Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gone from AWD Subaru -> RWD Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2010 WRX Hatchback and then a 2010 STI Hatchback that I traded in for my first Model S (RWD S85).

The MS low weight and excellent traction control make it so you really cannot lose control in even the deepest snow.

However, it was not even close to as much fun as the STI in snow as getting going quickly could be challenging at times and you can't throw it around on slick pavement with the same confidence.

I've recently upgraded to a CPO 85D and I would say the MS AWD system is as good as the WRX and almost as good as the STI. The STI beats it for performance snow driving with the 9 settings of from/rear drive bias and the 4 settings of traction control.

In an ICE if you wanted awd you would get worst mileage vs the equivalent front or rear wheel drive car. You had to compromise.

In a Tesla, with awd you get actually better gas mileage, performance and safety.

Money aside Tesla should only have awd and should just make the D same price as non D.

If money was a concern, probably not the right car for you.
You still have more complexity: two inverters, two motors, more CV joints. Your front steering assembly is doing two jobs instead of just one. And oversteer can be fun in some circumstances. But otherwise I agree, if there were no cost penalty AWD would be a win for many people. (but then, I think too many people get AWD on ICE cars, where the systems are often terrible and there is almost always a mileage penalty - it's really a success of marketing there)

I will never go back to RWD simply because it not only saves on tires, but handles in snow conditions better. I have now experienced two winter season living on top of a 10 to 14% grade winding road. I fitted DUNLOPS WINTER SPORTS.
Also I notice that AWD is even safer on a dry winding mountain road when I "pushed" a bit harder, as the MS "pulls" into turns, thus has less under-steer.
MS - AWD have no mechanical front to rear connection, so IMO up AND down hill handling is better. BUT for "black Ice" condition, specially going down-hill, recuperation should be made to switch-off completely.

• Helpful
Reactions: geoffreak
A lot of this is where you live and what climate you deal with. I kept my Jeep Grande Cherokee to go skiing in the Sierras and when the weather is really bad. But in NorCal it is not that often. On the other hand the MS P85+ is perfect for Bay Area driving. Dry road excursions up the coast and into wine country are just that much more fun. RWD is a performance balance you don't get with AWD. Why are racing cars RWD? Formula 1, Indy, NASCAR, etc.

• Informative
We had more snow than usual here in the Portland area. I have a 90D, but my SO said it handled better than her 2013 Impreza in the snow, which is a big admission for her.

There was someone here who lives in Toronto and has a very early Model S. He said he's been through a few winters now and the RWD Model S is better in the snow than his Subaru did.

• Informative
I came from a Subaru Liberty wagon (Legacy wagon outside Australia) to a RWD Model S. The only similarity is the equally poor turning circle, in every other respect the Model S dynamics wet or dry were better. The RWD Model S can brake rear traction in extreme situations (wet weather full power) but then it doesn't have the understeer at the limit like the AWD Subaru - pick your poison. I haven't driven either car in snow (despite living in the Victorian Alps) so can't comment on differences there.

• Informative
Given your location I would not hesitate for a second to get a RWD car.
I missed that the OP is in Dallas (I have family there). I wouldn't worry about AWD there; you don't get enough bad weather to need it. For the 2 or 3 ice storms a winter, you're not going anywhere, in any car, regardless of AWD/RWD/FWD. Without salt/sand trucks, you just need to sit and wait it out. Besides, it all melts the next day when it's 50 and sunny.

I missed that the OP is in Dallas (I have family there). I wouldn't worry about AWD there; you don't get enough bad weather to need it. For the 2 or 3 ice storms a winter, you're not going anywhere, in any car, regardless of AWD/RWD/FWD. Without salt/sand trucks, you just need to sit and wait it out. Besides, it all melts the next day when it's 50 and sunny.

I was about to say the same thing. it really comes down to the climate you live in. Here in San Diego, you see a LOT of SUV's that are FWD (Until I moved down here from Seattle, I didn't even know you can buy SUV's that weren't AWD). AWD cost/maintenance just doesn't make sense here in San Diego. Why pay extra for something you rarely will take advantage of.

If I lived somewhere that got snow in winters, I probably would have opted for the 'D'...

• Helpful
Came from 2009 WRX to a 60D. To me the AWD feels the same to me. Obviously the Tesla puts down the power quickly and efficiently on top of it being a heavier car. Test drive the car when it comes out and you'll know if it works for your daily life. I took my Elise out for a spin yesterday and that was a completely different experience.

