Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an overnight demo of a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I had an overnight demo of a Model S 75D last night. It was my first time driving a Tesla. And I have to say....WOW! The driving dynamic of that car is completely different than anything I've ever driven before. That low center of gravity made it handle like a champ. Acceleration was so effortless, passing on the highway was so simple and one-pedal driving was so good. The onboard technology was so simple after going through all the menus once. I was able to learn the inner workings of the car within a few minutes, but I am working in the technology field so it might have been easier for me than others.

I have a reservation in for a Model 3 since 4/1/2016 but I have to admit, I've been looking at Inventory Model S' since I got home. I was afraid the Model S would have been too large for my liking but it honestly was not at all. It handled like a smaller car and the increased length was nothing of concern. I

went to dinner with my wife last night and I was able to plug it into a HPWC across the parking lot from the restaurant that was available to the public. That was neat. I charged it overnight in my garage using 110v and got a few extra kms by morning. Woke up early to open it up on some quiet roads and the wife loved driving it too. Autopilot was only used a bit...where it would let me. I had it going on Hwy 410 during rush hour yesterday and I can see how this changes the way people do daily commutes. I can definitely see myself getting used to using AP once I get a Tesla of my own.

The car I drove had the following features:
  1. All-Wheel Drive
  2. Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
  3. Panoramic Roof
  4. 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
  5. Tan Next Generation Seats
  6. Figured Ash Wood Décor
  7. Integrated Center Console
  8. Alcantara Headliner
  9. Free Supercharging
  10. Enhanced Autopilot
  11. Premium Upgrades Package
  12. Smart Air Suspension
  13. Subzero Weather Package

Have any of you had a similar experience and ended up ordering an S or even an X? I'd like to hear your stories.

Cheers!

Similar here, but not totally the same. I'm Tesla Roadster owner, and had been planning on replacing it with two Model 3s for my wife and I. After a few Model S loaners and some deeper thinking, I've just about decided to get a Model S for myself and a Model 3 for my wife. She wouldn't like the bigger car, but I don't mind it and would enjoy it for longer trips with more people.

Technologically I have a feeling the Model 3 will be a step ahead, but I certainly don't think I'll be let down by a Model S.

Hi All,

I had an overnight demo of a Model S 75D last night. It was my first time driving a Tesla. And I have to say....WOW! The driving dynamic of that car is completely different than anything I've ever driven before. That low center of gravity made it handle like a champ. Acceleration was so effortless, passing on the highway was so simple and one-pedal driving was so good. The onboard technology was so simple after going through all the menus once. I was able to learn the inner workings of the car within a few minutes, but I am working in the technology field so it might have been easier for me than others.

I have a reservation in for a Model 3 since 4/1/2016 but I have to admit, I've been looking at Inventory Model S' since I got home. I was afraid the Model S would have been too large for my liking but it honestly was not at all. It handled like a smaller car and the increased length was nothing of concern. I

went to dinner with my wife last night and I was able to plug it into a HPWC across the parking lot from the restaurant that was available to the public. That was neat. I charged it overnight in my garage using 110v and got a few extra kms by morning. Woke up early to open it up on some quiet roads and the wife loved driving it too. Autopilot was only used a bit...where it would let me. I had it going on Hwy 410 during rush hour yesterday and I can see how this changes the way people do daily commutes. I can definitely see myself getting used to using AP once I get a Tesla of my own.

1. All-Wheel Drive
  3. Panoramic Roof
  8. Alcantara Headliner
  9. Free Supercharging
  10. Enhanced Autopilot
  12. Smart Air Suspension

Have any of you had a similar experience and ended up ordering an S or even an X? I'd like to hear your stories.

Cheers!

Hi Could you talk a bit more about how you got the test drive?
Did you rent a model S or was it like a schedule test drive from the tesla store?

As for me, I've been experiencing what you are going through since last April. I too am a M3 Reservation holder since March 31st 2016. As of now I went to 4 test drive and possibly a 5th by this summer. I test drivo every Tesla car so far except the roadster and the 100D. I remenber as well how it felt the first time I drove the model S. and honestly the only reason why I didn't buy one the same night was because of my financial situation at the time.
Now I am kind of happy I didn't buy the model S. Everytime I have an urge, I schedule a test drive, have fun then focus on the bigger picture. Model 3. I can get the model 3 Full equip for the same the based price of a model S, too me that is worth the wait.
Also there will be new technology, new interior, possibly an HUD. The last thing I would want is to loose my reservation place to get a model S and then when the 3 comes, I would be full of regrets for not having one.

There will always be a model S around, but as model 3 reservation holders we are in a position that alot of people in the world wish they had. If you can manage to have an S without loosing your spot I say go for it, But if you are thinking of canceling your order for a model S, than please keep me in mind, I would buy the model 3 from you on delivery...

Hi All,

1. All-Wheel Drive
  3. Panoramic Roof
  8. Alcantara Headliner
  9. Free Supercharging
  10. Enhanced Autopilot
  12. Smart Air Suspension

Cheers!

I had the exact same experience as you, with the exception that I live in Europe, so my wait for the M3 would probably have been even longer.

