Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the quality of Tesla service gone into the toilet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're still doing a truly admirable job of this as far as I can tell. I've had a bunch of oddball problems lately and they have totally come through -- most recently, getting me in on a Friday evening on almost no notice to replace my 12V and fix a dodgy door handle.

Same here. I had an appointment about 2 weeks out when I got a "Replace 12v Battery Soon" error on the dash. I stopped by on a Friday afternoon just to ask "how soon is soon" to see if it could wait for my appointment, and they fixed it on the spot for me.

There is no doubt that Tesla Service is slammed with work, but as I've said before, the guys and gals in the shops are first rate.

As a followup to my "Driver assistance features unavailable", got hit with another one today after leaving a parking lot. I was only 5 miles away from home. If there's a sure way to reset it without having to wait 5-10 minutes after leaving your car, I'm open to it rather than having to bring it up with Tesla again.

I'll share my recent experience, which I think demonstrates both the bad and the good, though more of the good, and I'm willing to chalk up the bad to the service center having more work than it can handle.

The Friday before Thanksgiving--November 18--something went horribly wrong with my lift gate, and it simply would not open. I'll skip all the details, as many of them are included in my post in the lift gate thread, but the bottom line is that the actuator had gone bad, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to open the lift gate. In this situation, even the emergency release does not work. The car thought the lift gate was open, which meant that the doors could not be locked, rendering the car essentially undriveable except for trips where we would not be leaving the car unattended.

I had started by calling the roadside assistance line, as I thought there may be a way to get the lift gate open. There wasn't, and the result of that call was that someone from my service center--Mt Kisco--would call me the following day--Saturday. When no one had called by late Saturday afternoon, I called them. They were apologetic, knew of the issue, and said someone would call me on Monday. I did receive that call, and then several others that week. The result--and this is the bad part--was that it took until Wednesday of the following week--November 30--twelve days--before they were able to come pick up my car and bring me a loaner.

I chalk this up to the service center being overworked. Initially they had been talking about sending a ranger to fix the liftgate, as I am over 200 miles from the service center. They then realized that my car was within about 1000 miles of being due for its 3-year, 37,500 mile service, and asked if I'd like to have them bring the car in for that instead of sending a ranger out. That was fine with me. So the Wednesday after Thanksgiving--November 30--they brought me a loaner, and I had my repaired and serviced car back that Friday, December 2. So that is part of the good--the service center worked very expeditiously once they had my car.

Here's some more good, at least as far as the service center is concerned: they replaced my 12V battery even though it had not caused me any noticeable problems. (From a manufacturing standpoint this is not great, as I am now on my third 12V battery in less than two years.) On the upside again, both replacements were made without me knowing there was an issue, so Tesla definitely deserves kudos for that.

The service center also discovered an issue I was unaware of concerning a control arm, and replaced it.

They also mounted my snow tires (which were on wheels). (The service agreement I purchased includes tire rotation.)

And going a bit above and beyond, I had asked if they could possibly get the car its state inspection, which was due in December. (The work was being done on the car December 1.) I made this request because when I got the car inspected on my own a year ago I fear the place I took it to raised the car a bit without using the correct jack points, even though I had brought them instructions. So I was trying to avoid that this year if I could, and I knew that Tesla had taken care of the initial inspection, so I hoped it would not be too much trouble for them to do it again. I completely expected to pay the inspection fee of $10 if they could accomplish this.

Well, they --DID-- get the car inspected for me, and when I called to see if I could pay the $10, they would not take my money.

So I guess what I am saying is that as far as I am concerned, using my most recent experience to judge, the quality of the service itself has not decreased. The amount of time it took to get the service could have been better, but I do not blame that in any way on the service center or its employees, but rather on Tesla, as they simply need to increase service center capacity faster than they have been.

Made an appt a month ago for Dec 9th for a door handle that won't open (3 weeks out at the time). No update Fri-Mon so I called Tuesday and was told it was in queue. I called today and was told they are trying to squeeze it in.

What's the point of an appointment to have your car sit for 5 days? Really want to just take my car home and try again later. Sad

What's the point of an appointment to have your car sit for 5 days? Really want to just take my car home and try again later. Sad
I agree. Did you ask if they had all the parts available before you took the car in?

I won't drop mine off (so far most of my repairs have been while I wait) unless they confirm to me that they have all the parts in their hands. In fact they go out of their way to not schedule my appointment until they do have the parts. I am sure that there are times when they get deep into something and find additional problems, but that should be the exception.

