Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is early with only about 250 miles on the tires so far but I can say they are crazy efficient. I averaged (lifetime) 221 Wh/mi with the Pilot 4 tires. These are giving me 214 Wh/mi so far. I reset trip when I had the tires installed.
@Cecasejr you still seeing some good efficiency since this post?
After about 500 miles, my avg wh/mi is running in the 270 range with the Hankooks vs about 295 with the Michelins that I had on before. Bonus
@Prodock same question to you
So far I like them! They are smooth and quiet. Efficiency seems to be improved, though I haven’t done the math yet. Overall I am happy with them.
@Jazak I think I remember you put these on your X. Still seeing some good efficiency?

For all of you, how's wear been. Same as standard tires, better, or TBD?

I'm 32.6K miles into my Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus's and it's time to move on from them. Thanks for answering my questions.

Those PSAS4’s must really suck (or badly worn) if they spin during hard launches. I have a M3P, and have never experienced any type of spin on either the OEM Conti ProContacts or on these new Hankook’s, under any extreme condition/loading/torque.
Ah, Im sorry.. i was not clear. I drive an ev6 Gt. I joined this forum mainly to research tires, as the Tesla community is largest.

Oops. You are correct, of course. I misspoke in my previous post. In general, more tread should actually equate to less grip on flat/dry roads, since there would be less rubber/tire contact with the road. This is why all tires designed specifically for drag strips/races are completely flat and have no tread.
Yes and No.
Drag strip tires have softer/larger sidewalls so that there is some "give". With low-profile tires, some tread helps, especially in high torque applications, because without give, you either break parts or spin, and these EV's are solid, so you spin.

Reactions: DrChaos
Ah, Im sorry.. i was not clear. I drive an ev6 Gt. I joined this forum mainly to research tires, as the Tesla community is largest.
Perhaps then the traction control on the TM3 is superior, and adapts to the tire better.

Given that Kia and Hankook are both Korean, I'd be surprised if Kia doesn't adapt their cars to the Hankook iON range soon enough.

Reactions: Unobtanium
@Cecasejr you still seeing some good efficiency since this post?

@Prodock same question to you

@Jazak I think I remember you put these on your X. Still seeing some good efficiency?

For all of you, how's wear been. Same as standard tires, better, or TBD?

I'm 32.6K miles into my Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus's and it's time to move on from them. Thanks for answering my questions.
So far, yes. They aren’t crazy more efficient than the Michelins that the car came with, but definitely more efficient…and a quieter ride.

Reactions: RockinWithKids
Perhaps then the traction control on the TM3 is superior, and adapts to the tire better.

Given that Kia and Hankook are both Korean, I'd be surprised if Kia doesn't adapt their cars to the Hankook iON range soon enough.
Its definitely tuned more for performance and fun than saving the tires. On corners you can rotate the car with the skinny pedal even in the tegular driving modes.

Hello,

VEHICLE:
Model S
90D
21” wheels / Staggered tire sizes

OLD TIRES:
Continental Conti Sport Contact 5P / ContiSilent T0
Front: 245/35 R 21 96W Extra Load
Rear: 265/35 ZR 21 101Y Extra Load
Pressure: 45psi

NEW TIRES:
Hankook iON Evo AS
Front: 245/35R21 XL / Material code: 1033205
Rear: 265/35R21 XL / Material code: 1033207
Pressure: 45psi

INITIAL SUBJECTIVE IMPRESSIONS:

GRIP, DRY/WET: TBA

EFFICIENCY / RANGE: Maybe just a smidge fewer Watt-hours per mile, but not enough to justify the purchase, alone, yet. Will report once broken in.

NOISE: Decrease from “a little” noise, with the Continentals, to near-zero with the Hankooks.

RIDE: MUCH smoother ride. When I bought this car ~1 year ago, I was disappointed by the harshness of the ride over rough pavement and small bumps. (My first car with low-profile tires.) The Hankook tires transformed the ride in that regard, and I am much happier with the car as a result.

APPEARANCE: No checkerboard on the sidewall. The rubber is slightly wider than the rim, so maybe a very slight amount of curb rash protection. Photos below.

PRICE: At local tires shop: $334.99 / $351.24. Total, mounted and balanced, including California sales tax: $1646.76 Invoice image below.

Very happy with the smoother ride. Will report on other parameters after break-in.

John Cutter

2023-06-02 14.19.42  Hankook Tires.jpg

2023-06-02 14.20.00  Hankook Tires.jpg

2023-06-02 14.19.50  Hankook Tires.jpg

A very small amount of rubber protrudes beyond the wheel:

2023-06-02 14.20.18  Hankook Tires.jpg

2023-06-02 14.53.31  Hankook Tires.jpg

2023-06-02 14.54.44  Hankook Tires.jpg

Invoice.jpg

Its definitely tuned more for performance and fun than saving the tires. On corners you can rotate the car with the skinny pedal even in the tegular driving modes.
I wonder if there is another factor: the K-EV6 is notably heavier than the TM3. It's more of a SUV, a heavy and very powerful one at that. The PSAS4 are intended as "passenger car" tires, and not even EV specific. Your car could be too heavy to be optimal for those.

