Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be very surprised if anyone reads your note. The returned adapters are likely being recycled for raw materials by a 3rd party.

Return address on the FedEx label is a particular person at TM Fremont, not some random drop box in another city/state. Since your VIN is on a sticker inside the box they need to at least open the box and read the VIN to log the returned adapter. I will give the TM staffer a modicum of credit for the ability to see that there is a note on top of the adapter which might be interesting to read.....

Got mine about 4 days ago. Works great. I will be taking a joy ride from Seattle to So. Cal this coming week, and will personally deliver my old one to the factory during my tour on Wed. :biggrin:

-----------UPDATE----------------

The nice lady at the front desk at the Fremont factory laughed and winked when I handed her my old adaptor prior to my factory tour.

Last edited:
I suggest calling them. My VIN is in the low 8000's and i haven't gotten them (need 2) yet, even though I got the letter 2 months ago. When I called them on Thursday, they indicated it had been shipped (or was being shipped) to my address in CA. Problem is, I don't live in CA and never have. They apparently have a separate database of addresses for shipping the replacement adapters, because another database the woman checked had my correct address. I live on the east coast. They changed the address in their system, and hopefully I will get the adapters soon.

I got mine last week; used it at home and on a road trip this weekend. Had some trouble getting the car to start charging with one of the foreign 14-50's (red ring of death), but reseating everything (adapter, 14-50 plug and charging port) we got it working. I returned my original adapter (well, it wasn't the first adapter I got with the car, since my UMC was replaced once before) but the paperwork insisted I return it as part of the recall).

Mine gave me a flash of orange before it turned green, and after an hour at 40A my dash thermometer read 92F inside my cool garage, where the high temp of the day was 73F. I ran an errand and plugged it back in, and after an hour was reduced to 30A with a "Charging problem, check power source and charge cable" error. Just used my old 14-50 last Sunday at 40A, no such issues. Will do some more tests before deciding to send the old one back.