Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my test drive yesterday, probably gonna bail out because...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess size is a relative thing... my Toyota Avalon is a mid-size car, but measures nearly identical to the Model S (just 3" slimmer, and 2" taller, same length). It's turning radius was/is great, as we had to pull into a drive way, and back up and turn around during our test drive due to traffic issues and road construction. It handled extremely well at low speeds and in tight spaces... and we had nearly a half hour driving the car. I was pleased.

But like it's been said here already... everyone has their tastes and certain expectations that must be met in their cars.

I'm hoping that I'll have another chance or two to drive the car, before my production time comes due. Hopefully to drive it a night, for one.

Looking at the Avalon specs on the toyota site, it lists the width as 72.8", length 197.6", and curb weight as 3572 lbs. An extra 4.5" of width and 1100 lbs is a big difference in my opinion. How does your Avalon move around with 4 250 pound occupants and 2 big suitcases. Just a wee bit more mass I'd say.

Looking at the Avalon specs on the toyota site, it lists the width as 72.8", length 197.6", and curb weight as 3572 lbs. An extra 4.5" of width and 1100 lbs is a big difference in my opinion. How does your Avalon move around with 4 250 pound occupants and 2 big suitcases. Just a wee bit more mass I'd say.

Yeah, it's not often (if ever), that I've had 4 adults riding in our Avalon. Usually just our two children (7 and 9). Not that I was critiquing the Model S from a parking lot perspective, I just found no surprises in its handling characteristics - other than it felt very solid (not in a heavy way, but in a strong way), and very quiet.

I also have a 2006 Cadillac DTS, that's a full size car, and you know it... plus its turning radius is horrible. It's also about 18" longer (visually). Not to mention wider and taller.

I've also had a 95 S500 - that, that felt like a tank. It was a car meant for the autobahn, a highway cruiser, and not to the grocery store! It had a 26 gallon tank on it too.

You got 1/2 hour with this?? I only got 7 mins here in Chicago - the test "track" was only a touch over 4 miles!

Yeah, due to a wreck or something on the road, our highway drive segment was more of stop and go segment. Followed by let's find an alternate route out of here - explore mode.
Here's the video of our drive... http://youtu.be/Px2OVJDajMQ

@smorgasboard, thanks. You're right. Dimensions are 207 x 74.8w x 57.6h

I've also had a 95 S500 - that, that felt like a tank. It was a car meant for the autobahn, a highway cruiser, and not to the grocery store! It had a 26 gallon tank on it too.

We also had a 97 S500 tank. Length-199", width-75", weight-4686 lbs. My wife commented she thought the Model S rode like this car with a vaultlike solid feel on the road at speed although the Tesla dramatically handled better on turns. She just remembered what a pain it was to use for running around town and doing errands/food shopping etc. And the Tesla S is 2" wider. I just hope the Model S 40kW drives lighter so I can think of getting it as a second car for me. Maybe she'd learn to love it then and we can ditch her Lexus.

Do you mean the weight or the width made it a pain to run errands? The electric powertrain and the one pedal driving might actually make it better for errands around town. I'm not sure the 40kWh version will feel any better. Definitely take a longer drive and try the different steering settings. Maybe that was it. The frunk will also be a nice feature for shopping I think.

Do you mean the weight or the width made it a pain to run errands? The electric powertrain and the one pedal driving might actually make it better for errands around town. I'm not sure the 40kWh version will feel any better. Definitely take a longer drive and try the different steering settings. Maybe that was it. The frunk will also be a nice feature for shopping I think.

The S500 was just a car that felt and acted massive. It had plenty of power, very solid, really quiet, really smooth, and the turning radius not great, but wasn't overly bad - considering the ultra long wheel base. My DTS is worse. With the S500 it was just a matter of getting mass in motion. It wasn't spry and nimble. It wasn't meant to be.

I think the Model S is a perfect balance - for an all-round car. Certainly not a Nissan Leaf, which in my mind is really just a metro car. I don't think the Model S was ever designed to be just a city car. With the big battery packs and all, this car was meant for longer drives.

My wife sat in the back seat during both the Leaf and Model S drives, and her comment was that the leaf backseat "must not be meant to seat adults".

Weird. I have a Leaf, and when I adjust the front seat for myself (I'm 6'2") I sit quite comfortable in the back seat "behind myself". It is certainly better than most backseats I've tried, though I don't know many people with big BMWs or Mercedes cars ;)