If the car is too heavy for the tire design then the tread surface can deform--push harder on the outsides, and come off the ground in the center, lowering the area of the contact patch.

Maybe if you had more light-truck/SUV specific models they might be better for you? Perhaps the Hankook iON SUV line?

So about 500 miles in, I'd say efficiency is slightly better and should get better as the tire's break in more. Road noise /comfort, tbh i think it's better here as well, but could be due to having old Conti's previously as I had the stocks for 32xxx miles and roughly 2 or 3/32 left on those.
I would recommend these tires as they do look nice.

For those who got the rebate, how long did it take for you to receive it?
Yes.. the 235/40-19 ContiPro RX get very noisy at the end of life!

Others have mentioned reduced grip with Ion EVo. Even medium levels of acceleration can get the tires to shimmy out when cornering. This causes the car to feel like it's understeer. It's not confidence inspiring as I'm not expecting the rear end to walk out like that on acceleration. My car is the original 2019 single motor long range, so it's not even the more power dual motor versions.

I'm so used to full acceleration out of corners all the time, but I've been very gentle to break in the tires so I have not done full accels yet.

My driving is also like 20% of normal right now... So not much miles and not too many full pedal acceleration either, which is something I typically do dozens of times each day.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is another factor: the K-EV6 is notably heavier than the TM3. It's more of a SUV, a heavy and very powerful one at that. The PSAS4 are intended as "passenger car" tires, and not even EV specific. Your car could be too heavy to be optimal for those.

If the car is too heavy for the tire design then the tread surface can deform--push harder on the outsides, and come off the ground in the center, lowering the area of the contact patch.

Maybe if you had more light-truck/SUV specific models they might be better for you? Perhaps the Hankook iON SUV line?
The tires are XL rated, 1874#. Shouldn't be an issue, as the Michelin PS4 is the oem for the car in Europe. The OEM here is the Goodyear developed for it, which is bad. Edmunds could barely get 3.6 0-60 and left black stripes, lol!

Just ordered these tires and they're on the way from DTD (price matched to $200.97.ea). I'm hoping the tires do not have the diamond pattern on the side wall. Based on recent photos it looks like the last few posts did not include the pattern. I will report back with ride details once I have them mounted.

Just ordered these tires and they're on the way from DTD (price matched to $200.97.ea). I'm hoping the tires do not have the diamond pattern on the side wall. Based on recent photos it looks like the last few posts did not include the pattern. I will report back with ride details once I have them mounted.
who did you price match with? I can't find any for the 18" that's greatly cheaper?

@DrChaos I price matched with BBWheels at the time, but they've gone up to $217.97 since. Quickly searching and it seems like they're the lowest current price available with free shipping for the 235/45/18.

Just got the delivery and they do have the diamond pattern, not thrilled but I'll live.

I’ve done some apples to apples comparisons and they show a slight advantage for the Hankooks over the OEM rubber.

On May 4th, went to see Guardians of the Galaxy V3 with my son. On the way home (a mix of highway and surface streets), I averaged 50 mph and hit a max of 85 mph over 12.4 miles. This was around 10 o’clock at night with minimal traffic. 221 wh/mile according to Tessie.

The exact same trip, at roughly the same time last night after Across the Spider Verse. Averaged 50 mph, 82 mph max, minimal traffic: 217 wh/mile.

I’ll need to do more testing, but the quietness alone of the tires (even on the highway) is like night and day, and we’ll worth the upgrade.

Also forgot to mention that I applied for the $100 rebate, which will take my total out of pocket cost below $1,000.
I just ordered the Ions and got a price match with Discount Tire. I searched for the $100 rebate and couldn't find anything. Please send any info you may have on where to find the rebate. Thank you for convincing me to order these.

Installed it today on my 2022 Model X and will confirm it is dead quiet. DWS 06 was a lot louder ride. Almost feels like you’re riding on 20’s instead of 22’s. Love it!
Thanks for your post on the X. What sizes did you get? I’m on OEM Conti LX F 265/45/20 and R 275/45/20 at the moment. The 265 Hankook Evos are $261 at Walmart but the 275s are $350, very weird range or the 265s are discounted. I wonder if my Model X can handle 265s in the rear.

New Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (Tesla T0) for $1360 installed with no DT certificate vs Hankook Ion EVO AS for $1010 installed WITH DT certificate for my 22 Model 3 P (235/35R20).

PS4s worth $350 more over the Hankooks or is the Hankook good enough to pocket the extra $350?

Oh, I live in Georgia where it's warm majority of the time with southern 'winter' weather maybe four months. I care about range quite a bit but not at the expense of a crappy handling tire hence why I am not leaning heavily on either camp.

Thoughts?