Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had a SR+ for 7 days, returned it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had model 3 awd since September, no issues. Returned to car after Endgame to this black screen. Fiddled around without luck, finally did the two-scroll-wheel reboot and that helped.

I expect it is a recent software glitch, I'm on 8.5. Maybe related to the Elon tweet about adjusting the adaptive brightness

This is not a hardware issue or even really a software issue, but more of a user issue. I’m surprised after numerous service calls, appointments, and all the way here on page three nobody has been able to tell OP what’s going on. Here goes nothing.

This is the same issue that Sheryl Crow had and Elon Musk helped fix on Twitter. You needed to change your screen preference from night mode to auto. Your attached photo is just a picture of night mode during the day with 0% brightness. It’s partly a software issue because it shouldn’t be able to go 0% during the day, but a simple change of screen preference off night mode would have fixed this issue for you. If you take delivery of another car, you’ll likely still have the same problem.

Edit, link to tweet: Elon Musk on Twitter

My new P3D rebooted 6-10 times every time I drove it in the morning starting after the morning I took delivery. At first, Tesla said this was normal. Then the screen started to freeze sometimes instead of simply rebooting, so I returned it to the service center and they said it could be the computer but wanted to try a firmware update. It was definitely a hw issue.

Then I went through a few days of, "your car is first in line for service", "your car is behind a bunch of other cars and will take a couple days", "your car will be worked on tonight", "your car may be worked on over the weekend", etc. It was incredibly frustrating to hear a different story every time I spoke with someone at Tesla. In one day a branch manager contacted me and said my car was first in line to be repaired only a couple hours after a service person told me it was in line behind a bunch of cars. The same service person called me later in the day to say they may or may not get to it the next day because of all the cars in front of me. Finally, they returned the car to me on day 6 and the reboot issue was fixed. I asked if I could get an extension to the return window because my car had been in the shop for the majority of the first week and they agreed that that should be fine.

I took the car on a final small road trip to find out how much I really enjoyed it when it worked. I ended up returning it on day 8 (still well under 1k miles) because I just couldn't justify keeping it given the cost, service issues and the remaining body work they agreed to do (dent + missing paint in the middle of the driver's side door, almost 1cm misaligned door, miscellaneous other paint issues), and other work they didn't agree to do (the trunk fitment gaps were pretty ugly).

It was my dream car and I really wish it had worked out. If Tesla scales their service team to match their increased production, I hope to come back (maybe model Y?). As it is, I felt bad for all the overworked service people trying their best to compensate for the obvious QC problems at the factory, and frustrated that such an expensive car could have so many issues and require so much time out of the door.

For now, I bought a used Porsche Macan S for much cheaper than the P3D and really love it.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K and alloverx
Prior to software version 8.5 I had zero screen reboots. Since 8.5 it has been frequent. I’d see if you can get it in writing that the software update will remediate the issue otherwise you can return the car.

Same. I never had the issue before 8.5. However, just to be clear mine is actually blank and then boots with the tesla logo. the OP just seems to be in night mode and dim from what i can tell.

Reactions: JPUConn
Yup, I had a SR+ for 7 days, and just returned it. Ok here’s the story (signed up just to post this):

Ordered a black on black SR+ a week ago and took delivery last Friday

Delivery wasn’t super smooth: was told to show up a Burbank at 11am, did the orientation with 7 other M3 owners and was told my car is being prepared not yet ready. In group orientation, everyone found their car in parking lot by using the phone app and honking the horn or lights. I didn’t find mine. Was then told by Burbank my car is at Marina Del Rey location, 25 miles away. They uber’d me there, so was not a huge deal. Not smooth, but I wasn’t going to let that ruin my special M3 delivery day!
Got to the other delivery location, picked up the car, had 15 miles on it. Started navigation but it didn’t work- not available, it has AP. No big, maybe still map updating, used my phone Waze. About 5 miles from delivery center, while driving, the screen goes blank. Car still drove fine, but no screen visible. Was trying to find a place to pull over, then I realized the screen was rebooting, saw the big T logo. So I kept driving home, noticed that navigation is now available and I used it. I reasoned that maybe the map/nav was the cause of rebooting, temporary blanking the screen for 3 minutes or so.

