Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walmart has them on sale 198.10 a piece and hankook has 80$ rebate on set of four

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_145108_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_145108_Samsung Internet.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 85
For my tire size 235/40-R19, they were $207.49 ea from Walmart. Priced matched at Discount Tire and got an $80 rebate.
A little disappointed with the installers at DT, as they make very little effort to remove the old wheel weight tape (one new weight was coming off until I removed the old tape underneath and pressed it back down) and they put one weight on crooked, not bad but I noticed. And some weights were placed near the edge, some an inch further, and some 2 inches further. Not a biggie, but something I noticed. And they do not use the Teflon protectors on their tire machine irons that end up burnishing the rims (mine are aftermarket rims). Price was and A, install was a C-.

Is there anyone who tested the Continental DWS06 plus and these new Hankook ION evo tires for their Tesla? I'm interested in seeing how bad the efficiency hit is with the cheaper (but very highly rated) Continentals vs the IONs. Currently running the OEM MXM4s but there's no way I'm paying $300+ per tire for tires that come with only 8/32" tread depth from the factory...

Is there anyone who tested the Continental DWS06 plus and these new Hankook ION evo tires for their Tesla? I'm interested in seeing how bad the efficiency hit is with the cheaper (but very highly rated) Continentals vs the IONs. Currently running the OEM MXM4s but there's no way I'm paying $300+ per tire for tires that come with only 8/32" tread depth from the factory...
From what I recall reading these threads, DWS06 is 5-10% LESS efficient vs MXM4, and iON Evo AS is around 5% MORE efficient than the MXM4s.

It's really difficult to find official rolling resistance values as it's not published in most North American tire test sites, but those values are available in the EU. However they don't sell the same tires over there so it's not terribly helpful most of the time.

The DWS06 tires are no longer cheaper than the iON EVO AS tires. You can get the Hankook tires for less than $200 per tire now.

IMG_4734.png

I have to change tires on my Mercedes every 14 months. But these? I am stunned.
I got 30K out of the original tires on my 2018 M3 AWD, I never let an ICE car beat me at the traffic lights. I put on BF Goodrich T/A radials with 75K warranty. I have over 103K on the car now and I’m wanting new ones before the first snow. Unfortunately DT says they are no longer made. They were a bit noisier that the factory tires but I love the way those T/A’s handle.

Update: I've put 1100 miles on the new tires. On the OEM tires,

Which car, which tire, which size?

I was averaging 279wh/m over the course of 21k (mixed city/interstate). On the Hankook iON EVO AS SUV tires, I'm now averaging 267wh/m (1,100 miles, mixed city/interstate). So, around a 5% efficiency improvement.
They seem like winners with an efficiency improvement and no loss in any other area, and gain in comfort.

Which car, which tire, which size?

They seem like winners with an efficiency improvement and no loss in any other area, and gain in comfort.
2021 Model Y Long Range, 19" wheels - OEM tires were the continentals.

I'd 100% recommend these to anyone looking for a replacement. There's a definite decrease in cabin noise (not just from old tire vs new tire, this is the quietest my Y has ever been). Performance/handling is excellent.