Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone realized how profoundly FSD will disrupt Real Estate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire wear and tear and energy usage would be atrocious but governments would also introduce new taxes and fees if people were actually doing this, not only because road maintenance costs would increase but to replace lost property tax revenues.

Why wouldn’t you just buy an RV and set up shop somewhere stationary lol
That’s what I was thinking! Why the hell would you want it driving around all the time rather than just parking it somewhere and then moving as needed.

Reactions: KJD and APotatoGod
I don't know if I would want this thing driving around a Neighborhood with no one at the wheel.
RVs get into accidents, and that's because of people at the wheel. It's the same deal as with passenger vehicles; if FSD is statistically better than people, then it could be used by everyone. Certainly by those who have demonstrated that they're below average in ability.

1718799993966.png

Lots of fancy words here. The derivative of position is velocity.

I think you need to invert your statement: when velocity is zero you’re stopped and do need to pay rent.

(Side note: people generally take ideas more seriously when you avoid obfuscating the message with unnecessary technical terms like “time derivative of your position”. Just say “speed”)
You beat me to it.

The point is: If you live in your vehicle, you don't need a house.

What the post says: If you're not moving, you don't have to pay for a house.

Also, "time derivative" is a term that refers to the slope of any variable versus time, not necessarily position.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I genuinely wish I had the same experience!
FSD has to be trusted. It takes time to learn to trust it. There are very few things that it won't do if you just trust it.

For example, stopped postal delivery vehicle on two-lane road with oncoming traffic. The car slows, then stops, waits for the opposing traffic to pass and then moves into the center of the road, passes the postal vehicle and moves back into the lane.

Most people would assume that it doesn't work and just disengage.

FSD has to be trusted. It takes time to learn to trust it. There are very few things that it won't do if you just trust it.

For example, stopped postal delivery vehicle on two-lane road with oncoming traffic. The car slows, then stops, waits for the opposing traffic to pass and then moves into the center of the road, passes the postal vehicle and moves back into the lane.

Sure, but it depends on your definition of 'work'.

FSD sat behind a clearly stopped UPS truck for almost a full minute before deciding to move into the other lane and continue. If it takes significantly longer but still makes the correct decision, that does not signify that it works (to me). If it creeps at 10MPH around town but makes all the correct decisions, that isn't what I paid for!

I'll clarify:

When the derivative of your position with respect to time, or ds/dt, is non-zero, then you generally do not need to pay for housing. I.e. when you're driving on the freeway you're not directly paying for housing/shelter at that particular moment in time.

Realtors, watch out!

Consider this:

2026 Tesla Cyber RV: uses FSD to drive 24/7.

Operating principle: When the time derivative of your position is 0, you generally do not need to pay rent or a mortgage.

In other words, when your Tesla Cyber RV is running FSD, it is driving around 24/7 on public roads, which means you:

1) No longer have to pay rent

2) No longer have to pay your house mortgage

3) No longer have to pay your home's property tax

Tesla Cyber RV: saving you $1000s a month.

I predict that a future Tesla Cyber RV will revolutionize home ownership and instead people will opt to live on public roads in their constantly moving Tesla RVs ... see all those cars on the highway? They're not paying rent to be on the highway. The space is "free." When the time derivative of your position is 0, you generally do not need to pay rent or a mortgage.
Tesla isn't going to make am RV any time soon, like ever. Also, FSD still barely manages L2 autonomy, maybe L3 when they add LIDAR. They have been working on this problem for almost a decade and still the system fails far too often.

Reactions: EatsShoots

FSD sat behind a clearly stopped UPS truck for almost a full minute before deciding to move into the other lane and continue. If it takes significantly longer but still makes the correct decision, that does not signify that it works (to me). If it creeps at 10MPH around town but makes all the correct decisions, that isn't what I paid for!

Sitting behind a UPS truck for a minute is FAR from being outside the norm. I'm sure that there are drivers that wouldn't pass it at all.

