Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3's on (July) 28th!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else notice the pictures on Tesla will deliver the first 30 Model 3s on July 28th

tesla-model-3-deliveries-2017-07-03-01.jpg

tesla-model-3-deliveries-2017-07-03-02.jpg

Is it just me, or did someone lean on the passenger side mirror?

Elon is a master of media hype. So much digital ink was spilled over this announcement, and what do we get..

production for 2017 is right around, if not slightly less than he guided a month ago
launch/reveal event coming before end of the month -- ohhhhh, surprise there

so essentially he has his entire customer base excited, clicking refresh until the final minutes of the day so he can tell us essentially nothing..

how about a configurator date? guidance on east coast/west coast deliveries? put to rest the speculation on interior...something worth waiting around for

Terminology is important. Production cars are vehicles legally eligible for regular registration. A customer is someone who pays Tesla for the car.

How the cars are made and who is the customer has not been disclosed.

There may be some civilians in the group of 30 at the end of the month as that choice would create the best impression. Musk will just have any complainers secretly killed.

Awesome news. There goes that rumor about thousands of Model 3s being delivered in July.
And this, like many things Elon says, is to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm a huge fan of Elon but I wish he delivered more on what he said (remember that <90s battery swapping?). A year ago Elon said he expected to produce between 100K to 200K Model 3s in 2017... and now we are looking at (optimistically) 39K and realistically more like 25-30K (I suspect his December 20K tweet means 'hit the 20K/month rate at some point in December' rather than 'produce 20K in December').

Here's the link to his original M3 predictions Elon Musk: Tesla Model 3 Production Target Is Up To 200,000 In Second Half Of 2017

Elon is a master of media hype. So much digital ink was spilled over this announcement, and what do we get..

production for 2017 is right around, if not slightly less than he guided a month ago
launch/reveal event coming before end of the month -- ohhhhh, surprise there

so essentially he has his entire customer base excited, clicking refresh until the final minutes of the day so he can tell us essentially nothing..
He is telling us that the early(ier) estimates do not require revision.

That is EXCITING news.

Reactions: nikeykid
how about a configurator date? guidance on east coast/west coast deliveries? put to rest the speculation on interior...something worth waiting around for
I don't know why anyone would have expected to find out any of that info. All anyone should have expected was the date of the final reveal - everything else was bonus info. I'm just hoping that "handover party" means "final reveal".

Reactions: KJD
Why would people who put money down on a car over a year ago know what they are actually getting within a month of them hitting the streets?...

I think you are setting your expectations very low, sir. I recently ordered an all-new xc60. the car will be available AFTER the model 3 and the final design is known. you can test drive it. you know option pricing. when you order, you'll know within 2 weeks what your estimated delivery date is.

i know tesla has redefined the way purchasing a car can work, and many of these ways are great. but they are still waaaaay behind the times in others.

I don't know why anyone would have expected to find out any of that info. All anyone should have expected was the date of the final reveal - everything else was bonus info. I'm just hoping that "handover party" means "final reveal".

They were revised -- even lower

like 2-3 months ago, he stated 100K-200K cars in 2017.
later he amended to 80K
now it is more like 40-50K

how is that exciting news? sure its great they are starting to build cars very soon, but if you look past that fact, you are likely waiting longer for your vehicle that you were guided earlier. and the slower the model 3 ramp, the fewer full tax credits that will be available for us.

He is telling us that the early(ier) estimates do not require revision.

That is EXCITING news.

I am going to stop wasting my time trying to add water to the cups of folks who are adamant in seeing everything half empty, let alone pay attention to the stock shorts, but consider this:

Tesla is in the final stretch of bring Model 3 to market, and it makes good marketing sense to tweet Good (tm) news. Investors stop nagging, reservations are not cancelled, and stock valuation goes up allowing Tesla to borrow money cheaply for the build-out. The flip side though is that Even Better (tm) news is held in reserve to hedge against future hiccoughs and because the market likes nothing better than to be pleasantly surprised. So I think if fair to view Elon's tweets yesterday as a floor for production in 2017. This is probably the most likely production scenario, but an undisclosed, albeit less likely, higher production is possible.

80K != 40K

i think the problem here is that given the track record, tesla was expected by many to not even deliver model 3's in 2017..but when the delivering half of what you guided a month before production becomes a win, to me -- the expectation is too low.

maybe elon is tempering expectation so he can exceed..only time will tell.

Those numbers were never "guidance," Elon talked about them a year ago and framed them as a hope. Guidance was during the Q1 conference call in early April, and they remain on track.

Amazing

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8 and KJD
Status
Not open for further replies.