But after a MS test drive in the fall and looking through the economy, I ended up going for a S 75 and cancel my preorder. I really couldn't stand to wait until mid 2018 or later after trying out the MS.
It doesn't have all of the features you listed, but still a fantastic car never the less! And I have yet to regret my decision. It is a big car, especially for European conditions. But looking at the M3 measurements, that's not going to be that much smaller.

My plan is to keep it for 5 years at least, and then I will see if I want a M3 to drive a bit cheaper or stay with the MS. I guess by the end of 2021 it should be easier to get one, the first year problems should be ironed out and maybe they will still put current owners in front of the line.

One thing is for sure, I'm not going back to fossil cars.

Similar here, but not totally the same. I'm Tesla Roadster owner, and had been planning on replacing it with two Model 3s for my wife and I. After a few Model S loaners and some deeper thinking, I've just about decided to get a Model S for myself and a Model 3 for my wife. She wouldn't like the bigger car, but I don't mind it and would enjoy it for longer trips with more people.

Technologically I have a feeling the Model 3 will be a step ahead, but I certainly don't think I'll be let down by a Model S.

Hey,

Having a roadster must be pretty awesome! Are you going to be trading it in on an S?

My wife drove the demo S we had and she loved it. I thought it would be too big for her...even for myself at first but she drove it quite well. She was impressed by the on-demand power as well. It's definitely perfect for longer trips since it's so spacious and has a HUGE trunk.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Hi Could you talk a bit more about how you got the test drive?
Did you rent a model S or was it like a schedule test drive from the tesla store?

As for me, I've been experiencing what you are going through since last April. I too am a M3 Reservation holder since March 31st 2016. As of now I went to 4 test drive and possibly a 5th by this summer. I test drivo every Tesla car so far except the roadster and the 100D. I remenber as well how it felt the first time I drove the model S. and honestly the only reason why I didn't buy one the same night was because of my financial situation at the time.
Now I am kind of happy I didn't buy the model S. Everytime I have an urge, I schedule a test drive, have fun then focus on the bigger picture. Model 3. I can get the model 3 Full equip for the same the based price of a model S, too me that is worth the wait.
Also there will be new technology, new interior, possibly an HUD. The last thing I would want is to loose my reservation place to get a model S and then when the 3 comes, I would be full of regrets for not having one.

There will always be a model S around, but as model 3 reservation holders we are in a position that alot of people in the world wish they had. If you can manage to have an S without loosing your spot I say go for it, But if you are thinking of canceling your order for a model S, than please keep me in mind, I would buy the model 3 from you on delivery...

There a Tesla Event listed up last month for overnight test drives. I signed up then and just got a call back this past week for it. The event ended in February but they are still working through the backlog of people who signed up. I picked up the car from the Oakville service center, which is a nice place by the way.

And that's just it. For the price of an S, I can get into a fully loaded 3 for probably less than a 75D S with options. The overnight demo was a blessing and a curse because now I know exactly what I'm missing out on. The other thing is, any new technology that Tesla debuts will likely hit the S and the X first since Elon Musk stated that they will always be the technology leaders in the lineup. Which makes sense because they are the larger margin vehicles for profit.

I had the exact same experience as you, with the exception that I live in Europe, so my wait for the M3 would probably have been even longer.

But after a MS test drive in the fall and looking through the economy, I ended up going for a S 75 and cancel my preorder. I really couldn't stand to wait until mid 2018 or later after trying out the MS.
It doesn't have all of the features you listed, but still a fantastic car never the less! And I have yet to regret my decision. It is a big car, especially for European conditions. But looking at the M3 measurements, that's not going to be that much smaller.

My plan is to keep it for 5 years at least, and then I will see if I want a M3 to drive a bit cheaper or stay with the MS. I guess by the end of 2021 it should be easier to get one, the first year problems should be ironed out and maybe they will still put current owners in front of the line.

One thing is for sure, I'm not going back to fossil cars.

Congrats on your S75! And yeah you're right. It's about a 10% or so difference for the dimensions.

Waiting until 2018 is going to be hard. I know we likely won't see any 3's in Canada until then.

Reactions: Blackout
There a Tesla Event listed up last month for overnight test drives. I signed up then and just got a call back this past week for it. The event ended in February but they are still working through the backlog of people who signed up. I picked up the car from the Oakville service center, which is a nice place by the way.

I don't know why I'm always late for these events...Did you get a notice for it by email or something? I would have love to go there too...I was at the Oakville service center when they launched it...Yah it is a nice place.

My wife and I test drove the S and the X and we ended up going with the S. My wife was concerned that it was going to be too large but she's gotten used to it and doesn't mind the size at all. We wish it had the "bird's eye view" backup camera system like our previous car a Leaf.

We have a Model 3 on order but we likely won't end up buying it if it only comes in sedan format. If it's a small CUV perhaps ....

My wife and I test drove the S and the X and we ended up going with the S. My wife was concerned that it was going to be too large but she's gotten used to it and doesn't mind the size at all. We wish it had the "bird's eye view" backup camera system like our previous car a Leaf.

We have a Model 3 on order but we likely won't end up buying it if it only comes in sedan format. If it's a small CUV perhaps ....

Looks like the Model Y would be right up your alley!