Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you reserved your Model S or do you plan on it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's strange. I was previously at S126 but only moved up to S114. I would think if people moved up, they would move up in order.

Tesla likes me better than you. :p

The only reason I can think of is Tesla might be interested in allocating cars to different geographical areas to maximize word of mouth and visual presence. Probably makes sense for them to have at least one car spread out all over the place as opposed to selling them all in the Bay area. Only conjecture.

Just curious, are you in the US? Also, did you contact Tesla to see if that's accurate? I wonder if I moved up in line again too but it hasn't changed. Thanks.

I'm in Hawaii, so yes I'm in the US. I didn't contact Tesla to verify it. I just see my number has changed when I log into my account on the Tesla website.

Looks like I moved around the list after I bought the Roadster so that explains some of the movement. Makes a little more sense now. As much as I love the Roadster, I'm really excited to see how the Model S turns out.

I have not reserved one, but would love too! As of this moment the Model S is pie in the sky They need to be a whole lot closer to a true delivery date for me. My concern's are what exactly am I buying. You see I want a 300 mile battery and I want the 3rd row seating, induction charging and I'd like the AWD but what's it gonna cost me because I don't want to swing a $100,000 car it's just not worth it to me but i'd buy a 60K Tesla with a 300 mile batter and 3rd row seating. Until Tesla can actually tell us what we are getting for the money and how much it's really gonna cost for the car of my dreams I am forced to hold off until a deliver date gets closer. Come on Beta's!

i'd buy a 60K Tesla with a 300 mile batter and 3rd row seating.

I think the 3rd row of seating is a given. Tesla has been pretty consistent about maintaining 7 passenger sedan. The rear seats may not be big enough to fit an adult, but I'm pretty sure you won't be paying extra for the 3rd row of seating - i.e. the 3rd row of seating is standard, not an option.

As far as $60k with 300 mile range, that might be tough. The base price is $50k and the extra range needed for the 300 miles may cost in the neighborhood of $10k. Under your budget, you won't be able to get any other options. What those options may be, we don't know yet, but I can't imagine buying a car of this caliber and not buying any options. Who knows though, Tesla might stack the standard versions of the car. It is a little too early to tell, but my uneducated intuition is that for a 300 mile version, it is going to cost somewhere around $70k.

I guessing the actual seats for the third row will be an added cost.

My wife insisted on 3rd row of seats on her past 2 vehicles.
For both the Mercury Sable wagon and last gen Toyota Highlander Hybird it was an extra cost option.
Possibly it is included on some minivans, but otherwise I think having it be an option is common.

I wonder which of these will be standard, and which will be optional?
• Panoramic roof with sliding moon roof
• Retracting door handles for improved aerodynamics
• Full-time 3G connectivity with Internet, HD and satellite radio
• Brembo brakes
• Automatic rear lift gate
• 21-inch wheels, Front Tires 245/35ZR21, Rear Tires 285/30ZR21 (Advan Sport)
• 17-inch haptic touchscreen and customizable vehicle information display
• Fully digital instrument cluster
• LED and neon headlight and taillights, with xenon Hella low beams
• Smart-key power and push button gear selector

I wonder which of these will be standard, and which will be optional?

My guess is the panoramic roof, the 21-inch wheels, and, possibly, the Brembo's.

Usually the "shown-off" wheels are an option with sometimes-less-appealing wheels being standard.

It doesn't make much sense to me that Tesla would design alternative door handles, an entirely different dash with knobs/buttons instead of the screen and an analog instrument panel for those that don't want to (or can't) spend the money on those features.

I had to smile at this one because there were a few of us that actually liked Tesla's stock Roadster wheels better than the upgrade.

Back for 2008, I tend to agree, but now the revised "pinwheel" design looks better to me. Also, they don't offer anymore the extra dark finish that you got on yours.
(Which was said to be a mistake, but a lot of people ended up liking it.)
Today I would be inclined to consider the black painted pinwheel design over the base shiny wheels.

Oh, and give up your dream of Tesla telling you exactly how much it's really gonna cost anytime soon. I bought Roadster AFTER they started shipping and they raised the price on me between the time I put down my deposit and when my car showed up. You're never safe.

Tesla took the price of the S off of their site. You are right. It looks like the roadster price BS all over again.

Tesla took the price of the S off of their site. You are right. It looks like the roadster price BS all over again.
You have to press the "reserve" button to see it, but it still says $49k after $7,500 federal rebate. However, given previous history of Tesla (and probably 99.9% of green car start-ups) it's much better to bet that the price will increase from the number promised. I'm just hoping Tesla did a much better price estimation this time (since this is not their first car anymore) and there wouldn't need to be a price increase.

Last edited:
You have to press the "reserve" button to see it, but it still says $49k after $7,500 federal rebate. However, given previous history of Tesla (and probably 99.9% of green car start-ups) it's much better to bet that the price will increase from the number promised. I'm just hoping Tesla did a much better price estimation this time (since this is not their first car anymore) and there wouldn't need to be a price increase.
It's also there if you actually go the "order online"....still 50k (after rebates).

My concern is how much the "options" will cost. 50k is already nearing the edge of my range. If, with options, it's more than 60k I'm probably out of luck. That's with the 230 mile pack as the 160 won't make trips I need to make. I know the Roadster can go from 110k to something closer to 150k with options, so I'm definitely feeling some price concern.

I didn't look there. It used to be on the Model S specs page.

It's also there if you actually go the "order online"....still 50k (after rebates).

My concern is how much the "options" will cost. 50k is already nearing the edge of my range. If, with options, it's more than 60k I'm probably out of luck. That's with the 230 mile pack as the 160 won't make trips I need to make. I know the Roadster can go from 110k to something closer to 150k with options, so I'm definitely feeling some price concern.

You do realize that he car costs $57.4k minimum? You get the $7.5k applied when you file your taxes(assuming you owe or paid that much in Federal taxes that year).