As a followup to my "Driver assistance features unavailable", got hit with another one today after leaving a parking lot. I was only 5 miles away from home. If there's a sure way to reset it without having to wait 5-10 minutes after leaving your car, I'm open to it rather than having to bring it up with Tesla again.
I have been getting this off/on for the past month. I put it on my list. It has not affected me too much yet but I will be unhappy if i'm far away from home and get it.
I'm making a list which right now is short-2 items and I hope it stays that way but i'm not making an appt. yet.
The side-view mirrors need help going all the way out sometimes as well.
The "Driver assistance features unavailable" seems to only go away like you said "waiting 5-10 minutes with the car off.

Just had our MS in for annual service in Cincinnati. Easy to get appointment. Loaner MS warmed up (5 degrees this morning) for us. They also took care of a few minor issues and answered several questions. Our car inside and charged up (still 15 degrees outside) when they called us for pickup. Can't think of a better experience. Class act in Cincinnati.

I've noticed a huge increase in the time it takes me to get a service appointment. WE NEED MORE SCs.....This is a critical issue that has to be addressed ASAP!!!!

This is the crux of the problem, IMHO. In my experience, the SC folks are great, but the volumes of work are going to kill them unless there is more help (in the form of more SCs) in the pipeline. With Model 3, it seems to me like it will become almost unmanageable at present SC and staff numbers.

but the volumes of work are going to kill them unless there is more help (in the form of more SCs) in the pipeline
Or better manufactured and designed cars. A lot of the work is because of poor workmanship at the factory or design flaws. Both of these are getting better but we all know what's going to happen when the Model 3 is released.:eek:

• Love
Reactions: ohmman
This is the crux of the problem, IMHO. In my experience, the SC folks are great, but the volumes of work are going to kill them unless there is more help (in the form of more SCs) in the pipeline. With Model 3, it seems to me like it will become almost unmanageable at present SC and staff numbers.
I know they are building a second service center in Portland. I wasn't sure if they were going to close the original one or not. When I picked up my car on Monday the DS confirmed that both SCs would be operational.

I know they are building a second service center in Portland. I wasn't sure if they were going to close the original one or not. When I picked up my car on Monday the DS confirmed that both SCs would be operational.

It is my hope that as new centers open in my neck of the woods (one is under construction) that existing ones will remain as well. Right now, waiting on official confirmation one way or the other.

I welcome that! I just made an appointment last week. They can't see me until late January. Plenty of cheap rent office parks with rollup doors in Hillsboro. I could point them to at least 10 vacant buildings that would make good service centers. 480V already ran for superchargers too.

I went to the SC in Tigard last week to pick up some touch-up paint. I asked the guy helping me if this SC would stay open after the new one, down by the river, opens up for business. He said they would be closing the Tigard location. I hope he's wrong, but maybe the new one will be so huge and awesome that it won't matter. Or maybe they will figure out how to build the Model 3 so perfectly it won't need a service center.:rolleyes:

I went to the SC in Tigard last week to pick up some touch-up paint. I asked the guy helping me if this SC would stay open after the new one, down by the river, opens up for business. He said they would be closing the Tigard location. I hope he's wrong, but maybe the new one will be so huge and awesome that it won't matter. Or maybe they will figure out how to build the Model 3 so perfectly it won't need a service center.:rolleyes:

Well, the Tigard SC is very very small in comparison to others I've seen. If the new one is by the river I'd be guessing its on the east side or NW somewhere?

Coming back to the underlying issue, is everybody around here still of the opinion that EV service and repair should remain a monopoly?

Coffee served only by Starbucks? Telephones serviced only by ATT? Rockets flown only by Lockhead / Boeing? 600 mile round trips to the service center for issues not specific to electric propulsion? No kiddin'... . Swallowed hook and sinker... .

It's been three months since I was told a new driver's seat will be ordered for me to replace my loose one. Half a dozen follow-up calls later, I'm still waiting because of the parts sourcing issue they're having (for a basic multi-pattern black seat). Is this past the reasonable amount of wait time? Should I be escalating/complaining to someone? And if so, who would it be beyond the service center people I've been talking to so far?

It's been three months since I was told a new driver's seat will be ordered for me to replace my loose one. Half a dozen follow-up calls later, I'm still waiting because of the parts sourcing issue they're having (for a basic multi-pattern black seat). Is this past the reasonable amount of wait time? Should I be escalating/complaining to someone? And if so, who would it be beyond the service center people I've been talking to so far?
There is no escalation path past the local service centre any more. You could try sending a registered letter to the address in your warranty paperwork, they claim they'll pay attention if you do so, however from experience they ignore that too.
You could try a lemon law complaint.

• Helpful
Reactions: fallen888
I have a problem with my driver's side mirror. I told my DS and was given a phone number to call.

No one answered the call. When it switched to voice mail I was told the voice mailbox was full.

I called the national service number and they got me an appointment. I've had the car for 1 month. Disappointing.