Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone refreshed their Smart Air Suspension (SAS)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2013 S85 is in the Service Center for a number of issues:

rear seat belt tensioners locking and not releasing
two tires mounted on backwards
intermittent TPMS readings
"Car needs service: Car may not restart"
"Acceleration and top speed reduced"
"Regenerative braking system disabled"

I picked up a 2019 S75D loaner with just 17K miles on it and I'm afraid I'm in love. Next-gen textile seats, sub-zero package, UHFS, unrestricted SuC speeds, ambient lighting, hi-res display/MCU2/LTE, Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/Twitch streaming, and a young SAS air suspension system. The car feels much more solid, cushioned, with much reduced body roll. I'm not sure if the SAS has been greatly revised and improved between 2013 and 2019 or if mine is just worn out. Our suspension feels less dampened and much more float sensation with body roll. I started looking into replacement components and stumbled on what appears to be a bargain-basement option from Suncore:

Suncore Industries - Front & Rear Suspension OEM Remanufactured Air Struts - 2012-2015 Tesla Model S

Has anyone given these a shot? These reman are much less than the parts counter at Tesla and $862.50 is a bargain for any car. I'd bite if these would give me the same tight and dampened ride that this loaner is offering.

Reactions: ChiP90D and 365gtb4
Our 2013 S85 is in the Service Center for a number of issues:

rear seat belt tensioners locking and not releasing
two tires mounted on backwards
intermittent TPMS readings
"Car needs service: Car may not restart"
"Acceleration and top speed reduced"
"Regenerative braking system disabled"

I picked up a 2019 S75D loaner with just 17K miles on it and I'm afraid I'm in love. Next-gen textile seats, sub-zero package, UHFS, unrestricted SuC speeds, ambient lighting, hi-res display/MCU2/LTE, Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/Twitch streaming, and a young SAS air suspension system. The car feels much more solid, cushioned, with much reduced body roll. I'm not sure if the SAS has been greatly revised and improved between 2013 and 2019 or if mine is just worn out. Our suspension feels less dampened and much more float sensation with body roll. I started looking into replacement components and stumbled on what appears to be a bargain-basement option from Suncore:

Suncore Industries - Front & Rear Suspension OEM Remanufactured Air Struts - 2012-2015 Tesla Model S

Has anyone given these a shot? These reman are much less than the parts counter at Tesla and $862.50 is a bargain for any car. I'd bite if these would give me the same tight and dampened ride that this loaner is offering.
I agree completely with everything you said about the 2019 75D. We had a loaner for a month and absolutely loved it.

Good point to check the manufacture date. It's a 12/19 build and does not have adjustable dampening...but it rides so well. Much better than my 2013 S85. I guess I'll ask the service tech if my suspension is worn after 90K miles. It doesn't pitch and dive, but it does roll (yaw) significantly more than the S75D. Since the Suncore reman states "2012-2015" TMS, I wonder if Tesla made a some revisions and improvements to the suspension over the years and if they are interchangeable (at least with pre-Raven models).

Good point to check the manufacture date. It's a 12/19 build and does not have adjustable dampening...but it rides so well. Much better than my 2013 S85. I guess I'll ask the service tech if my suspension is worn after 90K miles. It doesn't pitch and dive, but it does roll (yaw) significantly more than the S75D. Since the Suncore reman states "2012-2015" TMS, I wonder if Tesla made a some revisions and improvements to the suspension over the years and if they are interchangeable (at least with pre-Raven models).

12/19 build is 120% a raven suspension. It would feel more solid even against my 2018 100D in terms of cushion, body roll, handling.

if your trying to get your model to duplicate what you just felt, it may be impossible. I’d drive a non raven suspension first to judge if your suspension is worn. :)

12/19 build is 120% a raven suspension. It would feel more solid even against my 2018 100D in terms of cushion, body roll, handling.

if your trying to get your model to duplicate what you just felt, it may be impossible. I’d drive a non raven suspension first to judge if your suspension is worn. :)

I'm sorry. Major typo. It's a 12/18 build. That makes a big difference in the Raven/not-Raven suspension, but it's still so much better than our 2013 SAS. I'll have to have a Tesla Tech give me their feedback on the condition of our car.

I'm sorry. Major typo. It's a 12/18 build. That makes a big difference in the Raven/not-Raven suspension, but it's still so much better than our 2013 SAS. I'll have to have a Tesla Tech give me their feedback on the condition of our car.

Ah ok. Then it’s a pre-Raven 120%. Lol.
Could be some shocks you need to replace after 7 yrs. The car is 4750lbs after all. Quite a load on the suspension long term.

I picked up a 2019 S75D loaner with just 17K miles on it and I'm afraid I'm in love. Next-gen textile seats, sub-zero package, UHFS, unrestricted SuC speeds, ambient lighting, hi-res display/MCU2/LTE, Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/Twitch streaming, and a young SAS air suspension system.

What is unrestricted SuC speeds? What year MS have streaming and games?

Has anyone actually bought these and had them replaced. I recently ordered them thinking I could do it myself, but apparently I need to take it somewhere. Im pretty sure Tesla wont do it for me, and I called a couple local shops, and they don't do any work on air suspension. Not sure what to do?

Has anyone actually bought these and had them replaced. I recently ordered them thinking I could do it myself, but apparently I need to take it somewhere. Im pretty sure Tesla wont do it for me, and I called a couple local shops, and they don't do any work on air suspension. Not sure what to do?
Not sure where in IL you’re located but if you haven’t called Blood Type Racing in Glenview, they may be willing to help. They very ably installed my MPP sport coilovers on the 3. Small shop but very capable. Try ‘em. Good luck.

Thinking out of the box, there have been tremendous improvements in Model S since yours was produced, let alone the +90,000 miles.

The prices on Model S have come down a lot from when you bought yours, and tons of enhancements as well.

If you liked the new suspension, you will go bonkers over the new Raven package. You will get much more range and faster Supercharging from the new Long Range, 100X faster computer, better aerodynamics, improved seating etc..

Worth a look. Maybe better than putting a lot of $ into bringing your older S up to date.