Day 2-4 no issues, except maybe the phone app key doesn’t work 100% of the time. Sometimes had to use wallet key card.

Day 5, leaving office for lunch, got inside my M3, no screen, all black and shiny. I thought the car didn’t turn on, so I exited , locked and unlocked 3x. No change, still no screen, so I tried the shift lever, the car drives D and R. But kinda scary not knowing if it’s in P or not. While still at office parking lot, I recall YouTube video on how to reboot via scroll wheels hold, so I tried it. Saw the big T logo on screen after 30 sec or so, and then the screen returns to normal. I’m thinking- dang, I just got this thing. It seems to go blank screen after being parked for a while and upon returning, unlocking the door, the screen does not show up. This happened 6x on day 5 at work and at home. Every time, I soft rebooted to get the screen back to normal. Maybe not related, the M3 started “reduced camera / blind spot visibly” message, but that sometimes went away with reboot and sometimes not. I was rebooting several times a day. Made a service appointment from app, the earliest available was 2 weeks away, then a month away. So I picked the 2 week one. At my darker indoor garage I noticed that the screen is really not blank, but actually on and displaying, just very very dim. See pic attached. I turned the brightness to 100% to take that pic.

Day 6, to my surprise the M3 screen was fine in the morning when I got in! But when I went to lunch, same thing, blank/very dim screen. Dang! So I drove to the service center that I had the appointment for in 2 weeks, it also happens to be the dealership I bought/ordered from. They told me it was definitely a firmware issue, new one just came out, they will brute force a firmware update and that will fix it. So I asked, what if it’s a hardware issue? He assured me it’s firmware and it will get fixed. Happily picked up the car 2 hrs later, hopeful I won’t see the screen issue again. Nope! After being locked/parked, opening the door, the screen is blank again! Fudggggggge. Rebooted, drove it home, tested out a few more times and video’d on my phone the screen failure a few more times. It doesn’t always misbehave, it’s intermittent.

Day 7, drove the car to work 30 miles away. Yeah, the screen would blank out half the time when getting in, needing reboot to drive safely. Left work early to go to service center dealership, didn’t get the prior service advisor- Rene, so Blake helped me today. Showed him my screen failure video clips. Blake still insisted this is a software/firmware issue and Tesla engineer are working on it. I asked him how many M3 have come in for this issue? He said several, 5 or so this week. I told Blake and Rene I couldn’t find this screen going blank issue in online forums that required multiple reboots daily. Blake assured me that with patience my screen will be fixed with software updates. I told him excluding the possibility of hardware issue is not good systems engineering or simply technical trouble shooting. Blake actually question what kind of engineer I was, I told him aerospace and I’ve worked with SpaceX as well. Thought that was a bit rude, and didn’t want to hear Blake’s explanation bs- I asked what it takes to return and get another M3.
Drove the car 3 miles to the delivery center, Blake said they would call and give them a heads up I was coming in for return. I was not planning to return the car today, but Tesla service center refusing to consider hardware issue and wanting me to wait on my time to maybe fix my M3 in a few weeks or months, and Blake being Blake, I figured this is the right move. During my return, I tried to get them to trade me another new M3, same colors, spec, and they are in stock at that delivery location. Mine had less than 400miles and a defective screen. They thought about it, had the car, but said I would need to pay for the 2nd car and wait for the refund on the 1st car, which could be weeks- I forgot how long they said. Although I have the cash, I didn’t want to give them $90K+ and get one SR+ and wait for the return check. They almost didn’t want to take the return, the M3 was in perfect shape, maybe a little dirty, no scratches anywhere, they admit it was in returnable condition. But I didn’t have the 2 key cards, only one, the other was at home. After checking with supervisor, they said they’ll take the return, but I’ll need to return the other key card tomorrow. The return service advisor was Robert, he’s alright, got me a Uber ride home. The screen did go blank on Robert when he opened the door.

