Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have MYLR, thinking about buying MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the "charge faster" comment you've read is compared to older X's.

Considering how the X is heavier and less aero than the Y, if you consider miles-of-range-added per hour-of-charge, it could be a little slower.

BUT, both use a different battery cell. I might be wrong.

Reactions: EbS-P
I’m surprised cost is not even mentioned. It won’t charge faster, it may go a bit further but not by much, and it costs tens of thousands of more. If cost is not an issue get the X for sure.

I know I've said this about my last two, but unless it turns out to be a lemon, this will be my last vehicle. I'm 70, and still working full time, so can easily afford it, but if I cut back to half time, which I may do next year, a new vehicle every couple of years, becomes more of a hardship.

My official stance on work: I'll keep working as long as it's fun.

So my MXP is all great except all the minor issues that took 4 service center visits and one upcoming mobile visit to resolve all due to low quality bar at delivery and factory rollout and 1 steering rack replacement. Aside from that I don’t even want to drive my MYP anymore but it’s hasn’t had any of those issues so based on my limited sample a Y is likely to be better built than an X. The MXP does have one more annoying trait - some wind noise above 65mph on driver side seal arch, when I figure this it’ll be close to perfect.

But yeah get the X if money is no objection

I've got 16k miles on my '22 PY and also had to do a steering rack replacement, but our nearest SC is 215 miles away. Yes, they gave us a 3 for a loaner, but it was tedious to drive 4 hours, spend 7 hours entertaining ourselves, then have to drive 4 hours back.

@Ness y, I am curious what you are seeing that it will charge faster? The range isn’t really that big of a step up, unless your Y has substantial degradation. But the comfort, yes, I agree the X would be more comfortable than the Y.
@Ness y, I am curious what you are seeing that it will charge faster? The range isn’t really that big of a step up, unless your Y has substantial degradation. But the comfort, yes, I agree the X would be more comfortable than the Y.
IMG_2277.png
IMG_2276.png

• Informative
Reactions: towndrunk
@Ness y, does your model Y drop as quickly as shown in that plot from the peak charging rate? That fast drop off is a typical characteristic for my 2017 model X at a 250 kW charger, but not for my 2018 model 3, which I expect to have similar charging characteristics as the model Y.

Using Teslafi data, here is the comparison of my model 3 and refreshed S. I expect your Y and a refreshed X would be similar to this. I see no substantial difference.

IMG_7173.jpeg

If you do more highway driving and longer road trips, go with the MX - it is more comfortable in all aspects and its added range can make a difference compared to the MYLR for certain trips.

City driving and tight parking spots, go with the MY as it is much easier to maneuver in confined areas (it is difficult to see the front corners of the MX).

I too have considered the X after price drop after living with a YP. But, I’ve decided to wait for the Y refresh which will likely address all of the things I don’t like about my Y: harsh suspension, rattles, and road noise. The X is nice vehicle but the depreciation on my YP really prevents me from considering it.

Reactions: bobbyjae and RNHurt
I too have considered the X after price drop after living with a YP. But, I’ve decided to wait for the Y refresh which will likely address all of the things I don’t like about my Y: harsh suspension, rattles, and road noise. The X is nice vehicle but the depreciation on my YP really prevents me from considering it.

As soon as I saw the leaks of the refreshed Y, I knew I needed one. Even more so if the refreshed PY (plaid or ludicrous) was quicker than mine.

Then the tax-edition X landed on my radar and I decided that would make more sense. BUT, then I realized that I'd get bored with the LR and would need to buy a plaid, which could easily cost me $20k more just from having to trade up, let alone the cost of plaid itself. So I decided to spend $32k+ for Plaid now (which sounds really stupid in writing considering I'm losing the $7500 credit).

Regarding the depreciation, yes, I paid double for my PY compared to what it's worth now, but the MX has dropped a similar price, so that's how I can justify it in my mind.

FWIW, I'm 70 y.o. and still working full time, but I can see where I may cut back in a year or two, possibly before this is paid off. So unless it turns out to be a lemon, or I need to downsize, this will be my last vehicle. Might as well make it one I can enjoy.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'm 70 y.o. and still working full time, but I can see where I may cut back in a year or two, possibly before this is paid off. So unless it turns out to be a lemon, or I need to downsize, this will be my last vehicle. Might as well make it one I can enjoy.
Happy and sad for you at the same time. Realizing your own mortality at this point, but still able to enjoy the rest of life. What better way than to do it with an insanely fast car and doing the finer things in life. You only live once make the most of it! PS ultra red as a 70 Y.O man is peak

Reactions: towndrunk
I recently (8 months ago) made the change from a 2020 MY (new) to a 2020 MX (used), so I might have some input. I upgraded to get more passenger room and 7 seats; grandkids need somewhere to sit. :)

Good stuff:
- the ride is much better
- the noise is much lower
- the doors make the grandkids giggle with fun (best feature)
- the headlights; slow upgrade from low beams to high beams; light up on the side when you turn
- better windshield wipers
- auto open/close doors; just feels more classy
- its a bit more rare so you won't see 10 MX cars on every drive like you do with the MY

The Bad:
- the MY seemed to have just as much space, if not more in the back; is that due to the MX 7 seat option?
- the back seat roof glass is more broken up so the grandkids can't see up quite as well
- the front suspension is probably going to require more overall lifetime attention than the MY
- the doors are much more complex and will probably require more overall lifetime attention than the MY
- no USS; right now the door software is pretty buggy, but they should work that out in time

The problem I have is I purchased a "legacy" MX so it's really like a previous generation vehicle. It's missing quite a few features that my MY had (phone key, auto-steering wheel heat, internal camera, landscape screen, automatic vents, turn signal cameras, etc.) It also charges much slower than my MY, so road trips are a bit more lengthy.

However, you won't run into those problems with a new MX as it has everything that the new MY has plus more.