Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my test drive yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Following my post earlier this week I had my test drive yesterday.

Took out a MS 100D for a 50 minute drive and then an MX for a 30 minute drive. As I thought it is the MS that is most suitable to me, while I like the X and the space, the falcon wing doors are the issue for me as they stop the use of a top box and the reduced mileage would force me into having to buy a 90D or 100D in the MX to cover my needs.

Both vehicles were excellent and drove really well, the MX had autopilot so I was able to try that out on the M4 around Bristol, it's a bit of a Head f**k to try to relax when it's on, but I'm sure I would get more used to it over time, felt quite tense using it on the test drive but that is to be expected when having a car drive itself for the first time.

I was extremely impressed by both the handling and performance of the MS, held the road much better than I was expecting and the acceleration is shocking for suck a large and heavy car. I have a 911 C4 Cab and TBH in a straight line the MS was faster up to 70. Felt nearly as good on the corners and roundabouts, though was careful during the test drive and would probably be able to get more out of it if it was mine.

I was also very impressed by the Tesla team and the sale advisor who took me out for a drive. I found it a very different and more relaxing experience that previous test drives with other manufactures, no sales pressure and a very honest discussion of what the pro's and con's were of each model. Also the fact that the time allowed to drive was much longer than I find you normally get from standard manufactures who just want you to drive around the block and then spend 70k on a car.

So I think my decision is made, it's going to be a 75D and will be trying to get one form current inventory, so will be keeping my eye on the site over the next couple of weeks hoping they stock up on different ones there, also the sales guys said they will keep their eyes on their stock sheets as well as they see more cars there.

Preferred car would be Red, Black or White in colour, Sunroof, Black Premium Leather seats, Smart Suspension, Enhanced Autopilot, Black headliner and carbon trim with 19 inch standard wheels (which I'd get coloured black by someone if I got a red car).

Hopefully will be able to get an order in prior to the 31st Jan so as to take advantage of a referral code and get the supercharger access as that would be a nice benefit (though not an essential to the purchase).

Thanks again for the advice some of you gave me the other day and I'll keep you informed as I progress with the car.

ps anyone want to buy a nice 911 C4 Cab

Taff

Amazing how many competitors are losing sales to Tesla.

D’you think so? I don’t, a Tesla is the only car in the world to have all the magic ingredients to tempt people away from the ICE age. What surprises me more is how slow the competition is in waking up to that fact and doing something about it.

Even then, Jaguar, for example,seem to believe it’s not their responsibility to worry about a long distance charging solution, leaving that to others. The Supercharging network remains a significant USP, even if the iPace is a viable alternative as a BEV (which doesn’t do it for me but that’s a subjective view).

I think the other car companies are struggling to change their business models and they didn't expect Tesla to be able to scale up so quickly and for people to take a gamble on a new company with a different business model.

We have to remember that we are dealing with organisations that are old school and like the oil tankers, are very hard to change direction.

JLR are an interesting example though of an old company who have now been able to change and react to the changing market place and under the new TATA leadership are very happy to move quickly into new markets and release cars quickly to market.

While I've been watching the EV market for a while it has really surpassed me that all of the big manufactures are still stating 2020 for them to really bring anything to the market that would be a true competitor to the S, X and 3. There is still a lot of room for them to succeed in the market as there will be many people who still want a VW, Audi, Ford etc, but if Elon can really start to ship Model 3's in serious numbers in 2018/19 then I think they will then start to have their cake eaten by someone else.

The new world of start ups and challenger manufactures is great for the industry as you need this to really shake the tree and come up with different options for people, we see the same thing now with financial institutions with many new challenger banks starting to eat into the traditional market place.

Long may the spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship continue

Taff

I think the other car companies are struggling to change their business models

I take a darker view, I'm afraid, which is that it was deliberate in order to continue Oil dependency "I'm all right Jack and I don't give a Fig about the consequences". Much like the Tobacco companies did a while back ...

there will be many people who still want a VW

We've been long time VW buyers, but I'm never buying another car from any of their brands as long as I live. I've taken the same attitude with the likes of Sharkleys ... lying & cheating is not acceptable, I certainly don't want to be seen to be supporting such a company, and past experience tells me that its usually endemic, rather than just a one-off. So who's to say that they haven't taken the same attitude with, say, safety?

