Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

has anyone had screen flickering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see it on 2017 april 60d.Took into service and they didnt see it. I looked at it for 20 min straight not driving in a dark garage and i see it...i did video it and sent vid to service and it was there for 3-4 days yet they said there was no issue. Now i see it again happening...in video its hard to see because i think when you video a computer screen you will see flickering due to digital videoing of a lcd screen. When i look at my laptop screen there is no flickering at any or all brightness levels...its solid...but in the tesla i see the screen flickering jerkily very faintly. I will keep watching it and may just take it back in again.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Turn off the display auto brightness adjustment and see if it goes away. The new auto brightness setting does not smoothly ramp up and down, but does so in steps that are quite noticeable especially if you are not looking directly at the screen.
This.

I can see it happen out of the corner of my eye when the screen auto-adjusts brightness levels. It's harder to see when looking straight at it.

I have my screen flickering too and I just got the car today. Not happy! And it’s 11 pm when the customer service is closed. Still can drive without issue, but if it happened to my wife. - I would have return the car.

Is this a new car or a used/CPO car?

Tesla finally changed the backlight driver on MCU2 to one that doesn't absolutely suck, so the on-camera flickering/banding issue is mostly gone now. If you disable auto brightness and turn the brightness up to 100% does the "flickering" go away? (it should, even on MCU1 screens, as this is 100% PWM duty cycle / always on). If it still "flickers" even at 100% then you likely have a hardware issue.

Is this a new car or a used/CPO car?

Tesla finally changed the backlight driver on MCU2 to one that doesn't absolutely suck, so the on-camera flickering/banding issue is mostly gone now. If you disable auto brightness and turn the brightness up to 100% does the "flickering" go away? (it should, even on MCU1 screens, as this is 100% PWM duty cycle / always on). If it still "flickers" even at 100% then you likely have a hardware issue.

I rebooted the screen by pressing the wheels on the steering wheel together and it has not happened again. This happened right after I updated the system for the 1st time the day after buying the car. Hope it does not happen again. It’s a giant PC that we are driving