Driving around town at 10 mph is an exaggeration. But I can guarantee you that FSD was not envisioned, nor expected to drive like you.

At this point, exactly as it should, FSD leans on the safety side. "Taking too long" is quite acceptable. "Crashed into oncoming vehicle" is not acceptable.

It's still learning, things are still being optimized and its goal at this point is to be safer than human drivers.

Contrast FSD to one of my last NYC cab rides, into which his horn was constantly blowing, and he side-swapped another cab.

I'll clarify:

When the derivative of your position with respect to time, or ds/dt, is non-zero, then you generally do not need to pay for housing. I.e. when you're driving on the freeway you're not directly paying for housing/shelter at that particular moment in time.

Uh, no. For 99% of the hard surface of the earth, you are on owned property and responsible for paying as a "tenant"
And I don't sit in the same seat in my house, my position derivative is non-zero.

As has been mentioned, this is a pretty ludicrous concept as being something that catches on widespread.
And if it did, I'm sure that the government would figure out some way to make you pay for additional road use.

And yet, you're exactly the kind of drivers who should use it more.
Slower is safer. Period.
FSD will save lives, because less impatient, under-trained, under-educated, and down right riskier, drivers are doing the driving.
I like to drive fast sometimes too. But when it comes to daily commuting, I wish everyone could use FSD!
It's as simple as leaving earlier to still get to your destination on time.
We've all been running late to get somewhere before. It happens to us all. But, it's been proven, you can't really "make up" significant time once you leave, even if speeding 10-15 mph over posted limits, in typical urban/city-adjacent areas. But the safety risks multiply far more at those speeds.
It's not even about how good a driver YOU think you are. It's everyone around you that you have to make assumptions about their skill as drivers when you take it upon yourself to lessen their reaction time, their spatial awareness, even their physical abilities, by going a speed that is above and beyond everyone else's expectations. It's selfish, and it is dangerous.

I'm not saying the current FSD is perfect. Far from it.
But it's better than many of the people I witness on my daily commutes.

Realtors, watch out!

Consider this:

2026 Tesla Cyber RV: uses FSD to drive 24/7.

Operating principle: When the time derivative of your position is 0, you generally do not need to pay rent or a mortgage.

In other words, when your Tesla Cyber RV is running FSD, it is driving around 24/7 on public roads, which means you:

1) No longer have to pay rent

2) No longer have to pay your house mortgage

3) No longer have to pay your home's property tax

Tesla Cyber RV: saving you $1000s a month.

I predict that a future Tesla Cyber RV will revolutionize home ownership and instead people will opt to live on public roads in their constantly moving Tesla RVs ... see all those cars on the highway? They're not paying rent to be on the highway. The space is "free." When the time derivative of your position is 0, you generally do not need to pay rent or a mortgage.
it will have zero impact. this is not a real thing

Lets dig in deeper for Tesla Ride Hailing owner and consumer experiences change everything and easier to discuss than the Optimus disruption.
Life Scenarios:
-Person lives metro areas and commutes on public transit to work or is a virtual worker. The Owned/FSD/Robo is making them money handling Tesla Ride Hailing requests. Maybe once in a while they see their owned vehicle to check on its condition or a new business is vehicle management, they perform the upkeep of the Owned/FSD/Robo for rotations, wipers, tires, etc. For the owner, its out of sight, out of mind, managed by someone else, they just make money. If the owner needs a vehicle they can use Tesla Ride Hailing.
-Person lives in the suburbs, needs their vehicle once in a while, opts in and out of their Owned/FSD/Robo at adhoc or scheduled days and times. When they app or scheduled opt in, the Owned/FSD/Robo is making them money handling Tesla Ride Hailing requests. They also see their owned vehicle to check on its condition or a new business is vehicle management, they perform the upkeep of the Owned/FSD/Robo. This person likes they have a Tesla that they can use as much as they want to make money Ride Hailing as much as they want.
-Person is a traveler or does not have a vehicle by choice or economic status, they ride hail a Tesla robo and Tesla picks the closest to be either from their fleet or an Owned/FSD/Robo that has opted in for that exact time. This person chooses Tesla vs Uber, Lyft or Waymo for it has the lowest cost and coolest user experience with the roaming/cloud Tesla app user profile that sets temp and music/video content playing.

what people scenarios did I miss?

