Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have to vent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The target price for CT is in th e 40k price range, you really think anyone is going to buy a10 yr old S/X frame in the 100k price range when they come out? Osborne wasn't born yesterday. Food for thought.

It’s going off topic, but I was really surprised when Elon said the CT is going to be very complex to build. Seems opposite of trying to keep prices down when they have a clean sheet opportunity to make it simple and inexpensive to build.

1681057399725.png

By the way, if you watch Sandy Munro’s team tear apart the new Model S, you’ll see it has little in common with the earlier Model S. Unfortunately, it looks like it on the outside, but with the new gigacasting architecture and redesign of the drive units and suspension, it’s a whole new car on the inside.

It’s going off topic, but I was really surprised when Elon said the CT is going to be very complex to build. Seems opposite of trying to keep prices down when they have a clean sheet opportunity to make it simple and inexpensive to build.

By the way, if you watch Sandy Munro’s team tear apart the new Model S, you’ll see it has little in common with the earlier Model S. Unfortunately, it looks like it on the outside, but with the new gigacasting architecture and redesign of the drive units and suspension, it’s a whole new car on the inside.

Since we're venting, let's feel free to continue ;) I believe the goal its to make S/X mass produceable which will enable lowering the price. All roads lead to price going down on S/X which has happened already in the US (not yet in the EU).

Sorry, need to vent. Just picked up my MS and today I see the base price decreased $5k to $85k. I can't imagine how those that paid the price before the last 2 other decreases feel... Very frustrating to know you overpaid that much and now your existing car is worth less on day one. :(
When I received my MS90D in 2017, the 100D came out for the same price.

And now, can get a model S plaid for the same price I paid with faster charging, 130 miles more range and twice as quick.

But, I simply drive the car. I obviously thought it was worth it to me when I signed the contract I AGREED TO.

From all reports, the use of large single castings and new designs that make the cars less expensive to produce, why would you not expect Tesla to reduce pricing when they can, to increase volumes. (sorry for quirky sentence structure)

In general, I dislike the external styling on modern vehicles, so the fact that Tesla made only minor external modifications is a positive thing to me. By way of a good example, I purchased Lexus vehicles starting with the 1992 (if I recall correctly) SC 400 and ending with the GS 470 in 2004, and I loved the styling. Today, I would not even consider purchasing a Lexus. The pinched mouth (hourglass) shape of the front is an absolute turnoff… and most cars these days are the same. I don’t consider it unfortunate at all that Tesla has not drastically altered the exterior… I fear that if/when they do, I will may have to find another EV supplier. For me, the Cybertruck is an absolute styling disaster, but the images of the roadster are amazing. I suppose there is still hope that Tesla will create a beautiful Model S when they do a complete exterior redesign.

Joe

View attachment 926601

Sorry, need to vent. Just picked up my MS and today I see the base price decreased $5k to $85k. I can't imagine how those that paid the price before the last 2 other decreases feel... Very frustrating to know you overpaid that much and now your existing car is worth less on day one. :(
I embarrassingly paid $129k for my Telsa S Plaid last year and beyond livid with Elon's shenanigans.

Reactions: 4WheelBill
Here's an analogy to help people understand the feeling when the MSRP is cut, multiple times, on a car you just bought.

Say you do some kind of construction work, and you agree to do a job for the government at a price you feel is very fair pay at the time. You do the hard work, and then get paid at the end of the successful job. All good until you wake up the next day to find out the government has artificially lowered the value of the dollar, that they completely control, by a significant amount, then they do it a again, and again, and probably will keep doing it.

By the way, I haven't checked. Have they lowered the price again today? 🤣

Last edited:
Here's an analogy to help people understand the feeling when the MSRP is cut, multiple times, on a car you just bought.

Say you do some kind of construction work, and you agree to do a job for the government at a price you feel is very fair pay at the time. You do the hard work, and then get paid at the end of the successful job. All good until you wake up the next day to find out the government has artificially lowered the value of the dollar, that they completely control, by a significant amount, then they do it a again, and again, and probably will keep doing it.

By the way, I haven't checked. Have they lowered the price again today? 🤣
Yes we understand, it is literally what is happening now, it's called inflation, I wish I was in debt like our government so i could pay back my loan with 50 cent dollars!

You might be right, but I read this thread as being about Tesla lowering the prices of future models (future with respect to those who purchased before the current price reduced models) which then devalued their current models. I think that quote from 2006 fits this situation exactly, and I am prepared for Tesla to continue lowering prices after my MSP delivers (with any luck) in two weeks.

There can be little doubt that Musk is unpredictable… and I expect him to become less predictable in the future as he does whatever it takes to keep Tesla alive and destroy the competition (or at least make life very painful for them).

Joe

Not a great example to cite in this case. All that is clearly describing driving down the price of future models, not devaluing the current models.

You might be right, but I read this thread as being about Tesla lowering the prices of future models (future with respect to those who purchased before the current price reduced models) which then devalued their current models. I think that quote from 2006 fits this situation exactly, and I am prepared for Tesla to continue lowering prices after my MSP delivers (with any luck) in two weeks.

There can be little doubt that Musk is unpredictable… and I expect him to become less predictable in the future as he does whatever it takes to keep Tesla alive and destroy the competition (or at least make life very painful for them).

Joe
That's an interesting quote, even though it's so old now. It's simply describing a price skimming strategy for entering the car market. It was obvious that this was what Tesla was doing, but cool to see it spelled out so clearly. And even more cool to see how well Tesla executed on this strategy.

Their intent now is to become a volume leader and sell as many cars as possible. From the way they sell cars, to the way they service cars to the new cheaper model announced, it's clear that they want to dominate the mainstream market where the Model S/X play no part. I already saw that in the last quarter, Model S/X accounted for only about 3% of their sales. That's ridiculously low and it will get even lower with the introduction of a new, cheaper and even higher volume model. It will be interesting to see what happens to their brand image as they do this. Part of buying an $80K luxury car is the brand name after all. People obviously don't just overpay for Mercedes and Porsche because the cars are 3x better than Toyota. Tesla has had that cool brand factor for a while, but it can't last if every other car on the road is a Tesla. I wouldn't be surprised if the Model S/X are canceled in the not so distant future. A few years ago Elon said that they continue making the Model S for "sentimental" reasons. I have a feeling that is not quite true, considering how business savvy he is. He will cancel them as soon as they no longer make business sense.

Sorry, that was a bit off topic. On the other hand, reducing price to grow sales volumes at all costs fits in perfectly with the "volume leader" strategy. If increasing volume requires crushing resale values in the short term, Tesla will do it. And you will be shamed for not liking it. :)