Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine today also. Mine also came with the same letter to return the old one in the same box. However, it also came with a return Fedex sticker so Tesla is paying for the return shipping cost for mine.

Just came home to this!. Also, the letter that came with it clearly asks for the other adapter to be returned to Tesla.

me8ezu6a.jpg

After reading the last post (and reviewing the NHTSA document) I went out and took a look at the adapters for my car. It was built in the middle of March and delivered on March 31st. The 14-50 adapter has a green paint dot on it and a P/N of 1014324-00-B. I also purchased a 6-50 adapter from the online store just prior to the vehicle delivery. This adapter has both a yellow and a green dot on it and a P/N of 1016021-00-B. So my car might have been delivered with the "updated" adapter as it has the green dot. However, I haven't heard anything about a upgraded 6-50 being manufactured yet---so the dots might not mean anything on this adapter. BTW the 6-15 adapter also has a green dot on it!

The -A and -B versions of the NEMA 14-50 adapter are the old ones, not the new thermally protected one.

I received 2 replacement adapters in the mail yesterday. Yes, 2, because I bought a spare UMC. I am really impressed that they got this right, and shipped them together. I was expecting to receive only 1, then I would have called to remind them about the 2nd. My expectations were too low. Love TM. Great company.

I received 2 replacement adapters in the mail yesterday. Yes, 2, because I bought a spare UMC. I am really impressed that they got this right, and shipped them together. I was expecting to receive only 1, then I would have called to remind them about the 2nd. My expectations were too low. Love TM. Great company.

I experienced the opposite. I got a new adapter about 3 weeks ago. I'm holding on to the old one to save them shipping on one.

I called customer service to remind them of my second one. The rep said that my record indicated that I was scheduled to receive a second one in a few weeks.

I experienced the opposite. I got a new adapter about 3 weeks ago. I'm holding on to the old one to save them shipping on one.

I called customer service to remind them of my second UMC needing a 14-50 adapter. The rep said that my record indicated that I was scheduled to receive it in a few weeks. Haven't received the second one yet.

Sorry if others have noted this upthread... kind of rushed right now and didn't see on latest couple of pages: I got mine via fedex yesterday. Unplugged UMC, replaced adaptor, replugged in.
Next time I turned on car I got bright red banner across top of display: CAR NEEDS SERVICE. OH NO! I figured it might relate to the adapter change so I rebooted. It went away and has not recurred. However, I'm hanging on to old adapter for a few weeks just in case....

I'm eager to see if they manage to send me one.
My car, having a salvage title is considered a "dead car" and is in some ways not supported. The factory warranties are void on salvage cars (in my experience) but other salvage cars I've owned were still eligible and processed for recalls. On the other hand, from what I read this may not be a "recall" in the normal sense.
Additionally I bought the UMC separately from the vehicle directly through the Tesla site.
I've rarely been one to take the more travelled so I'll be very impressed if I do automatically get an upgrade. :smile:

I'm impressed. I'm in the same camp and only received one. The local SC said Tesla was not tracking second units purchased as accessories or at the SC and that they would try to get me one. Which begs the question, where and when did you buy your second UMC?

I'm eager to see if they manage to send me one.
My car, having a salvage title is considered a "dead car" and is in some ways not supported. The factory warranties are void on salvage cars (in my experience) but other salvage cars I've owned were still eligible and processed for recalls. On the other hand, from what I read this may not be a "recall" in the normal sense.
Additionally I bought the UMC separately from the vehicle directly through the Tesla site.
I've rarely been one to take the more travelled so I'll be very impressed if I do automatically get an upgrade. :smile:
I could see them not bothering with the original UMC, but being Tesla, I am willing to bet all it would take is a request from you. However, in your case, the UMC itself is warrantied, since you purchased it separately. Whether or not your car is salvaged is not at issue. In fact, you don't even need to own a Model S.

I'm impressed. I'm in the same camp and only received one. The local SC said Tesla was not tracking second units purchased as accessories or at the SC and that they would try to get me one. Which begs the question, where and when did you buy your second UMC?
I bought mine directly from TM online, and did so way back in August, when I purchased the car.

Another data point...just got my replacement yesterday (...and, BTW, the part number ends with -E). FWIW, I own a 2nd NEMA 14-50 adapter that I bought as a 'cash sale' @ Fremont (so no record of my name/VIN on the invoice). I did this so that I could leave the adapter plugged into my NEMA 14-50R and reduce the insert/removal cycles to hopefully keep the receptacle from failing (not sure if a 'standard' NEMA 14-50R is really rated for multiple insertions/removals?). Anyways, when I packed up my old adapter, I added a note and a copy of my invoice from the one I bought, and assume that whoever opens the box will see it and send me a 2nd one. I wonder how many owners have additional adapters that are not tracked in the TM system?

I got my new 14-50 adapter today. Was hoping it would have an improved/more secure locking connection than my original adapter, but it is, if anything, worse. While my other adapters snap right in and stay snuck, the NEMA 14-50 just pulls out with minimal effort. Wondering now if it's an issue more with my UMC side than the adapter side.