Btw, I dont see how this changes real estate other than new houses might not need garages or at least it will be an option once the home is planned to have either a garage or another very large room.
The above is a very large threat to Uber and Lyft, but a very big threat to traditional vehicle rental companies.

And yet, you're exactly the kind of drivers who should use it more.
Slower is safer. Period.
FSD will save lives, because less impatient, under-trained, under-educated, and down right riskier, drivers are doing the driving.
I like to drive fast sometimes too. But when it comes to daily commuting, I wish everyone could use FSD!
It's as simple as leaving earlier to still get to your destination on time.
We've all been running late to get somewhere before. It happens to us all. But, it's been proven, you can't really "make up" significant time once you leave, even if speeding 10-15 mph over posted limits, in typical urban/city-adjacent areas. But the safety risks multiply far more at those speeds.
It's not even about how good a driver YOU think you are. It's everyone around you that you have to make assumptions about their skill as drivers when you take it upon yourself to lessen their reaction time, their spatial awareness, even their physical abilities, by going a speed that is above and beyond everyone else's expectations. It's selfish, and it is dangerous.

I'm not saying the current FSD is perfect. Far from it.
I don't know why you mentioned much of what you said as a response to what I posted, why you assume I am leaving late to get to my destination, or why you believe I am the 'exact' kind of driver who should use it more. I am not offended, but I do take pride in being a punctual person!

Driving slower is safer, no doubt, but as I said in my previous post, I did not pay for FSD to drive around at a snail's pace. If Tesla only achieves ACTUAL full-self driving but only at 10MPH, then they owe everyone a refund. Had it been advertised that it would permanently drive like a confused 16-year-old even after 100 updates, no doubt most people would not have spent the extra money and opted for a car with FSD.

Using FSD in Portland traffic is extremely embarrassing (for me at least). However, I am glad you find it useful in its current state.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Sounds like a dystopian hell like the train in snow piercer. How much money are you saving living in an RV that's traveling all the time, consuming vast quantities of energy to do so, burning through a set of tires every month, and other wear and tear?

Anyway, true FSD would nonetheless have a big impact on real estate because it would substantially mitigate issues around commuting. Instead of driving being able to nap or work would be valuable to many. Also, acting as the chauffeur that most suburban parents' hell is these days would be markedly reduced because you can send your kids to events by themselves.

With all that said we're not anywhere close to FSD being rolled out broadly. Many years left before that happens.

With all due respect who are you trying to kid here? Many in the forum have FSD--or at least tried it in the April free 30 days. I had to intervene many times to avoid it getting into accidents. Had nothing to do with trust; the system is simply nowhere close to the competency of even a bad human driver when it comes to navigating surface streets.

If my life depended on me getting across the city and the choice is between a non-intervention FSD, or a guy who just blew .18 BAC I'd absolutely choose the drunk driver.
It absolutely is not. Simply put: there's no chance in hell FSD in its current state could drive 100 miles around the average city without getting in an accident. I don't know anybody who is such a bad driver they get in an accident every 100 miles and, if such a person existed, their insurance would long have since passed the point at which they could pay for it and/or their car would be too wrecked. Think of the crappiest driver you've ever met. How many accidents per week do they get into?

Just because FSD doesn't always make the same mistakes, at the same time, as humans, does not mean it's better.

As I've said before FSD in its current incarnation is thoroughly inferior to a brand new driver who just passed their driving test this morning, if my key metric (which is a very reasonable one) is miles driven without an accident. I would bet my life on the fact that in a single afternoon of training I could take an average 12 year old to a safer point of driving than FSD.

Last edited: