Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has everyone ordered their free Octopus stuffy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
64b55fc7809ac598ea71f4181b60312c.jpg

I have a nice table that came out of a tree

I have a nice house almost entirely made from trees, even down to the insulation . . .

Must work out how many trees it took to build it, one day. I know it took 9 larch trees to clad it, as I went to see the trees before they were felled.

Edited to add:

Just been doing some rough sums, and it looks as if about 70 trees (most probably European Redwood/Whitewood) were used to build the house frame, and provide the cellulose for the insulation (although that was recycled from old newspapers). Although we felled 9 European Larch trees for the cladding, I still have about half a tree's worth left as boards. So it looks as if we used about 79 trees in total to build the house. The impact of that on the environment was offset by new planting, and by the fact that the house is a "negative carbon" house, that reduces CO2 emissions by about 0.9 tonnes per year, roughly equivalent to having around 40 mature trees on the site. We've more than offset the carbon sequestration of the trees we felled, as the house has been up for a few years now, plus the carbon from those trees is still sequestered in the house structure, and probably will be for a lot longer than it would in a tree.

Last edited: