Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Mini dash display 5.16"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blowout on the last remaining Hansshow Mini displays in stock - get yours now!

• Disagree
Reactions: flai54
I fitted mine yesterday (RHD UK MYLR 2023 delivery) car so I didn't need to take the dash off to run the cables. It was very easy to install and looks great. The only part that was troublesom was clip the new top half to the bottom half of the steering wheel colum however I just took it slow, lined up the clips and seated it and its a perfect fit.

I would say its one of the few extra you can get for the car that is worth every penny. If your thinking about wanting this screen then do it as its worth it.

Mine came from AliExpress this morning, 9 days after ordering. Install was hard - the display wouldn't click into the steering wheel until my wife pushed up with her knees and I pressed down, My car is a 2018 with Intel, so it was tedious to get the connectors into the computer. All in all it took about 2 hours, but if I had to do it again it would be 30 minutes.
This came with new software, dated I think 4/17. There are 3 UIs, but so far I like UI1 with plaid turned off. It solves my pet peeve that some of the key bits of data are shown in small fonts & icons on the big screen making it tough to see the time or the FSD icon. The Mini seems ot be non-glare and the fonts are at least 30% bigger than the big screen, and its easy to pick up without loosing sight of the road. The only downside is that it reduces the "minimalist" feel of the M3. Of course, I think the problem with the M3 is that it's a tad too minimalist!

So I went today to get service on my car for some issues with the seats. I installed the 5.16 mini display myself a week ago, very happy with it.
Before I left the car, in service they handle to me the "Authorization and release for modified service" form to fill out. It says in the summary that they can remove these aftermarket devices at my cost, and they can void the warranty as well. I signed it reluctantly, but basically, if I don't sign it they don't give me service, is this legal? what are my options I feel very upset with the issue, should I uninstall this? Does anyone experience something similar?

Attachments

• Tesla 1.jpg
    Tesla 1.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Tesla 2.jpg
    Tesla 2.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 98
Yes this is legal and is all spelled out in the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act which is a federal law that defines how warranties must work. Basically if the aftermarket part is the cause of the issue it could be removed to repair the issue. But it doesn’t void your warranty in total. For example if you upgrade your suspension with aftermarket parts and your suspension in the future has an issue. If Tesla can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of the issue then you would be responsible for paying for the repair. But your warranty on the rest of the car is not impacted at all.

I feel like these add on screens is one Tesla software update away from being disabled or having incompatibility issues with no firmware update from its manufacturer.
If Tesla made some change that made these displays not work, there is a very high likelyhood of the Chinese manufacturers opting to not update the screen, but instead ask you to buy their newest screen, where this problem has been magically fixed. Chinese manufactures are notorious for not really updating anything in current hardware, and instead just ask you to just buy a new screen which works.

But yeah, it is highly likely that Tesla will change something in the lifetime of the car / screen, and you would not be getting any firmware update for the product, so a bit of a gamble.

I already bought the 5.16" to replace my 4", now I'm probably gonna get that latest screen in the video above
I think you will always be chasing the latest thing which comes out every few months. The new screen looks ok but I think the fact that AA is not yet integrated yet isn't enough of a change. Also I am curious how the camera module will work. That is one thing I would be interested in since HW3 Teslas do not have the front bumper camera.

I think you will always be chasing the latest thing which comes out every few months. The new screen looks ok but I think the fact that AA is not yet integrated yet isn't enough of a change. Also I am curious how the camera module will work. That is one thing I would be interested in since HW3 Teslas do not have the front bumper camera.
What would you use AA for ?

On my previous car i used it a lot, but that was because the infotainment in that car had no streaming radio/music capabilities and no built in satnav.

The Tesla has both, so cant see what i personally would want AA in the car for ?

I like the 5.16" screen layout more than the new 6.xx" screen. Also I think the 5.16" screen is perfect size... the 6" is a bit too big. It's sticking out on the side as the guy in the video mentioned.

With that said, really like the front camera. It'd be nice to have a button that once pushed, it'd quickly flip over/turn on the front camera to see parking curb/how close the front bumper to obstacles...etc.

The blind spot flashing alert is nice too...wish it added an option to make sound (with option to turn on/off) when there is a car in your blind spot (when turn signal is on).

I ordered directly from Handshow in China, as along with the "Door Sill Protector with LED Light" I paid half of the price from Amazon and where received in 6 days. I have the new 5.16 display and came with the last update and 3UI, here are some pictures and video

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 86
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 78
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 87
  • UI2 Bright.jpg
    UI2 Bright.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 86
  • UI1 Dark.jpg
    UI1 Dark.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 89
  • UI1 Bright.jpg
    UI1 Bright.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 90
  • UI2 Dark.jpg
    UI2 Dark.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 90
  • UI3 Bright.jpg
    UI3 Bright.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 88
  • UI3 Dark.jpg
    UI3 Dark.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: S2000
I like the 5.16" screen layout more than the new 6.xx" screen. Also I think the 5.16" screen is perfect size... the 6" is a bit too big. It's sticking out on the side as the guy in the video mentioned.

With that said, really like the front camera. It'd be nice to have a button that once pushed, it'd quickly flip over/turn on the front camera to see parking curb/how close the front bumper to obstacles...etc.

The blind spot flashing alert is nice too...wish it added an option to make sound (with option to turn on/off) when there is a car in your blind spot (when turn signal is on).
I personally think I can deal with up to a 7 inch screen for the steering wheel column since I feel like there is extra real estate that can be used to display items that I normally cannot see on the screen. With the 5.16 screen I wish UI1 can display the car length distances without having to go to UI2 or 3. I don't get why it has to be that way but perhaps it is due to screen real estate which I would argue shouldn't be the case.

I do think the front bumper camera would be nice to have although the crappy part is that it will not be integrated into Tesla's Park Assist. I hope it is integrated where you can flip to on one of the steering wheel buttons.

I can see using it for all the apps that direct you to NON-Superchargers. ChargeWay, PlugShare, AppleMaps, can all be used for navigation to CCS and CHAdeMO chargers along the route that you can't easily add to Tesla navigation. Here in CA I do most of my driving using free CCS Charging
Aah ok, that would be one thing to use it for, here we have no such thing as free charging and most, if not all CCS superchargers found in the Plugshare app is more expensive than Tesla SC.

Even a lot of the 11kw destination chargers charge you more per kilowatt than the Tesla superchargers.

Local petrol station chain currently charges $0.70 for a kilowatt on their 150 Kw super charger

What would be the reason to navigate to a ChaDeMo charger, does a US tesla support these ?

Here in Europe all Tesla's are born with only CCS / Type 2 chargeports, i dont think the ChaDeMo chargers will be compatible, and even if they are, they are on their way out. All new chargers being put up is only CCS, and whenever an existing multicharger (Older style with 3 connectors ...CCS, ChaDeMo, Type 2) they are usually being changed to CCS only chargers.

I see a lot of Nissan's here for sale on various car trader sites, and even if they are competitively priced compared to other cars in the same class and so on, they can just not be sold, because of the (here) outdated ChaDeMo charger.