Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone been to a full Supercharging station?

Have you stopped at a full Supercharger

• Yes

Votes: 82 66.1%
  • No and I don't think it will become a problem

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • No, but I think it will become a problem

Votes: 27 21.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
60+ SC visited this year (NY, NJ, PA, OH, VA, MD, WV, TN, KS, CO, UT, NV, AZ, OK, TX, AK, MO, and MI)...never more than 50% full. Most were empty. Didnt see a single Tesla over 3 days in Page AZ. I hope you CA folks figure out how to handle the eventual SC congestion - thank you!

Most of our supercharging (maybe really close to 300 charges) was on a 2012 S85. We sold it in Dec 2017 with 88k miles. It originally had a 265 mile range rating; I think it charged to 254 when we sold it.

We also did a fair bit (maybe really close to 100 charges) on a 2015 S P90DL. It originally had a 266 rating. I just returned it from lease last month with 49k miles and I think 252 miles of range. (The 90's seem to degrade faster than the 85s if I remember the owner data correctly. The owner data also seemed to show that it wasn't correlated to Supercharger use).

We've only done a few Supercharges on my wife's X, and none yet on my 3.

In short, not bad. Supercharging does heat the batteries; but only for a short time and limited amount due to active liquid cooling. And as long as you drive soon after rather than sitting with the battery full, it doesn't appear to have a real-life measurable effect on battery life. And (trying to get back on track) leaving the charger right away also reduces the chance of somebody else having to wait for the charger!

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
I'm trying to decide between taking my MS or taking my ICE car to my hometown (2 super charger stops) for Thanksgiving. My fear is that the charger stalls will be pretty well filled up for that trip. Rather than going up I95, I go through PA, stop at Allentown, then stop in Tarrytown, NY. Far less traffic and tolls.
Be advised that holidays, especially Sunday after Thanksgiving, are especially packed. A few years ago there was a huge PR disaster for Tesla, so they added more SCs.
Long Queues Cause Multi-Hour Wait For Tejon Ranch Tesla Supercharger -- Here's Why It Was The Perfect Storm

Tesla Owners Report Waiting Hours For Open Supercharger - (w/video)

• Informative
Reactions: ckoval7
Be advised that holidays, especially Sunday after Thanksgiving, are especially packed. A few years ago there was a huge PR disaster for Tesla, so they added more SCs.
Long Queues Cause Multi-Hour Wait For Tejon Ranch Tesla Supercharger -- Here's Why It Was The Perfect Storm

Tesla Owners Report Waiting Hours For Open Supercharger - (w/video)
Yeah, but that's California - I don't think we have nearly the same problem on the East coast yet.
For example look at the Newark, DE Supercharger thread from last Thanksgiving - there are no posts of complaints over that period:

Supercharger - Newark, DE

It was down the week after and people were on it right away.

Last edited:
There was a 5 car wait the past two times i went to the San Diego SC... barely made it home one time. The new San Clemente SC has been ok, but the last time I went it was nearly full (20 stalls i think?). Haven't tried the new Carlsbad one, likely full though...

Used to use the San Diego SC once in a while, but no longer bother. Drive by there about once a week and never see fewer than 3-4 waiting, and usually more like 6-7. We've driven to Atlanta twice, Jackson Hole, Santa Fe, Las Vegas, and came back last week from Bremerton, Wa. Only waits have been once at Town Center, Las Vegas and, oddly, Lone Pine, Ca. last week (only 4 stalls) with model 3s in 3 stalls.

I recall hearing (or read?) that there are more Tesla's in California than the whole rest of the world combined. Not sure what year this was when it was said: Anybody have concrete evidence of this?

Probably at one point, but I dont think so now. TeslaFi and some other tools could answer this scientifically, but doesn't have a metric/portlet specifically by location. Based on the portlets that do list location, CA is not >50% of the cars listed. Of the 2,800 cars on TeslaFi, CA is approx 30% (+/-10%). The density of cars on maps would also suggest this:

Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard02.jpg

There is a station in Cupertino, CA that is full just about all day. This is in the Main Street Cupertino shopping-center-like development. The station is in a parking structure. There is an attendant there from 8 AM to 6 PM and he gives numbers to Teslas wanting to charge. It is just like the deli counter at the grocery store. He will say something like, "We are full now and there are two other Tesla cars waiting. Do you want to take a number? If you wait over there, I will come tell you when your number is up."

• Informative
Reactions: MarkKW
Where do you live, Silicon Valley?
In four and a half years, I've only ever been reduced rate sharing once, and still never seen one full.

Yes Silicon Valley.
California is Tesla's #1 market by a huge margin.

In 2015, California accounted for over 45% of all Model S sales in the US. Florida was 2nd at just 7.3%, Texas 3rd at 5.8%
California Leads Nation In Tesla Model S Sales, But Which Other States Are In Top 10?

It would be nice to see what the numbers are today.

When a charger is full, where do you wait? How do you keep your place in line and make sure that some jerk just pulling into the parking lot doesn't dart for the stall that just opened up? Is there some sort of etiquette for this on the west coast?

I'm trying to decide between taking my MS or taking my ICE car to my hometown (2 super charger stops) for Thanksgiving. My fear is that the charger stalls will be pretty well filled up for that trip. Rather than going up I95, I go through PA, stop at Allentown, then stop in Tarrytown, NY. Far less traffic and tolls.

Take the MS. A much more enjoyable trip and you probably won't find a charger where you have to wait. In the 2 years I have been driving (98000 miles through PA, OH, KY, TN, NC, SC, FL, GA, AL, MS, MI, NY) I have yet to wait.

Reactions: dark cloud
Yes Silicon Valley.
California is Tesla's #1 market by a huge margin.

In 2015, California accounted for over 45% of all Model S sales in the US. Florida was 2nd at just 7.3%, Texas 3rd at 5.8%
California Leads Nation In Tesla Model S Sales, But Which Other States Are In Top 10?

It would be nice to see what the numbers are today.
Yeah, I know--I read it from your profile. I just thought it was funny that you thought it was insane that people could find Supercharger stations not full, and that it must mean that they were using them at crazy times like 3AM. And I was pointing out that they are not full pretty much round the clock everywhere else but there where you live.

When do you drive, 3am?
The last time I was at Mt. View was last June at about midnight after a show at the amphitheater and I was the ONLY one at the supercharger. Between my wife and I, since we've bought our Teslas, we've visited the bay area 2-3 times a year and the only time we have ever waited was less than 5 minutes at San Mateo. I've charged at most of the Superchargers west of the Rockies and this is the only time I have ever waited.

Last edited: