Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had one of these kits installed in the Seattle area? I’m actually looking for recommendations of an installation shop. I see on their site they have installers in Seattle, but there’s no links or names of these shops. Thanks.

Hi,

I have fitted the trunk kit which was originally V3 but to which I added the V4 upgrade which came out before I had actually fitted the V3.

So, fitting all the hardware was reasonably straightforward, however, on powering up the control box nothing worked. This was partially resolved when Hannshow sent me the required updated firmware in a micro SD card. I say partially resolved, as the trunk currently operates in that it will close and then soft close correctly, but, it does not, and, will not open no matter which button I press on, or in the car, or, via the Tesla app. The only way it opens... is by me climbing in the car trunk through the back seats and pressing the manual open button!

So, does anybody have any ideas how to fix this, or, has anybody experienced something similar?

This whole experience is so frustrating especially as the frunk kit was without issue and is great to use.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Cheers

Hi,

I have fitted the trunk kit which was originally V3 but to which I added the V4 upgrade which came out before I had actually fitted the V3.

So, fitting all the hardware was reasonably straightforward, however, on powering up the control box nothing worked. This was partially resolved when Hannshow sent me the required updated firmware in a micro SD card. I say partially resolved, as the trunk currently operates in that it will close and then soft close correctly, but, it does not, and, will not open no matter which button I press on, or in the car, or, via the Tesla app. The only way it opens... is by me climbing in the car trunk through the back seats and pressing the manual open button!

So, does anybody have any ideas how to fix this, or, has anybody experienced something similar?

This whole experience is so frustrating especially as the frunk kit was without issue and is great to use.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Cheers
Get on a video call with them to troubleshoot
Not sure if the struts are handed

Does anyone know where I can find blue grommets to buy? To replace those that were cut to let struts wires into the trunk if I'd want to restore everything back to original.
I'm looking into Tesla's parts catalog and Trunk Floor (if i've correctly identified that part) has none of them pictured..

Does anyone know where I can find blue grommets to buy? To replace those that were cut to let struts wires into the trunk if I'd want to restore everything back to original.
I'm looking into Tesla's parts catalog and Trunk Floor (if i've correctly identified that part) has none of them pictured..
You get grommets with the trunk kit from Hansshow
You will need to buy a 19/20mm unibit/step drill bit to drill the hole for the strut wire
Refer the YouTube video by Electrified Garage

Just had the Hansshow v4 installed by one of their recommended installers on Thursday and been dealing with issues and their tech support ever since. Kit will not close. Kit opens 1/2 way on first press, then rest of way on second press. Having all sorts of issues right now. Been sending pics, videos, and updates to Hansshow daily to try and diagnose.

You get grommets with the trunk kit from Hansshow
You will need to buy a 19/20mm unibit/step drill bit to drill the hole for the strut wire
Refer the YouTube video by Electrified Garage
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately Hansshow instructions included, as well as posts in this forum and related videos said to drill holes in the blue grommets, which I did. After installation I do have those two black plugs from Hansshow kit unused as I had no idea what are they will be for.. Anyway, I wonder where I can find replacements if I'd want to go back to stock - for some reasons I cannot find them in parts catalog mentioned at all :(

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately Hansshow instructions included, as well as posts in this forum and related videos said to drill holes in the blue grommets, which I did. After installation I do have those two black plugs from Hansshow kit unused as I had no idea what are they will be for.. Anyway, I wonder where I can find replacements if I'd want to go back to stock - for some reasons I cannot find them in parts catalog mentioned at all :(
The two black plugs are to replace the two shocks that come with the trunk lid (see one of my previous post (HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install). As per my post I chose to keep the shocks.

22A757ED-FE59-46EA-B76D-9A83DD169101.jpeg
22A757ED-FE59-46EA-B76D-9A83DD169101.jpeg
Just had the Hansshow v4 installed by one of their recommended installers on Thursday and been dealing with issues and their tech support ever since. Kit will not close. Kit opens 1/2 way on first press, then rest of way on second press. Having all sorts of issues right now. Been sending pics, videos, and updates to Hansshow daily to try and diagnose.

SOLVED! Ok, here’s the deal on the v4. At least for mine. On the signal plug wire, it comes pre-wired with make and female plugs. I took everything apart and noticed the blue wire was in a different pin position on the male plug than the female plug, so there would be no connection when plugged in. I cut the blue wire from both plugs and spliced them directly together, and presto! Kit works fine. I have been talking to Hansshow all week on this and they confirmed this approach when I sent them pics of the wires/plugs.

You can see in the pic how the blue wire is on top on one side and bottom on the other. Came like this from Hansshow direct and is a manufacturing error.

I can’t say for sure this is the error anyone else is having, but it’s worth checking. Hope this helps.

View attachment 610157 View attachment 610157

SOLVED! Ok, here’s the deal on the v4. At least for mine. On the signal plug wire, it comes pre-wired with make and female plugs. I took everything apart and noticed the blue wire was in a different pin position on the male plug than the female plug, so there would be no connection when plugged in. I cut the blue wire from both plugs and spliced them directly together, and presto! Kit works fine. I have been talking to Hansshow all week on this and they confirmed this approach when I sent them pics of the wires/plugs.

You can see in the pic how the blue wire is on top on one side and bottom on the other. Came like this from Hansshow direct and is a manufacturing error.

I can’t say for sure this is the error anyone else is having, but it’s worth checking. Hope this helps.
Congrats on figuring it all out. I'm sure all the diagnostic time scratching your head could have been frustrating. I wonder if your's was a one-off QC issue?

Congrats on figuring it all out. I'm sure all the diagnostic time scratching your head could have been frustrating. I wonder if your's was a one-off QC issue?

Yes, picking my car up from the installers and being told it does not work was very frustrating. Then many days of diagnosing for problems at home. To Hansshow’s credit, they were in continuous contact with me via WhatsApp and FaceTime (Granted, it was middle of the night here given their location) over the past week. They were asking questions, offering suggestions, we exchanged pics/videos trying to diagnose, and we even had a FaceTime diagnostic session. Fortunately, I thought to look through the pinning pattern of the plugs one night, which led to the discovery.

Hopefully I’m a one off case, but wanted to share my solution here in case I’m not. (Since I’ve seen other posts of people having issues with the V4) Hopefully it helps someone.

Reactions: Cultgti
If anyone has been on the fence to (refreshing) upgrading their model 3 trunk to the power lift gate but thought it was too expensive... Hansshow is having a black friday sale for 10 days bringing the price from $553.00 down to $387. I just installed mine and it's awesome. Just trying to help anyone who was wanting to buy this save a good chunk of change. The coupon code is (teslaevan30). Tesla model 3 automatic frunk and trunk

Hope this helps!

(mod note: moved to existing hansshow power trunk thread)