I really like the M3, If it wasn’t for the screen blanking out often, I would still have that M3. Instead I’m going to order another one after I confirm the refund is processed. Maybe I won’t get M3 #2 for a week or so, maybe a month max? I believe in Tesla and its products. I’m willing to give it another shot. Still own TSLA stock. I think I had a M3 SR+ with a defective screen and/or hardware. Suspect video driver.

Anyone else have this screen blanking/very dim issue on M3 requiring rebooting? Multiple times a day?
You absolutely did the right thing. As a model S owner for a few years and having dealt with so many friggin issues including hardware issues and autopilot issues in so tired of the Tesla kool aid.

I’m sick of the hype and sick of Elon promising BS online and under delivering constantly. Only as an owner does one come to know what the reality is with Teslas.

Just like you I really really wanted to support this company and will try to continue to do so. But it has become harder and harder to keep that stance.

For now, I bought a used Porsche Macan S for much cheaper than the P3D and really love it.

It was definitely eye-opening for me, even if only for a week.

There is 5000 new owners a week who didn’t return their cars. ;)

Weird flex on the Macan.

It’s not saying I didn’t like my steak so I asked for a credit.

Oh, I then went to Taco Bell and enjoyed their Double Crunch Gordita box for less money.

Yup, I had a SR+ for 7 days, and just returned it. Ok here’s the story (signed up just to post this):

We had the same black screen issue on M3 delivered 12/10/18. Screen went black often after start up as we started to back out of garage, and sometimes while driving. After a few SC visits and many soft and hard reboots for three weeks, I took it to Service Center and told them to keep it until it was fixed. They called two days later to pick it up. They replaced a computer and it was fixed. The car has been trouble free until about a week ago when the screen has gone black while driving several times. Firmware is v9.0 2019.8.5 3 aaa23d.
I'm sure the first problem was hardware, but the recent blackouts do seem firmware related. Hope they fix it soon, and update the amazing Autopilot to FSD. Best car we've ever owned, and I will put up with some bugs to be part of it. But it bothers my wife greatly.

Had my car since July. Occasionally get the blank screen, although it’s far less frequent the last few months. Maybe one percent of the start ups. It doesn’t bother me given it is so rare and easily resolved. Your issue does sound more serious and needing a hardware replacement or car replacement as you’re doing. Still , the car is great and worth that hassle if you can easily get a replacement.

Had my car since July. Occasionally get the blank screen, although it’s far less frequent the last few months. Maybe one percent of the start ups. It doesn’t bother me given it is so rare and easily resolved. Your issue does sound more serious and needing a hardware replacement or car replacement as you’re doing. Still , the car is great and worth that hassle if you can easily get a replacement.

same with you, had the car since december. maybe twice I had the startup on a blank screen. Easily sold with a soft reboot. This has never happened while driving. I agree with others, if this is happening alot please take it to SC.

There is 5000 new owners a week who didn’t return their cars. ;)
Your point? The service center I went to was totally maxed out and I have no confidence I'd be able to get anything fixed in the future.

Weird flex on the Macan.

That's exactly my point. The Macan is not a "cool" car but I love it way more than I did the 3.

It’s not saying I didn’t like my steak so I asked for a credit.
Oh, I then went to Taco Bell and enjoyed their Double Crunch Gordita box for less money.
And?

Reactions: sceptic
Your point? The service center I went to was totally maxed out and I have no confidence I'd be able to get anything fixed in the future.

Right because Tesla can't open up additional service centers? Like how they went from 1 totally maxed centers in San Diego to 3 not totally maxed now?

That's exactly my point. The Macan is not a "cool" car but I love it way more than I did the 3.

I didn't say it was uncool - you did.

Yes, you are allowed to love the Macan more than the 3. The universe allows free will because you can't make smart decisions if you are not allowed to have a choice to make dumb decisions. Enjoy your uncool car all you want. I burn Macans every day - and twice on Sunday. When I don't feel like toasting Porsche's, I can turn on AP and crack a cold one.

