Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you noticed AP 2 learning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

I've been testing Autopilot (in it's limited form) since receiving the 17.7.2 update yesterday morning. I'm curious to know if any of you on HW2 have noticed improved Autopilot performance after driving the same road multiple times (especially on local roads)? Perhaps successfully taking a turn it failed to take in the beginning? I know some of you have been testing HW2 Autopilot for a while now

Many thanks :)
Paul

I've seen a significant improvement in performance since the first update I received with the 45 mph limit. At first, the car would play ping pong between the lane markings. Nowadays it seems to do a pretty decent job holding position in the center of the lane. I do get the occasional phantom bridge/freeway sign braking with TACC, but other than that I'm satisfied for now (minus the 50mph limit for highways).

Reactions: wesley888
Learning isn't day to day or moment to moment. We will only notice the product of the data learning as each firmware is rolled out. As far as I understand it, there is no improvement between firmware revisions.
This.

While it's possible they're learning on the fly, I am almost certain it's not the case. Image if the car learned something bad/wrong, and a human didn't go over the data before beaming it to your car, Tesla would have a lot of complaints...

Reactions: croman
In that case I guess it was just weather/visibility-related :(

There is a lot of variability in how AP2 operates. I travel the exact same route and almost the exact same times and I find that AP2's performance is affected by more than just the weather. What vehicles are around you, the spacing, the relative speed of traffic, etc. So much goes into it that at times it can seem to be "better" or "worse" while, in reality, it is the same set of algorithms coping with an ever changing situation. I am hopeful that they will iron out these bad behaviors as they expertly did with AP1. That is something we all need to contribute and collaborate with Tesla on by sending them notes with our observations when AP2 fails.

While some might think its not an issue that AP2 on local autosteer crosses yellow lines because they are there to take over, I find it extremely troubling and disappointing. I've never let it wander, but I still consider that to be a serious issue and won't minimize or coddle Tesla's mistakes. They can and should do better and iterative learning is only one aspect of that improvement.

We have other cars that WON'T try & take us off the road. Thus, we wait .... and wait .... and wait. If you have other transportation, why in the world would anyone want to rack up miles, only to face the next round of dash notifications "safety features are inoperative - if this continues, see your service adviser" or whatever.

Reactions: disagree
AP isn't learning the roads either - it's not sitting there thinking 'ah, that's how I take that corner' or 'I know where that road goes when the markings are lost". It's refining how to interpret what it's sensors tell it. It's like teaching it how to do algebra rather than the answer to every sum, just on a much bigger scale.

Learning isn't day to day or moment to moment. We will only notice the product of the data learning as each firmware is rolled out. As far as I understand it, there is no improvement between firmware revisions.
The learning path is Your Car > Tesla Servers > Logic System > Tesla Servers > Your Car. This is completely separate from firmware updates though developers do use learning bits to guide firmware design.

Your car can see something on a road along with other cars, the logic system incorporates it, and it's back in your car as learned behavior the next day. There are some pretty detailed algorithms for what does and does not get incorporated though like multiple and every car have to see the same thing for it to be trusted. My understanding is that today learned behavior is at a fleet level but at some point they'll begin doing it at an individual level (e.g., you always consistently take a certain path around a slightly sunken manhole cover that others drive straight over). BTW, there is a manhole cover that three of us consistently drove around and eventually AP1 began doing so and it began doing so between firmware updates.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: JonG and croman
I have not noticed any improvement on the SAME firmware. It fiddles around at a section where the center yellow dots go missing for a turn almost everytime and does not take the slow curve smoothly instead opts to do incremental turns over the course of the road. If it were learning, it should have learnt that by now, but no.

I'm not sure if it's learning or not.

But it is better.

Initially it would slam on the brakes hard for random bridges and for big trucks in adjacent lanes.

Now it doesn't do that any more, but I do get some mild braking for the same reason.

It is minimally better at staying in lane if there is an off ramp. Before it took the off amp 100% of the time. Now it is confused and usually drives in both lanes, but sometimes will stay where it should.

Also better in stop and go highway traffic. Before it slammed on go pedal and brakes. Now it accelerates more smoothly, although it still brakes too hard imo

Thus overall better

Where it excels is being in middle or left lane of highway in slow but not stop and go traffic

While some might think its not an issue that AP2 on local autosteer crosses yellow lines because they are there to take over
I don't understand what you mean by "local autosteer crosses yellow lines because they are there to take over"?

y understanding is that today learned behavior is at a fleet level but at some point they'll begin doing it at an individual level (e.g., you always consistently take a certain path around a slightly sunken manhole cover that others drive straight over). BTW, there is a manhole cover that three of us consistently drove around and eventually AP1 began doing so and it began doing so between firmware updates.
Wow. That is amazing.