I also find it completely unacceptable that, as a company, VW decided that they didn't need to pay any compensation in EU despite being completely hauled over the coals in USA. That left people like me owning VW cars and wanting to make an early exit but having to personally pay for loss on depreciation from earlier sale than normal, and penalties on finance. Yeah, well, that's cost them by business.

all of the big manufactures are still stating 2020 for them to really bring anything to the marke

I think they are going to find it really difficult to get enough batteries for the number of cars they propose building. Personally I'm doubtful that existing marques will survive this quantum change. History has shown that to be the case in the past too ... so probably going to be buying cars from Apple, Google, Dyson and the like - not to mention the Chinese which are hell-bent on BEV production, and will probably soak up all local battery production. So I can see Exit Stage Left for the likes of BMW, Merc, VW in a decade's time ...

if Elon can really start to ship Model 3's in serious numbers in 2018/19

Some delay in ramping up in Q4 2017, but if he achieves target then he will be at 10K units per week by end 2018. Small Beer compared to the assembly lines of the big makers, but I come back to where will they get enough batteries from?. Car makers have outsourced so much of late that I think Tesla's in-house approach will win out, particularly with the combined approach of BEV Car, Battery production and Solar PV. Wall Street still keeps recommending SELL though :p

Reactions: Supertaff
JLR are an interesting example though of an old company who have now been able to change and react to the changing market place and under the new TATA leadership are very happy to move quickly into new markets and release cars quickly to market.

Yes I agree, and the iPace is the first serious competitor to Tesla so well done to them for that. However, whilst they are to be congratulated on that, they still have the view that the refuelling of the car is not something they should be concerned about - much like petrol stations are the preserve of others.

:eek: "So range won’t be an issue for most drivers, especially with a growing public infrastructure of charging points." So says their website. I certainly wouldn't be tempted away from Tesla, or indeed go BEV, if I had to rely on the public infrastructure.

While I've been watching the EV market for a while it has really surpassed me that all of the big manufactures are still stating 2020 for them to really bring anything to the market that would be a true competitor to the S, X and 3.

I wonder how much of this is down to compliance cars, and taking @WannabeOwner point on oil dependency seems to bear this out.

if Elon can really start to ship Model 3's in serious numbers in 2018/19 then I think they will then start to have their cake eaten by someone else.

I agree, and reading a review from a non employee owner of a Model 3 it's looking pretty good. Fit and finish much better than the early S and X, great handling and at a price point that'll make many more people take an interest.

I do wonder if the biggest threat to Tesla is themselves - if they can't get the support infrastructure and comms right the thing could implode. Whether that actually matters, as they'd be snapped up by some one else, I don't know, but it's certainly an exciting time and I'm pleased to be able to be a part of it - even if my wife and family think I've lost the plot :rolleyes:

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Glad to hear you liked the car. You really should drive the 75 instead of the 100 if that is what you plan to drive as you will not have the same acceleration. Or they can put the 100 in 75 mode for you (haven’t heard lately but they used to be able to do that).
We have an X90D and drove a 75 as a loaner and there is definitely a power difference.

Hi All,

I was also very impressed by the Tesla team and the sale advisor who took me out for a drive. I found it a very different and more relaxing experience that previous test drives with other manufactures, no sales pressure and a very honest discussion of what the pro's and con's were of each model. Also the fact that the time allowed to drive was much longer than I find you normally get from standard manufactures who just want you to drive around the block and then spend 70k on a car.

I actually commented to the sales person on my test drive about how nice it was to be able to verbalize how much I liked the car without fear of them thinking I was too excited to give me a deal.

Hi @Supertaff welcome to the "cult" ;) If you would like a referral code please give me a shout :) The chaps as Brissol are great & I also really enjoyed the lack of a hard sell & the freedom to actually be excited about a car without fear of a salesman seeing you coming so to speak.

