Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy: Suma Convex Side Mirrors WITHOUT Blue Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very interested in this but don't have window tints. Is this still worth having without any glare protection? I will be tinting my windows in the upcoming summer but it will be 30-40% mostly for heat reduction.
If you are tinting your windows 30% you'll likely have some issues seeing at night with the blue tint. But it all depends on your comfort level and eyesight. Some people are fine with 15% tint on their windows while others have issue seeing with 25%. Your essentially adding another layer of tint to your existing window tint if you get the blue mirrors. IMO being able to see clearly at night outweighs the few times I may encounter glare issues.

Reactions: Curb71
I don't see any info on how the turn signal option works. I don't think I'm interested, but it made me wonder where the wiring comes from.

It sounds like there are 2 concerns with width. One is that you'll just see more mirror housing -- this is definitely something i worried about on my M Coupe and prevented me from getting convex mirrors for a long time. Let me say, it's a non-issue. You'll actually find you have LESS wasted mirror space. It's counter-intuitive, but because the whole mirror is convex, you get a better view overall, even from the middle of the glass.

But it also sounds like the mirror width causes it to hit the mirror shell, so you can't adjust as far out as you want, which affects the centering of the image.

Even with convex mirrors, I tend to adjust mine pretty far out so I still can't see the side of the car, so this could be an issue for sure.

I'm interested. I've been trying to source euro mirrors for a long time, and I hated the blue. But I don't think I'd mind losing the dimming. At least, worth paying the money for, for 6 or 12 months of being able to actually see my blind spot, until I can get OEM mirrors.

I don't see any info on how the turn signal option works. I don't think I'm interested, but it made me wonder where the wiring comes from.

It sounds like there are 2 concerns with width. One is that you'll just see more mirror housing -- this is definitely something i worried about on my M Coupe and prevented me from getting convex mirrors for a long time. Let me say, it's a non-issue. You'll actually find you have LESS wasted mirror space. It's counter-intuitive, but because the whole mirror is convex, you get a better view overall, even from the middle of the glass.

But it also sounds like the mirror width causes it to hit the mirror shell, so you can't adjust as far out as you want, which affects the centering of the image.

Even with convex mirrors, I tend to adjust mine pretty far out so I still can't see the side of the car, so this could be an issue for sure.

I'm interested. I've been trying to source euro mirrors for a long time, and I hated the blue. But I don't think I'd mind losing the dimming. At least, worth paying the money for, for 6 or 12 months of being able to actually see my blind spot, until I can get OEM mirrors.
I was a bit confused because initially you said you were not interested but then towards the end said you were. But I realized you were just talking about the turn signals early on :D

To be honest, I haven’t encountered anyone else mentioning they had issues with the mirror adjustment aside from Perscitus. Perhaps it could be a manufacturing defect with his particular mirror? Also, it seems it would be dependent on how far back you sit? I’m sure there are more people out there with the same issue though. Hopefully they can chime in and let Suma know. I personally adjust my convex mirrors pretty far out to where I only see a sliver of my car. I’ve tested it and there’s basically zero blindspots. By the time the car disappears from my side mirrors, it’s right next to me where I can see it.

Here’s a video of how the turn signal would look. It’s not a Tesla but would look the same.

I also just see a sliver of the car and what the drivers side Suma mirror shows is sufficient... but I know I could see far more (perhaps as much as an extra 1/2 to a full lane over) if the mirror housing didnt prevent the mirror itself from being angled just a tad further (the motor can and does with OE mirrors but gets stuck with Sumas).

I doubt its a defect as I actually tried three Suma drivers side mirrors (long story), same effect.

Passengers side is perfect as it doesn't need to go anywhere as far.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
I also just see a sliver of the car and what the drivers side Suma mirror shows is sufficient... but I know I could see far more (perhaps as much as an extra 1/2 to a full lane over) if the mirror housing didnt prevent the mirror itself from being angled just a tad further (the motor can and does with OE mirrors but gets stuck with Sumas).

I doubt its a defect as I actually tried three Suma drivers side mirrors (long story), same effect.

Passengers side is perfect as it doesn't need to go anywhere as far.
Sounds like there’s room for improvement? @SumaPerformance

Sounds like there’s room for improvement? @SumaPerformance
Just had a meeting with our engineers. Suma mirrors are designed based on the size/dimension of OEM mirrors such that their sizes are the same. However, given that Suma mirrors are convex, they take up more space inside the mirror housing such that preventing the motor to push Suma mirrors all the way out. This applies not only Model 3 but all other cars that we make. Yet, it it still sufficient to reduce most of the blind spot.

If we were to make them smaller, we'll need to do a redesign and stop the production. Even that, we might run into a new problem such as showing too much of the inner housing that some people might complain. Because of the forgoing reasons, I think it's the best we keep the current design, and I hope you can understand, thanks.

Just had a meeting with our engineers. Suma mirrors are designed based on the size/dimension of OEM mirrors such that their sizes are the same. However, given that Suma mirrors are convex, they take up more space inside the mirror housing such that preventing the motor to push Suma mirrors all the way out. This applies not only Model 3 but all other cars that we make. Yet, it it still sufficient to reduce most of the blind spot.

If we were to make them smaller, we'll need to do a redesign and stop the production. Even that, we might run into a new problem such as showing too much of the inner housing that some people might complain. Because of the forgoing reasons, I think it's the best we keep the current design, and I hope you can understand, thanks.
Makes sense. Thank you for at least listening to our concerns and attempting to find a solution.

I'd love to be part of the group buy, and help bump the numbers. It seems that it would be in everybody's interest to allow mix/match. Because I do want the blue glare reduction. If I can be part of the group buy while ordering the blue tint, I'm in.

Seems like we could have one additional drop-down menu, the same as adding the signals. We could choose blue or not.

I will sell you my blue tint ones so I can grab these non tint ones.

Last edited: