less need to move the car & wear on the car. Also good for online meetings/phone calls for mobile workers. Cheaper, but obviously still take up land
22KW is relatively cheap, only needs a 3P 32A circuit so really nothing more than putting a socket on the end. It's probably not even worth fitting a contactless reader, I don't think GS charge for it at Braintree. A 43KW AC needs a specific charger, so is far more expensive to fit.

I'm sure if they add a couple of sockets and they get filled with Tesla's taking a long lunch that don't really need to charge you'll gain many friends with Zoe's.

Looks official/finalised - Gridserve have monopoly on some Motorway Services sites?

1623231315256.png

Nice Rugby picture - Gridserve in foreground, Tesla chargers in background, all together

1623231472945.png
the current model Zoe is only AC unless you fork out a grand for rapid charge, which seems crazy, and having recently looked for one for my dad there are a lot without the rapid option. So presumably they are not catered for either?

22KW is relatively cheap, only needs a 3P 32A circuit so really nothing more than putting a socket on the end. It's probably not even worth fitting a contactless reader, I don't think GS charge for it at Braintree. A 43KW AC needs a specific charger, so is far more expensive to fit.

I'm sure if they add a couple of sockets and they get filled with Tesla's taking a long lunch that don't really need to charge you'll gain many friends with Zoe's.

@Jason71 - I seem to remember the same when I was advising someone a while ago.

@GRiLLA - blocking any kind of charger for a particular usage type / brand / connection isn't something I'd do, but I guess not all would realise. I was thinking more of supply to large numbers of spots. In which case 22kw AC should be fine, even if many cars can only use anything from 3-11kw, at least it's a cheap option to overprovision. In fact, I'd like to see overprovision of AC even if only 7.4 kW, just because it's relatively easy & probably not worth metering

Looks official/finalised - Gridserve have monopoly on some Motorway Services sites?

1623231315256.png

Nice Rugby picture - Gridserve in foreground, Tesla chargers in background, all together

1623231472945.png
I wonder how much Gridserve paid for some broken old chargers, a rubbish app, and a widely hated brand name? The only value would be whatever contracts exist with service stations? Would EV car owners not have been better served by removing the exclusivity and allowing competition to offer the best service and price for charging for customers rather than the operator. I think the government should intervene, this exclusivity hasn't served us well so far.

I might pop over to rugby to help peel those Electric Highway stickers off the chargers.

Last edited:
The new EH chargers don’t even use their app.

FCEFA1AC-BCC9-4F5E-AACB-4EF3BDFFFFDE.jpeg

EH probably did the deal to get rid of a liability. If the MSA contracts have repair obligations EH will be in breach. Might only be an issue at the end of the lease/license period but still an issue if you can’t raise finance. Take them for 1p consideration = phew.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
GS surveyors are doing surveys at Ikea sites with Ecotricity rapid chargers in view of updating them later in the year. Hopefully this will give a more reliable service than currently with the Ecotricity chargers.
I know this is no use to you in London, but the Ecotricity rapid chargers at the Ikea store in Leeds (Birstall) has already been swapped out, they have the new ABB units.

I wonder how much Gridserve paid for some broken old chargers, a rubbish app, and a widely hated brand name? The only value would be whatever contracts exist with service stations? Would EV car owners not have been better served by removing the exclusivity and allowing competition to offer the best service and price for charging for customers rather than the operator. I think the government should intervene, this exclusivity hasn't served us well so far.

I might pop over to rugby to help peel those Electric Highway stickers off the chargers.
If anyone except Gridserve had taken control of motorway services & other exclusive / strategic locations, I would be concerned. Even with GS, you never know who takes over eventually. In the short term, I'm happy and in the medium to longer term, I think other operators / developments in tech will help. I'm happier with prospect of EV charging provision in UK than I was before.

I feel more confident recommending different EVs for different usage. I particularly want high mileage (CO2) & urban transport stop-start diesels (local pollution/health) off the roads

Edit: As Tesla has lifted expectations & competitors with better cars & charging network, I want Gridserve to lift other charging networks and be a model for adoption around the Europe & the rest of the world.

Reactions: Jason71