Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gotten a CCS adapter in the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen the official Chademo adapter from Tesla, but from what I understand, CCS is becoming more ubiquitous in the US. There are a couple of sites I've seen that sell CCS to Tesla adapters, but havent seen many reviews on them and searching the TMC forums didnt produce much either. (Yes, I heard rumors Tesla may come out with an official one, but I havent seen that come to fruition yet)

Anyone have any experience, advice, or comments on them?

Ones like these:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang it! I swear I searched everywhere... thanks. i'll look there. I just search CSS but somehow didnt see it in the results. Maybe I was too narrow in sub forum.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
The Lectron Tesla CCS adapter is now available for pre-order on Amazon: Amazon.com: Lectron CCS Charger Adapter for Tesla, 200A & 100-800V DC - for Tesla Owners Only, Now Access Fastest CCS Charging Stations Using Our CCS Adapter: Automotive

Supports charging at up to 120kW. (100V to 800V and a maximum of 200A).
With a pack voltage around 350 V and car amperage limits, my understanding is that's actually limited to 50 kW for 3/Y/Plaid and 70-80 kW for older S/X.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Why is there such a difference between CCS and Supercharger charger rates? Is it that CCS based chargers tend to be lower amps but higher volts? (MachE, ID4, etc have higher pack voltage, like 450 V or more?) or is it that these adapters just all seem limited on the max amps right now and maybe there is a chance that Tesla can squeeze 300 or 400 amps out of their first party adapter?

Reactions: cstork
Why is there such a difference between CCS and Supercharger charger rates? Is it that CCS based chargers tend to be lower amps but higher volts? (MachE, ID4, etc have higher pack voltage, like 450 V or more?) or is it that these adapters just all seem limited on the max amps right now and maybe there is a chance that Tesla can squeeze 300 or 400 amps out of their first party adapter?
AIUI, it's just a limit of the adaptor/Tesla interaction that limits to 50 kW, with the 200 amp limit being a limit of the Setec specific design. Teslas with a native CCS adaptor designed to the maximum possible instead of just matching the old Chademo limits could AIUI in theory pull well more than 100 kW rates off at least the 350 kW stations at EA stations (which I think have a 500 amp limit, for ~175-200 kW at Model 3's 350 nominal, 400 V max pack and 225 kW for the Model S's nominal 450 V). The 150 kW stations may have a 200 amp limit, I'm not sure--I'm seeing about checking further--but even that would give 72-82 kW for Model 3 and up to 85 kW for Model S. My Niro pulls 75 kW pretty routinely off the 150 kW nameplate stations with a pack voltage of 356 V nominal, so you'd think the Model 3 should be able to at least match that.

Reactions: cstork
AIUI, it's just a limit of the adaptor/Tesla interaction that limits to 50 kW, with the 200 amp limit being a limit of the Setec specific design. Teslas with a native CCS adaptor designed to the maximum possible instead of just matching the old Chademo limits could AIUI in theory pull well more than 100 kW rates off at least the 350 kW stations at EA stations (which I think have a 500 amp limit, for ~175-200 kW at Model 3's 350 nominal, 400 V max pack and 225 kW for the Model S's nominal 450 V). The 150 kW stations may have a 200 amp limit, I'm not sure--I'm seeing about checking further--but even that would give 72-82 kW for Model 3 and up to 85 kW for Model S. My Niro pulls 75 kW pretty routinely off the 150 kW nameplate stations with a pack voltage of 356 V nominal, so you'd think the Model 3 should be able to at least match that.
Well the official Tesla CCS2 adapter is rated 410V/210A, but Tesla has supposedly pushed it way above that in real world usage according to this reddit thread (for short periods I guess):

Well the official Tesla CCS2 adapter is rated 410V/210A, but Tesla has supposedly pushed it way above that in real world usage according to this reddit thread (for short periods I guess):
That post has nothing to do with the Tesla CCS2 adapter. The Model 3 has a built-in CCS2 port, no adapter necessary. (The adapter is only for use on the S&X.)

That post has nothing to do with the Tesla CCS2 adapter. The Model 3 has a built-in CCS2 port, no adapter necessary. (The adapter is only for use on the S&X.)
I'm talking about the reply nested in that thread, not the embedded content (which was auto-embedded by the forum software).
Let me try another link to see if it works:

It linked this video:

The top shows the CCS2 adapter speed and it goes to 130 kW (358V, 368A), much higher than the 210A rating.

The top shows the CCS2 adapter speed and it goes to 130 kW (358V, 368A), much higher than the 210A rating.
It looks like the rating on EA's 150 kW stations is 200-950V, 350 amps, with the 350 kW stations at 200-950 V and 500 amps. (So I guess the 150 kW nameplate for the lower stations assumes 350 amps to a ~450 V nominal pack, while the 350 kW rating assumes 500 amps to a 700 V pack, or ~440 amps to something like the Taycan or Audi e-Tron?) Anyway, that'd be in line with pulling 130 kW from the "150 kW" EA chargers if the CCS1 adaptor matched the CCS2 adaptor.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Hmm. The Lectra CCS adapter is on backorder on Amazon but is showing as orderable from the link given by the OP. But is that the real and official or a fake copy? Has anybody here ordered one from their recently and received it?

Hmm. The Lectra CCS adapter is on backorder on Amazon but is showing as orderable from the link given by the OP. But is that the real and official or a fake copy? Has anybody here ordered one from their recently and received it?

They're all fake copies of the Tesla Chademo adapter, from what I've seen. If you absolutely need CCS then you can try one out but Tesla may figure out how to disable them with a firmware update at any time...

They're all fake copies of the Tesla Chademo adapter, from what I've seen. If you absolutely need CCS then you can try one out but Tesla may figure out how to disable them with a firmware update at any time...
Yep, the first time something happens because of a faulty adapter, charger, or even car (but while using an adapter) Tesla could slap a handshake protocol on the charging system so only a secure Tesla chip that communicates that it's an authentic adapter could be added. I don't think the risk of that is very large, but it could happen.

Thanks for your input. I think you guys are dead on.

Of course I was a little (or a lot) confusing in my original post ... what I was trying to ask is the Lectron website a highjacked domain name or a fake website and not actually shipping items? It really has all the clues of that sort of thing. But I believe Setec is a real company and a website that appears to be theirs links to Lectron saying they've licensed Lectron to sell their adapters in the US. >>> Setec Power US CCS adapter site

With a pack voltage around 350 V and car amperage limits, my understanding is that's actually limited to 50 kW for 3/Y/Plaid and 70-80 kW for older S/X.
Exactly. The best I have seen charging a Model 3:

20210730_195035-01.jpeg