Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you reserved your Model S or do you plan on it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do realize that he car costs $57.4k minimum? You get the $7.5k applied when you file your taxes(assuming you owe or paid that much in Federal taxes that year).
True, but I can compensate partly ahead of time by changing my withholding and the rest I can wait for the tax refund to come back.

And it's actually 9k in rebates for me because Oregon has a $1500 credit too.

My concern is how much the "options" will cost. 50k is already nearing the edge of my range.

One thing you should consider... it costs much less to run a Tesla. I can drive my ICE car and put in $180 of gasoline in a month, or I can drive my Roadster and use $30 of electricity. And that is at today's prices; who knows where gas is headed? Over the life of the car it will probably end up even cost-wise with a Corolla even if gas doesn't go up.

So maybe lower operating costs will help offset those car loan payments!

One thing you should consider... it costs much less to run a Tesla. I can drive my ICE car and put in $180 of gasoline in a month, or I can drive my Roadster and use $30 of electricity. And that is at today's prices; who knows where gas is headed? Over the life of the car it will probably end up even cost-wise with a Corolla even if gas doesn't go up.

So maybe lower operating costs will help offset those car loan payments!
It will and that's why I'm considering it and why I think the idea went well with my wife too. It's still tight. We'd normally get about a 30-35k ICE car, which theoretically is around a 50k EV car. Can't remember where I saw 15k as an estimated savings over the life of the car, but I know I have. 60k (after rebates) I could swing. 70k likely isn't going to happen.

qwk, I tried to post the Oregon rebate link and it says the post is awaiting a moderator (presumably my post count is too low to post links). Look on the Tesla site, Go Electric->Incentives and pick Oregon. It'll have the link.

I'm also at the edge of what I want to put into a car, which is a depreciating asset, though here in Norway if the base price is just $65 000 I'd be overjoyed. We don't have any monetary incentives directly for buying an EV, so I'm very curious on what this will cost. Currently I paid more to reserve the Model S than what my current car is worth :)

Cobos

Was that for me? I've got a reservation for a P series Model S. I'm not even close to be able to afford a Signature edition.

Cobos

I know the Model S pricing is fluid, but based on some prior guesses, a stacked P model may cost the same or even more than an Signature model.

There was some hint that the Signature model may be priced at $80k. The Signature model should be pretty stacked and even have some unique features offered to the regular models.

If you buy the regular model, upgrade to 300 mile range (which admittedly may not be available at the inception), and throw in a few more options, the cost may come out to $80k.

Jkam: Which is why I am perfectly happy with the 160 mile battery and probably will have to be really carefull on the options list if I want to keep within my budget. On the other hand if I later decide I do not want the Model S or can't afford the car, then resale value is usually tied to number of options selected :)

Cobos

Maybe early roadster owners can address this question. I'm eager for the Model S, enough that if I can get the down payment, I'm considering the Signature. However, I'm leery of paying a premium to be a "beta" customer and being the one that has oddball issues that are fixed in the next model year. For roadster owners, I guess the early ones really, when the roadster had issues what was Telsa's policy about addressing them? I can see a variety of things that would necessarily be under a warranty (like, say, an early rattle developing somewhere).

Love Tesla service.

I have an early 2.0. I had a latch problem w/ my trunk. It would not release. They sent a tech to my office at my conveience.
Now comes the hard part...
They never had my issue. Usually they could hard open the latch and fix. However my latch was broken. To get to broken part required putting car on a lift, and he wanted to take my car back to Menlo.
I could have said "FU haul it to Menlo and give me a rental" & YOU SUCK.
Instead, I told tech I could get him on lift at local tire shop where I get other cars serviced, and we went there. I gave shop $20 tip and within hour my repair/trunk was fixed.

P.S. I got 8,500 everyday miles and my most expensive service is tires. The roadster is a super fast beast and requires sticky sport tires. Cheaper options are available but I like grip.

Ckessel... You may be a "beta" for the "S" but the service is worth it.

Last edited:
Ckessel... You may be a "beta" for the "S" but the service is worth it.
That's good to hear, though your post does bring up one interesting question. Tesla doesn't have any shops remotely near me. I think Seattle is the closest (I'm in Portland). Yea, they have the ranger service thing, but paying $400 for the roundtrip to Seattle if I've got, say, a trunk latch issue, makes the service more or less infeasible for small issues. Not to mention the lack of a car for the duratoin.

I guess when the model S finally gets near, I'll have to talk with Tesla about how they're going to handle those kinds of things. It's not really an EV issue, it's a small car company issue.

That's good to hear, though your post does bring up one interesting question. Tesla doesn't have any shops remotely near me. I think Seattle is the closest (I'm in Portland). Yea, they have the ranger service thing, but paying $400 for the roundtrip to Seattle if I've got, say, a trunk latch issue, makes the service more or less infeasible for small issues. Not to mention the lack of a car for the duratoin.

I guess when the model S finally gets near, I'll have to talk with Tesla about how they're going to handle those kinds of things. It's not really an EV issue, it's a small car company issue.

They just hauled mine from Boston to NY and back without charging me for my warranty-covered issues.

Hello all I have am new on this forum I have reserve the Tesla S the 1/18/11 and I have just received my number of reservation: P404 in France I hope to receive it for the end of 2012.
Welcome!

I'm new here to. I've made my Tesla reservation somewhere in Juni 2010, my reservation number is P273 (I think, not sure, was something in that neighborhood). I'll go for the 300-mile pack and expect my Model S to be somewhere around $80k.