My first drive was a P100DL which was awesome but I was never going to afford one so I arranged to go down to Bristol & drive a 75D and I ended up purchasing a 75RWD. I have white with the white interior which never seems to come up on inventory so I had to endure "The Wait". Worth it in the end though, loving the car. Just done most of my commute to work - A roads & motorway & more A roads - on autopilot this morning including a long stint stuck in a queue behind a tractor & it makes life so much more relaxing.

I started my EV journey thinking I was going to buy the new iPace next year but as I looked into it more the Tesla looked like such a better overall package. The finance that was available in Sept tipped me over the edge & I bought on the last day the RWD cars were available. Now more details have come out about the iPace I'm glad I bought a Tesla.

As for selling your ICE, I sold my Lexus RX through a company called Revilo. They were fair to deal with & gave me a better figure than Tesla. Or you could try Tootle I had offers through that too but not as high as Revilo. I was trying to sell just before Xmas though which really limited my options.

Good luck & enjoy the adventure ;)

Glad to hear you liked the car. You really should drive the 75 instead of the 100 if that is what you plan to drive as you will not have the same acceleration. Or they can put the 100 in 75 mode for you (haven’t heard lately but they used to be able to do that).
We have an X90D and drove a 75 as a loaner and there is definitely a power difference.

Thanks for the info, I was under the impression now (maybe incorrectly) that there 75D and the 100D were to all intents the same speed, now the 75D had been unlocked (uncorked) and given the speed boost in 0 - 60.

I thought the only tangible difference was the range and maybe the ultimate top speed, not that I think I will get close to 150mph?

Cheers

Taff

Just had confirmation that my finance has been approved :)

Still need to a couple of things before I can proceed.

1) Wife to drive car, shouldn't be a major problem as it's a comfy car and she will be happy I'm getting rid of the 911 as she refuses to dive it as it's too uncomfortable for her.
2) Need clearance from my accountants that all my figures add up. I'm sure they do, but need it checked based on the fact that I'm using my corporation tax as a large deposit.
3) I can find a current inventory car to the specification I want. they have the spec in 90D and 100D at the moment, but not in the 75D, hoping now we are in the new year, some new stock will be released.

Cheers

Taff

I thought the only tangible difference was the range and maybe the ultimate top speed

And Supercharging speed (which is definitely significant, on paper at least!, for anyone doing 250+ mile trips often enough to appreciate the difference). but, yeah, I think the 0-60 is very similar 75 and 100 non-P models. Either way, 4s in the 75 is good enough (well, for anyone for whom that isn't then I reckon they need to be looking at a P-model :) )

Hi @Supertaff

As for selling your ICE, I sold my Lexus RX through a company called Revilo. They were fair to deal with & gave me a better figure than Tesla. Or you could try Tootle I had offers through that too but not as high as Revilo. I was trying to sell just before Xmas though which really limited my options.

Good luck & enjoy the adventure ;)

Cheers for the link to Revilo, have passed on my details onto them so will see what offer they come back with.

Taff

Reactions: CotswoldSara
Just had confirmation that my finance has been approved :)

Still need to a couple of things before I can proceed.

1) Wife to drive car, shouldn't be a major problem as it's a comfy car and she will be happy I'm getting rid of the 911 as she refuses to dive it as it's too uncomfortable for her.
2) Need clearance from my accountants that all my figures add up. I'm sure they do, but need it checked based on the fact that I'm using my corporation tax as a large deposit.
3) I can find a current inventory car to the specification I want. they have the spec in 90D and 100D at the moment, but not in the 75D, hoping now we are in the new year, some new stock will be released.

Cheers

Taff
Don't bother with the tesla site, it generally only a proportion of their inventory. Use my site, Tesla.savemykegs.com/forsale.html Filter on new, and see what’s available. Tesla may have cars they’ve never published before but 75s are in limited supply. You may find a ‘new’ 90D is similar money as the battery isn’t a current model.