Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thermal fuses self reset once the fault condition is removed. So when it cools down it will reset.

I hope that Tesla has used ones that self reset, but not all do that. It is a reasonable question.

For example, from NTE8181 - Thermal Cut-Off Fuse : Cut-Off Fuses | RadioShack.com:
21 Thermal Cut−offs (also known as Thermal Fuses) are now included in the NTE product line. They are miniature, non-resettable temperature sensitive devices designed to prevent appliances and electronic equipment from overheating. NTE Thermal Cut-offs are UL and CSA listed. The TCO (Thermal Cut−off) responds to temperature by interrupting an electrical circuit when the operating and/or environmental temperature exceeds the thermal rating of the device. This is accomplished when the internal organic pellet experiences a phase change, allowing the spring activated contacts to permanently open the circuit.

I finally got mine today. Interestingly, with my old one I always got 29 miles an hour charge. With the new one, the phone app shows I'm getting 30. Not a huge deal but I thought it was interesting.

Just came home to this!. Also, the letter that came with it clearly asks for the other adapter to be returned to Tesla.

me8ezu6a.jpg

Last edited:
Just got mine in the mail too. After taking it out of the box I noticed a metallic rattling sound like something loose inside. Called Tesla and confirmed it's not normal and they'd ship another out. Glad I noticed it before plugging it in! Does anyone else with the new adapter have this sound? Perhaps it's the fuse?

On a related note, I recently had a service centre refuse to sell me a NEMA 6-50 adapter because "Tesla are doing a product update on them so they're no longer available". This would have been bad news for me since I need it for the first leg of a roadtrip I plan to take. Fortunately, my begging and pleading convinced them to release an outgoing one to me. They're putting it in the car before they ship it out.

Big props to the guys in Vancouver! They saved me about 7 hours at a Nissan dealership.

Wonder when we'll start seeing the updated 6-50's in the wild? Do you think they will have the new grey face?

Anyone in the US who still hasn't received the letter (not the adapter) yet?

Me. I took delivery on the third week in March, so I doubt the car came with the updated version. I don't use the UMC much but I guess I'll have to go have a look now and call the SC if necessary.

Interestingly, when I took delivery I did not receive a NEMA 5-15 adapter with the car as they were on "back order" at the time. It took them over three weeks to finally ship me one, during which time I took a road trip where getting those measly 24 or so miles overnight would've meant not having to search for a trailer park on the way home.

Anyway, this made me wonder if having to manufacture additional style adapters for the new theaters is stressing Tesla's (or their OEM's) ability to produce these in sufficient quantitiy?

After reading the last post (and reviewing the NHTSA document) I went out and took a look at the adapters for my car. It was built in the middle of March and delivered on March 31st. The 14-50 adapter has a green paint dot on it and a P/N of 1014324-00-B. I also purchased a 6-50 adapter from the online store just prior to the vehicle delivery. This adapter has both a yellow and a green dot on it and a P/N of 1016021-00-B. So my car might have been delivered with the "updated" adapter as it has the green dot. However, I haven't heard anything about a upgraded 6-50 being manufactured yet---so the dots might not mean anything on this adapter. BTW the 6-15 adapter also has a green dot on it!