Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

H&R Block 2019 missing form 8911, again (EV Charger Credit)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The form: About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Not even mentioned on their website: Federal Tax Form Updates for Tax Preparation Software | H&R Block®

Anyone know if any competing products include it?

The initial response from their support chat is:

Since that form is not supported by our Do It Yourself products, you can file your return using our Tax Pro Review product, or at an H&R Block office.

Looks like this happened last year too, so they may yet fix it (regardless of what support says). Support says that they will try and put in a request.

I just can't see using a tax pro now that I don't itemize, heck it only takes 15 minutes to fill everything out.

It appears that the IRS hasn't yet updated the form, which they last did 1/24/19. This means no program has it yet.

H&R Block Twitter support can't say for sure it will arrive in the product, but that it could (though not until the IRS does their thing).

So if you will be claiming it I suggest that you be patientl

I decided to switch to H&R Block tax software this year because TaxAct has become ridiculously expensive and TurboTax (which I used last year) cost 50% more than H&R as well. I will be very disappointed if the H&R software doesn't support my EV credit like TurboTax did last year for my PacHy.

I had a similar issue last year with H&R Block. I wound up filing with them in person which you may want to consider. The 8911 form was not released at the time of my filing. Since I was getting a refund I did not want to hold it up for and undetermined period of time. Once the IRS form was available H&R supplemented the tax filing and all was good.

• Helpful
Reactions: Stach
Three years ago, when I installed a Clipper Creek EVSE for the Chevy Volt I leased, it was the same story -- H&R Block didn't support the form. It was possible to fill out the form manually, from a PDF downloaded from the IRS, and then enter an override in the H&R Block software. The problem with that approach is that it then became impossible to e-file; I had to print everything out and mail it in -- for both Federal and state taxes. This worked fine, but it was an annoying extra hoop through which I had to jump. Overriding and paper filing is probably easier than going to an H&R Block office to have them do it, but if I'd known beforehand, I would have forked out the extra bucks for TurboTax that year. A friend of mine, who'd bought a Chevy Volt and an EVSE that same year, told me that TurboTax did have the form.

I can't promise that any of this is certain to be true for the 2019 tax year, but your report makes it seem likely.

I bought the HR block fed+state from amazon via download; have not activated it yet. but from what I'm reading here, its basically NOT going to do the whole set of forms and won't efile?

hard to believe they (tax companies) can pick and choose which forms they support! never heard of that, but never had to do more than basic tax stuff before, anyway.

how does the 'do it in person with HR block' work if you already bought the software, but now can't use it?

this is so messed up. its a major form! how can they justify just ignoring it? wow, just wow ;(

Glad I found this thread. In another about the Federal tax credit in general I posted instructions on how to file Form 8911 on TurboTax. They don't appear to have programmed the form for this year, but you can manually enter the values by using the "Tax Tools." As soon as a draft of Form 8911 is posted on irs.gov/draftforms we should be able to pick Box 7 off of that and enter it into TurboTax.

I am very confused by this form. Line 10 says "do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9", but line 9 is specifically for a "business/investment use". I installed this HPWC for my own personal use, so does this form not actually apply? Everyone seems to think it does, but the form itself seems to be saying otherwise...

And, of course, I also use H&R Block, so they're no help.