Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy: Suma Convex Side Mirrors WITHOUT Blue Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hydro 481

Sep 4, 2017
USA
Hey everyone,

I've been working with @SumaPerformance to organize a group buy for their new convex side mirrors without the anti-glare coating (blue tint). Several of us, myself included, have asked Suma to produce a version of their mirrors without the blue tint. Thank you Suma for listening to your consumers! :)

For those who are unfamiliar with convex mirrors, they provide a wider field of view to help eliminate blind spots. Check out this comparison video:
The mirror in the video is Suma's standard mirror with blue tint. This group buy is for a revised version without the tint.

The mirrors are currently in the pre-order stage with an anticipated delivery of late January. Pre-order/group buy will be available today until December 17 11:59PM PST (link will be listed below).

Details on Group Buy:
-Regular price of the mirrors will be $149.95 with defroster or $179.95 with defroster + turn signals.
-Anyone who pre-orders will automatically receive a 5% discount.
-If 10 or more people pre-order we will each receive a 10% discount.
-If 20 or more people pre-order we will each receive a 20% discount.
Pre-orders are non-refundable.

So base on my calculations, if we hit 20 people your final cost will be $119.96‬ for the defroster model or $‭143.96‬ for defroster + turn signal model.

If you want to join the group buy, you can go ahead and place your pre-order (link listed below). After you're finished, just post your order number in this thread (or PM me) and I'll add your name to the list. As mentioned, pre-order pricing will be at a 5% discount. Assuming we do hit our target goal of 10 or 20% discount, the difference will be refunded to you between December 18 - December 20.
Pre-order link:
Model 3 (Non-blue)

Other things to note before you order:
-Shipping is $6.95 (USA) or $17 (international). Maybe I can ask Suma to offer free shipping if we hit a certain quota? ;)
-As with their regular convex mirrors, you will lose the auto-dimming feature of the OEM mirror.
-Installation of the defroster model is quite simple. Should take no more than 15-20 minutes.
-Installation of the turn-sign variant is more involved (2-3 hours) and will require taking apart panels and splicing wires.

Personal Experience:
I purchased the standard blue tinted convex mirrors and have been using them since October. Overall, I've been very satisfied with them. The additional information you gain from the wider angle really helps with lane changing. If you adjust them properly, you should have close to zero blind spots. If you've never used a convex mirror before, it could take a little bit of time to get used to. But honestly it only took me a few days before they felt normal. My one and only gripe with the mirrors was the blue tint. My car windows are already tinted (25%), and the addition of the blue tint on the mirrors made it even more difficult to see at night. Keep in mind though that other people with lighter window tints (35% or higher) have mentioned the blue tint being a non-issue for them. Without the tint you will lose any kind of glare protection, but for me that's not a big deal at all. I was never a fan of auto-dimming mirrors to begin with. Plus I prefer the normal non-blue look :)

Last edited:
I'd love to be part of the group buy, and help bump the numbers. It seems that it would be in everybody's interest to allow mix/match. Because I do want the blue glare reduction. If I can be part of the group buy while ordering the blue tint, I'm in.

Seems like we could have one additional drop-down menu, the same as adding the signals. We could choose blue or not.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in this but don't have window tints. Is this still worth having without any glare protection? I will be tinting my windows in the upcoming summer but it will be 30-40% mostly for heat reduction.

Pre ordered, Order number 1418

You should ask Suma to make the mirrors a tiny bit smaller on the outer leading edge - this way we could fully extend the drivers side using the complete motion range of the mirror motor.
One thing to note: With driver mirror pointing farthest out, it begins to reflect the inside of the mirror shell. So I don't think more throw on the glass is going to gain anything. I wish there was some way to force the shell to swing out another couple of degrees. There's just no way to see my blind spot, and I'm sure hoping that the convex glass will fix that for me. I need nothing more inboard. All outboard.

• Informative
Reactions: Curb71
I'd love to be part of the group buy, and help bump the numbers. It seems that it would be in everybody's interest to allow mix/match. Because I do want the blue glare reduction. If I can be part of the group buy while ordering the blue tint, I'm in.

Seems like we could have one additional drop-down menu, the same as adding the signals. We could choose blue or not.
Am I dreaming, @SumaPerformance ?