It's funny. In China, there is a term for that:

土豪, tǔháo - Tacky rich.

Rich enough to buy a 3P, but tacky enough to return it for a Macan and boast about it.

You could have done something awesome like

"Returned my garbage 3 because I am tired of amateur hour at Tesla. Driving a Veyron now. Bugatti takes care of their customers!".

But nooo.. you went to dime a dozen "Bob's Porsche World" and got a used Macan and flexing. LMAO

I usually hate Mondays but today is great.

Last edited:
it happened to me 2 days after taken delivery on 4/10/2019.

returned from work, opened the door and the screen was completely dark. shift the car in R an the mirrors lowered, so I knew it would drive.
did a hard reboot (push 2 wheels + break pedal - soft reboot is without break pedal), and never had the same issue since.
Hard reboot - car not drive-able during process
Soft reboot - you can operate the vehicle
I provided the time and date of the incident so Tesla is able to go back and check what caused it.

similar thing happened with navigation: although driving, the map showed me at the same location of departure and not moving. hard reboot fixed it, and reported to Tesla again.

You did the right thing by returning it.

if I may ask, did Tesla refund you 100% of the cost, including taxes, fees and delivery? or what was your final out of pocket cost for your 7 days test drive?

Enjoy your uncool car all you want. I burn Macans every day - and twice on Sunday. When I don't feel like toasting Porsche's, I can turn on AP and crack a cold one.
I'm the tacky one?

Enjoy your toasting and burning broski. This has been fun.

Good luck to those who are experiencing the reboot issue. I hope you get them fixed or find an alternative like I did (even if it means you're burned by MXWingBro). I hope Tesla does open more service centers in the near future and fixes some of the QC issues.

My M3 started have the same issue after updating to 2019.12.cb68c3d. It happens one or two times a day usually after sitting for a few hours. I have had the car since October 2018 and never saw this issue until the last software update. I am assuming that it is a software bug and hopefully Tesla will correct it in the next update.

This is not a hardware issue or even really a software issue, but more of a user issue. I’m surprised after numerous service calls, appointments, and all the way here on page three nobody has been able to tell OP what’s going on. Here goes nothing.

This is the same issue that Sheryl Crow had and Elon Musk helped fix on Twitter. You needed to change your screen preference from night mode to auto. Your attached photo is just a picture of night mode during the day with 0% brightness. It’s partly a software issue because it shouldn’t be able to go 0% during the day, but a simple change of screen preference off night mode would have fixed this issue for you. If you take delivery of another car, you’ll likely still have the same problem.

Edit, link to tweet: Elon Musk on Twitter

Really?! Did you read the entire post? The attach photo was taken indoor garage with the brightness turned up to 100%. Yes I knew about Sheryl Crow’s tweet exchange with Elon. My M3 screen issue wasn’t as simple as that. Thank you for sharing. My car had the latest and the 2nd latest software/firmware.

it happened to me 2 days after taken delivery on 4/10/2019.

if I may ask, did Tesla refund you 100% of the cost, including taxes, fees and delivery? or what was your final out of pocket cost for your 7 days test drive?

Hopefully they will be refunding the entire 100% of the cost. I haven’t received anything refund yet. I’m expecting 100% back soon, as I do plan to order another M3.

I can’t believe some folks think my screen was just in night mode dim, when I took the pic. No photo that was the brightness fully up at 100%.

Chances are most M3 screen glitches are software / firmware correctable. Likely related to the MCU.

But to say there is NO cases or possibly of hardware failure that causes M3 screen glitches, going blank or dim- that’s where I would like to discuss/explore, because I don’t think this has been proven, and my M3 maybe in this category.

I don’t want Tesla to figure this out in a month or 3 or 6 months- on my time- and maybe eventually replace my screen or MCU. Thus, return and order again...

And I have no idea WTF the macan conversation is going, or where it came from...

Last edited:
Reactions: UTMB