Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Model S quality improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having driven my friend's Model 3, I am complete enamored by the Tesla and seriously considering purchasing an new Model S.

While I think the technology and ideology of Tesla is amazing, but I am really weary of making the purchase due to all the information I read about quality issues and after purchase care.

It seems like a lot of the issues are consistent year over year for any particular Model.

So my question is, are purchasers with newer models experiencing the same issues or frequency of issues as the older models? Has Tesla improved their quality? It seems odd that a company focused on constant improvement of a vehicle would continue to have issues with say door handles year after year.

I guess what I looking for is a little comfort from actual owners that I can expect some improvement in quality and not have as many headaches as early adopters.

Reactions: Hugh-SG
They have improved a lot! I have a Model S from 2013 and 2018.

The one from 2013 has 250.000km on the ODO and works just fine. The 2018 is a lot better then the one from 2013.

I had no major issues with mine from 2018.

I have an early 2013 with 126K miles on it. Quality is as good as any car I've had, so my opinion is that features have improved but quality is just fine. I still have people who see the car and are surprised it's not a just purchased car--and my car lives outside. If you take a hard look at the complaints, it's usually the same people complaining over and over again.

I've owned my 2018 MS 100D for 9 months and have put 22,000 miles on it. Only issues thus far: replacing yellowed running lights/headlights and yellow main screen. Tesla replaced the headlights at my home. Still waiting on resolution of yellow screen. I love my Tesla and have no regrets!!!

Reactions: PrGrPa
Thank you both for your feedback. I do want to get actual owners feedback both positive and negative, but I am very put off by the numerous posts about quality issues, flatbedding cars, lack of service etc.

I am coming from the world of German ICE vehicles and the quality and after purchase care is spectacular. Just getting cold feet form all the posts from other owners.

Your comments are reassuring though,

Thank you both for your feedback. I do want to get actual owners feedback both positive and negative, but I am very put off by the numerous posts about quality issues, flatbedding cars, lack of service etc.

I am coming from the world of German ICE vehicles and the quality and after purchase care is spectacular. Just getting cold feet form all the posts from other owners.

Your comments are reassuring though,
Service just hasn't been a problem, better than any car dealer I've been to. There are some differences because Tesla is a manufacturer so they can't do anything that isn't factory approved (the usual is aftermarket wheels that they can't work on). The other difference is that they replace and rebuild rather than repair. This saves on training and gives a more consistent quality. As an example the reduction gear in the drive train will eventually develop play. Rather than trying to have a trained service person at every service centre and hope he's having a good day, the whole drive train is swapped out (takes about two hours) and the replaced drive train is sent back to the factory for remanufacturing (basically all the gears and such are replaced).

On the other hand you never get pushed into service you don't need.

As for the complaints, I suggest looking at other car forums, you'll find the same number of complaints or even more. Forums always have a big complaint ratio because many join them to find out how to solve an issue. There have been some people in this forum who complain as if they had a Tesla but don't actually own one.

* so many.

Again, I appreciate the comments about the quality. Just trying to get a sense of where the quality really is, as I do agree that most people only post negative comments, but there do seem to be a lot of them and I am not going to lie I have been spoiled by the Germans.

Having driven my friend's Model 3, I am complete enamored by the Tesla and seriously considering purchasing an new Model S.

While I think the technology and ideology of Tesla is amazing, but I am really weary of making the purchase due to all the information I read about quality issues and after purchase care.

It seems like a lot of the issues are consistent year over year for any particular Model.

So my question is, are purchasers with newer models experiencing the same issues or frequency of issues as the older models? Has Tesla improved their quality? It seems odd that a company focused on constant improvement of a vehicle would continue to have issues with say door handles year after year.

I guess what I looking for is a little comfort from actual owners that I can expect some improvement in quality and not have as many headaches as early adopters.

I have a 2019 Model S...it's a fabulous car! 4500 miles on it so far and no problems whatsoever.

I’ve had a 2016 90D and a 2018 100D now.
Both has initial issues after delivery which were mitigated within the first 30 days.

After which, typical issues of screen yellowing, door seals, front headlight yellow etc occurred and were fixed over the next year.

I’ve had a few issues with the driveshaft/half shaft and some trembling at hard acceleration...they were also repaired.

All in all the service and repairs on the Tesla’s were far better than a typical German car but not quite the dependability of say a Toyota/Lexus Lol.

Overall extremely happy :) pls ensure you have a warranty with your purchase.

Not arguing with you, but then why do I read some many posts about people replacing door handles , yellow borders on screens ...
You are observing selection bias - those with the issues post about them, those that do not generally don't post about their cars being without issue (though I'd encourage it). There are a lot of Teslas on the road now. It will be expected that a certain portion of them will have issues. Bottom line is that people love their Teslas and are generally getting their problems fix when they arise.

I think you've been lucky with your German cars, or perhaps you're replacing them after only a few years driving?

Plenty of German cars in our household and with friends, and there have certainly been more than enough issues. Having said that, I wouldn't suggest that there were significantly more or less than any of the other car marques that we've been through.

Thinking on it, so far Subaru is winning the 'least I've had to do to it' award.

I bought a 2015 85D earlier this year and then a few months later a 2019 100D. I found the quality of both to be very good. The 85D had minor issues (play/looseness in driver's seat) but I think it held up surprisingly well to the 2019.

I also had the chance to drive a 2014 P85 while my 2019 was in service. Now that one was a big difference. The older-style charger, seats, etc... were not as nice (no offense to any owners of these older cars - just my subjective opinion). The drive motor was also starting to fail so it let out a screaming whine you could hear a block away when driving.

Known issues like the drive motors, door handles, leaking MCU, etc... were fixed prior to 2015/2016 so newer cars should not have those problems.

I went through the exact same back and forth as you between Tesla and a German car.

I loved driving the Tesla, and I was looking at the Model 3. It seems to me that Tesla is building too many of them too quickly. This is causing some quality control problems. However, I don't think the Model S is presently as problematic, but I have not followed problems with that car closely, because it is out of my price range.

Here in Los Angeles, the number of Model 3s has increased dramatically, and that has put a burden on the service centers here. According to posts on this board, some service centers have just stopped answering their phones. That was an issue for me. I am used to Mercedes service, where you can get a next day appointment, and a car wash, every time you call. So I decided to wait for three years, and let the EV market shake out a bit.

So my advice is this: figure out what your nearest service center. Then figure out if they are swamped by Model 3s or not.

As for the complaints, I suggest looking at other car forums, you'll find the same number of complaints or even more.

I disagree with this statement. I am on a Mercedes forum. There are very, very few complaints about new cars there. The number and variety of complaints on this forum about the Model 3 should concern a prospective buyer.