Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

H&R Block Tax Software Missing Form 8911 in Deluxe Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2016 deluxe version of the program did NOT include a valuable form that many of us need:
Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit, Form 8911

I have not looked into 2017 in detail, but I have read that it is only included in the "Premium and Business" version.

I hope this helps someone avoid this problem!

I can't speak to 2017 but H&R Block Deluxe didn't include the form in 2016. I called them and they said I'd have to do that form by hand, transfer a number manually into the software, and mail my whole return to the government. Check irs.gov to see if the credit is still valid in 2017.

I can't speak to 2017 but H&R Block Deluxe didn't include the form in 2016. I called them and they said I'd have to do that form by hand, transfer a number manually into the software, and mail my whole return to the government. Check irs.gov to see if the credit is still valid in 2017.
Sorry, just saw that I repeated what everyone else said.

YMMV but when we bought our Tesla in 2015 the $7,500 tax credit basically wiped out our ability to get ANY credit for our Tesla High Power Wall Connector installation which theoretically should have been available via Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit, Form 8911. Only way for us to get it would have been to install our Tesla HPWC in 2016... which of course would have left us with much slower charging in 2015.

I don't remember the specific tax "gotcha" that didn't provide any Form 8911 tax credit but it was discussed in another TMC thread back then... and confirmed by our accountant.

Again, YMMV since EVERYBODY'S tax situation is different.

I do not see any relationship between eligibility for the Refueling Property credit and the EV credit. However, anyone who is paying AMT will not be eligible for the (home/personal use) Refueling Property credit.

Yes that was the issue. Our (and other Tesla buyers) $7,500 EV credit affected our AMT... which disallowed the Refueling Property credit.

That's the relationship... and why it would probably be better tax wise to take the Refueling Property credit and EV credits in different tax years.

As of today (3/9/2018) the H&R Block Deluxe software includes IRS form 8936, but it does not have IRS form 8911 "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit" which is needed to take credit for cost of EV charging equipment (30% of the cost up to $1000). I did call their online support and didn't get the impression they would be adding this. Will have to do what @gregd did last year! :(