Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone taken delivery of a new Model S and opted for the steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(dangerously couldn't honk in time 3x and barely avoided accidents each time).

I don't get this. In 30+ years of driving light, heavy and emergency vehicles, I only recall using the horn once, to get an artic driver's attention as one of his rims was on fire.

In a dangerous situation, the brake pedal is what you'd usually want to use. The horn gives you exactly zero control over the situation.

Most French cars have the horn button in the turn signal stalk. I guess there's some logic here, you use the same stalk for audible and visual signaling. :)

I'm from Finland myself. We don't use horns here, so the location is pretty irrelevant. Having it in steering wheel is actually quite awkward because you can hit it by accident and then everyone looks at you angrily. :)

Having never used horn in traffic, I really don't understand the purpose. Human reaction time is around 0.15-0.30sec. Your initial reflex should be to steer away from the situation, not look for the horn. Even if you find the horn, you have already wasted 0.3s and now start waiting for another 0.3s waiting for the other driver's reaction..

Most French cars have the horn button in the turn signal stalk. I guess there's some logic here, you use the same stalk for audible and visual signaling. :)

I'm from Finland myself. We don't use horns here, so the location is pretty irrelevant. Having it in steering wheel is actually quite awkward because you can hit it by accident and then everyone looks at you angrily. :)

Having never used horn in traffic, I really don't understand the purpose. Human reaction time is around 0.15-0.30sec. Your initial reflex should be to steer away from the situation, not look for the horn. Even if you find the horn, you have already wasted 0.3s and now start waiting for another 0.3s waiting for the other driver's reaction..
I had to find a New York City YouTube video. Nothing but honking. According to some here, none of these could be Teslas seeing as how its too difficult to operate a Tesla horn. 🤪

Last edited:
I don't get this. In 30+ years of driving light, heavy and emergency vehicles, I only recall using the horn once, to get an artic driver's attention as one of his rims was on fire.

In a dangerous situation, the brake pedal is what you'd usually want to use. The horn gives you exactly zero control over the situation.
Let me tell you the number of times I’m in a situation where braking is not a solution…

1.) Person rolling back into me without noticing.
2.) Person actively reversing into me without noticing.
3.) Person drifting into my lane without noticing.

In two of those three I can be stationary. In the third, I often can’t brake or move lane because of others around me.

Oh, and I’ve honked my horn in all these situations to avoid accidents.

Let me tell you the number of times I’m in a situation where braking is not a solution…

In two of those three I can be stationary. In the third, I often can’t brake or move lane because of others around me.

Same here. Have used my horn countless times in all 3 scenarios

May I suggest investing in some defensive driving training? You should always leave yourself an out.

You missed

4.) When the light turns green. In NYC the honking starts definitely faster than 0.3s :)

I had to use my horn in three scenarios as well...
1.) I was rolling back and a person was just sitting there without noticing.
2.) I was actively reversing and a person was there without noticing.
3.) I was switching lanes and a person was there without noticing.
Two of those times, the driver was just sitting stationary.

I do not think they heard my horn because they were too busy playing with their steering wheel buttons. It was a Tesla each time and I know the driver could have put his beer down in the cup holder if he really wanted.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Some of you guys go to NO END to defend Elon's bad decisions. 🤣 🤣

That's not the reason for me. I have owned a MX 2016 with regular steering wheel for a year, and I have never used the horn. My previous car was a 2013 MS and I never the horn there either.

I'm hoping my next car will be refresh MS LR. But I haven't yet tried yoke so I have no idea whether I like it or not. But I'm sure horn button isn't the issue.

Reactions: zoomer0056