TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone refreshed their Smart Air Suspension (SAS)?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by maximizese, Dec 31, 2019.

1. maximizese

maximizese Member

Our 2013 S85 is in the Service Center for a number of issues:

rear seat belt tensioners locking and not releasing
    two tires mounted on backwards
    intermittent TPMS readings
    "Car needs service: Car may not restart"
    "Acceleration and top speed reduced"
    "Regenerative braking system disabled"

I picked up a 2019 S75D loaner with just 17K miles on it and I'm afraid I'm in love. Next-gen textile seats, sub-zero package, UHFS, unrestricted SuC speeds, ambient lighting, hi-res display/MCU2/LTE, Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/Twitch streaming, and a young SAS air suspension system. The car feels much more solid, cushioned, with much reduced body roll. I'm not sure if the SAS has been greatly revised and improved between 2013 and 2019 or if mine is just worn out. Our suspension feels less dampened and much more float sensation with body roll. I started looking into replacement components and stumbled on what appears to be a bargain-basement option from Suncore:

Suncore Industries - Front & Rear Suspension OEM Remanufactured Air Struts - 2012-2015 Tesla Model S

Has anyone given these a shot? These reman are much less than the parts counter at Tesla and $862.50 is a bargain for any car. I'd bite if these would give me the same tight and dampened ride that this loaner is offering.

• Like x 2
  2. voltage

voltage Member

I wonder if your loaner has the new Raven active suspension.

• Informative x 1
  3. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

I agree completely with everything you said about the 2019 75D. We had a loaner for a month and absolutely loved it.

4. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

I bet your loaner has Raven suspension. I’d verify that before investing in new parts.

5. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

Check the month of build to see if if has raven suspension also you can adjust the suspension from the menu if it's a raven build.

6. maximizese

maximizese Member

Good point to check the manufacture date. It's a 12/19 build and does not have adjustable dampening...but it rides so well. Much better than my 2013 S85. I guess I'll ask the service tech if my suspension is worn after 90K miles. It doesn't pitch and dive, but it does roll (yaw) significantly more than the S75D. Since the Suncore reman states "2012-2015" TMS, I wonder if Tesla made a some revisions and improvements to the suspension over the years and if they are interchangeable (at least with pre-Raven models).

7. rooter

rooter Member

Some MS' have thick anti-roll bars. This would make a big difference if you could find them salvaged.

8. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

12/19 build is 120% a raven suspension. It would feel more solid even against my 2018 100D in terms of cushion, body roll, handling.

if your trying to get your model to duplicate what you just felt, it may be impossible. I’d drive a non raven suspension first to judge if your suspension is worn. :)

9. beatle

beatle Member

What is the diameter of the sway bars on a raven car? I checked the front on my car and it's 27mm. I have not been able to find measurements on the various cars (standard, plus, raven) if they are different.

10. rooter

rooter Member

The 2015 P85D would be best to get it from. They've heavy. May be others I'm not aware of.

11. maximizese

maximizese Member

I'm sorry. Major typo. It's a 12/18 build. That makes a big difference in the Raven/not-Raven suspension, but it's still so much better than our 2013 SAS. I'll have to have a Tesla Tech give me their feedback on the condition of our car.

12. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

Ah ok. Then it’s a pre-Raven 120%. Lol.
    Could be some shocks you need to replace after 7 yrs. The car is 4750lbs after all. Quite a load on the suspension long term.

13. Raechris

Raechris Member

All Ravens are long range

• Disagree x 2
  14. Jomak

Jomak Member

What is unrestricted SuC speeds? What year MS have streaming and games?

15. SoCal Buzz

SoCal Buzz Supporting Member

I believe the "games" require MCU2, which is March 2018 and later.

16. Yeti370

Yeti370 Member

Has anyone actually bought these and had them replaced. I recently ordered them thinking I could do it myself, but apparently I need to take it somewhere. Im pretty sure Tesla wont do it for me, and I called a couple local shops, and they don't do any work on air suspension. Not sure what to do?

17. MJP.P3D-

MJP.P3D- Supporting Member

Not sure where in IL you’re located but if you haven’t called Blood Type Racing in Glenview, they may be willing to help. They very ably installed my MPP sport coilovers on the 3. Small shop but very capable. Try ‘em. Good luck.

18. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Thinking out of the box, there have been tremendous improvements in Model S since yours was produced, let alone the +90,000 miles.

The prices on Model S have come down a lot from when you bought yours, and tons of enhancements as well.

If you liked the new suspension, you will go bonkers over the new Raven package. You will get much more range and faster Supercharging from the new Long Range, 100X faster computer, better aerodynamics, improved seating etc..

Worth a look. Maybe better than putting a lot of $ into bringing your older S up to date.

19. nimrooz

nimrooz Member

Just pull the plug, drain all of the old air, find a tube and just blow as hard as you can with some new air, this will get you sorted:p

But if you're feeling frisky and want to go with the crazy adaptive suspension, you pay a guy with Corona to blow the tube for you:)