• Helpful
Have both. Tesla on Hakkas and Baja (even MORE rare!) on all-seasons.

Their dynamics are quite different, but since you're in Dallas the real issue is rain. The Tesla is the better car in rain and the AWD is purely going to be a dynamics choice.

With a D you'll have more cornering traction so you can ham-fist your way around corners. With RWD you'll need to get (mostly) straight before you tromp on the whoosh pedal. If you don't, the stability/traction control will bail you out-- it's very good and not at all subtle if you're being stupid.

I happen to like the tail-waggy vibe of being just within the threshold of the stability/traction systems.... so if snow/ice (AND MY RIDICULOUS DRIVEWAY) weren't an issue, I'd stay RWD.

For others here with different circumstances, I'd say that since Tesla is no longer offering a BIG FRUNK with the RWD only cars (which is production-wise but consumer-foolish), there really is no reason not to get a D if snow/ice are ever a concern.

Our 3 would be my wife's car, primarily... and while she's a talented woman and a Finland native, she's not well-versed in the Scandinavian-flick and the added drama of RWD is not something she considers fun or exciting in inclement weather.... so we'll either wait for the D version or get a CPO D. I'll keep the RWD (snow-tired) S, which is comparable to the Subaru on all-seasons.

upload_2017-3-30_10-15-22.png

• Informative
I really appreciate the insight and advice from everyone. I think I'm really beginning to appreciate the pros and cons of AWD and RWD.

Hugging turns at speed is one of my favorite things to do in my Subaru (whenever my wife isn't in the car) and would love to be able to continue doing that in a Tesla. I have a number of sharp turns that I need to take every day and quickly accelerate or come into at higher speeds.

Thanks to everyone's feedback I'm much more confident I could make do with RWD, so I think my final choice will ultimately come down to timing and cost.

For those suggesting to test drive an S, I just can't do that to myself. I still have a year until I can get a (significantly cheaper) Tesla and the last thing I want to do is ruin the experience in my current car until then. Maybe later this year if Model 3 test drives aren't as available as expected.

I like the "need to take sharp turns and quickly accelerate away" part :)

Don't sell yourself short and limit your options. It's good to know what's out there even if you think it's out of your reach right now. Builds a perspective and might change your focus in a way you didn't expect.

I really appreciate the insight and advice from everyone. I think I'm really beginning to appreciate the pros and cons of AWD and RWD.

Hugging turns at speed is one of my favorite things to do in my Subaru.....

If that's the case, I HIGHLY suggest you try to arrange a test drive of a (cpo only now) P85+. The suspension tweaks on the + make the standard P85 feel like a Lincoln Towncar.

Hugging turns at speed is one of my favorite things to do in my Subaru (whenever my wife isn't in the car) and would love to be able to continue doing that in a Tesla. I have a number of sharp turns that I need to take every day and quickly accelerate or come into at higher speeds.

Thanks to everyone's feedback I'm much more confident I could make do with RWD, so I think my final choice will ultimately come down to timing and cost.

For those suggesting to test drive an S, I just can't do that to myself. I still have a year until I can get a (significantly cheaper) Tesla and the last thing I want to do is ruin the experience in my current car until then. Maybe later this year if Model 3 test drives aren't as available as expected.

Yes a wise decision for Your area. But allow me to mention:
Over here in Europe and in Asia, there are times when You are not allowed to enter cities any more with an ICE-Vehicle.
Paris, Stuttgart and soon, Vienna and Salzburg because of pollution. Every year other Cities will follow (Oslo) Now a lot of people dont even think about this. They would have to leave their ICE-Car out side of the city and commute by Bus to the center.
For some this might not be very convenient and involve extra costs when one has to make deliveries (freight etc).

One point I did not mention in my earlier post: AWD gets You some 15 or 20 Miles further too. Which could just make the difference between arriving at the SC or not
(Really I have not figured that out why. Maybe it has something to do with Torque -Vectoring)

The SC by me actually let me borrow the car over night. So I think I put like 100 miles on it. It was AWD btw. That's the way to try it if you can. Be careful though because I ordered my MS as soon as I returned the loaner. :D

Fwiw, the AWD does handle better. So, it is better. But, I'm glad I saved the money. I just kind of feel it's a risky proposition with it being essentially a start-up. Whatever. I love my MS