Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no fuse. There are only higher-rated plastics and better welds.

FlasherZ, for what it is worth, this is what my service center responded regarding the rattle, as they were checking my logs for the orange circle I received while testing the new adapter:

"I double checked with parts and they stated that the movement you are hearing within the adapter is normal and comes from a fuse that is within."

This is deeply odd. See my post 51, here, with side by side pics of my two adapters.

Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter? - Page 6

Note that the letter referred to in post #99 (here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM454956/RCDNN-14V006-7510.pdf) states that: "The new adapter will be readily identified by a green dot marking not present on old adapters."

Now check that picture I posted. The adatper on the left, with the part number that ends in B and a green dot, is NOT the one that came in the box. The adapter on the right, with the grey colored plastic insert and the part number that ends in E, is the one that I received in the box. It does not have a green dot.

To add further mystery to this whole thing, I received the "B" green-dot adapter when they replaced my UMC at a service visit in Jan or Feb. The E adapter came in the box later.

This is deeply odd. See my post 51, here, with side by side pics of my two adapters.

Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter? - Page 6

Note that the letter referred to in post #99 (here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM454956/RCDNN-14V006-7510.pdf) states that: "The new adapter will be readily identified by a green dot marking not present on old adapters."

Now check that picture I posted. The adatper on the left, with the part number that ends in B and a green dot, is NOT the one that came in the box. The adapter on the right, with the grey colored plastic insert and the part number that ends in E, is the one that I received in the box. It does not have a green dot.

To add further mystery to this whole thing, I received the "B" green-dot adapter when they replaced my UMC at a service visit in Jan or Feb. The E adapter came in the box later.

I have been told by our service center, that the green dot does not signify the new adapters.
The new adapters are identified by the grey faceplate.

The service centers are not yet getting the new adapters. First priority goes to existing owners. They will eventually get them, after all adapters attached to a VIN get theirs.

Just received mine today, and it is a -E revision and does have a green dot.

Mine (received today) has part number 1014324-00-E, and it has a green dot next to the neutral pin (the middle flat one). The manufacturing date stamp on it is May 2014. The two in JST's post are stamped Jan 2014 (-B, green dot next to ground pin) and Mar 2014 (-E, no visible green dot).

Anyway, the letter from Tesla says what matters is the grey face - I'm assuming these other variations don't matter.

Totally understand, just passing along what the Service Center told me. On the one hand, what does a guy in the parts department necessarily know. On the other hand, what could possibly be rattling inside the adapter besides a fuse? Perhaps they changed their minds again...it has been three months since that letter in February.
Yep, Tesla employees aren't that reliable when it comes to accurate information, but the rattle indicates something significantly different, because the old adapters don't rattle.

Mine (received today) has part number 1014324-00-E, and it has a green dot next to the neutral pin (the middle flat one). The manufacturing date stamp on it is May 2014. The two in JST's post are stamped Jan 2014 (-B, green dot next to ground pin) and Mar 2014 (-E, no visible green dot).

Anyway, the letter from Tesla says what matters is the grey face - I'm assuming these other variations don't matter.

Actually, on further inspection, my adapter with the grey face also has a green dot. It's just in a different location. It does not make any kind of rattling, though.
aqu7enan.jpg

Actually, on further inspection, my adapter with the grey face also has a green dot. It's just in a different location. It does not make any kind of rattling, though.
aqu7enan.jpg

Mine has the same green dot on the face, the grey connector face, and is the E revision part number like yours. But mine makes a very distinct clicking/rattling noise when you shake it along the horizontal axis of the prongs, and a very slight rattling noise when you shake it along the vertical axis perpendicular to the prongs. Interesting that Columbus SC said the clicking was normal and due to an internal fuse, but that yours doesn't click, and the letter from February that FlasherZ linked to indicates the new adapter would not contain an internal thermal fuse.

Last edited:
Curiouser and curiouser. Your green dot is in the same place as the dot on my B adapter?

I will have to see if I can dig up the letter I received and see what it says.

My green dot is next to the manufacture month indicator (between it and the neutral prong). And for what it's worth, mine doesn't rattle.

I have a failed NEMA 14-50 Tesla plug for the UMC, and even though I have bought 100 of the UMC's, I have not received any replacement plugs.

I went to the San Diego Service Center, and they don't have any, nor do they have a UMC. They said they would automatically ship them, however, since I don't own a Tesla car, I tend to think that they won't.

I just called the Costa Mesa Sevice Center and they don't have them.

Just called LA / Santa Monica Service Center, and they will call me back.

So, I have a physically failed part (an open on one of the power pins) and currently no replacement on the horizon.

Last edited: