Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having second thoughts on picking up MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TMC,

I ordered an MYP on Jan 23 and it has arrived at the Salt Lake City Tesla dealer. I deferred pick up until Thursday, March 2 because I need to hear the news from Elon tomorrow before I commit. I am concerned about the lack of USS, impending HW 4.0, and phantom breaking issues and considering walking away to go and pickup the Ioniq 5. I originally decided the ioniq 5 was a better option based on features but was not willing to pay the $5k over MSRP back in Jan. Since then the Ioniq 5 is down $6k to compete with Tesla. The MYP has grown on me since ordering and I love the styling and while I have never driven the performance version I did like driving the LR demo. I feel like vision will eventually have some sort of park assist solution so I'm willing to discount the lack of USS. So my pendulum swung towards the MY.

How bad is this phantom breaking issue? I think that is where I'm interested in other's opinion as I try to make a final decision. I have a Hyundai Palisade with Highway Driving Assist (HDA) and it's amazing. I have found Hyundais HDA to be extremely reliable and I use it all the time. The HDA2 with heads up display is even better with auto lane change as experienced in my test drives. Really looking for other's options on Autopilot thoughts with a MY.
I have owned a 2022 model y for 14 months. Never experienced phantom braking. In use autopilot + autosteer on freeways in California all the time.

I think phantom braking is now more or less a non-issue. When they first made the switch to vision-only, there were some growing pains and it seemed that phantom braking had gotten worse. I had phantom braking in certain places when I first got my car... but over the past year or so, I haven't had any instances of phantom braking nor have I really been hearing any complaints either. I no longer get any phantom braking at all, including those places where I used to get it regularly. In fact, I completely forgot this was a thing until reading this thread today.

If you only care about in-range then check out the Bolt or Bolt EUV. You could save a ton of money.
Hatchback: 2LT + adaptive cruise $31.9k.
EUV: adaptive cruise standard on the Premier ($33k) then $2.2k to add Super Cruise (highway limited).
They're eligible for the tax credit.
Bolt. Burned down a garage in my neighborhood. They took it off the market for what, 2 years to fix the problems and it's still burning down garages.

GM: General Meandering.................

I think phantom braking is now more or less a non-issue. When they first made the switch to vision-only, there were some growing pains and it seemed that phantom braking had gotten worse. I had phantom braking in certain places when I first got my car... but over the past year or so, I haven't had any instances of phantom braking nor have I really been hearing any complaints either. I no longer get any phantom braking at all, including those places where I used to get it regularly. In fact, I completely forgot this was a thing until reading this thread today.
Phantom braking is definitely not a non-issue now. Still happens constantly, especially if there are no other cars within vision distance and there is a hill or even slight down grade ahead.

Long time lurker and first time poster here. I bought a 2023 MY last month and it’s the first new car (and expensive car) I’ve ever purchased.

I feel nothing but disappointment.

Customer service has been non existent from the time I tried booking my car pick up and they kept moving it and not responding to me.

Then my car had wind coming through the dash in the first week so they kept my car for 6 days and gave me Uber credits. The credits were not usable since I live ~1 hour from my job and the service center.

They replaced my windshield as it wasn’t fitted and tried to charge me for it. They ordered a new dash cover and it won’t arrive for two months so there’s another appointment.

Now, I hear a rattle underneath my center console and it’s nonstop. It makes driving miserable. There are no appointments for two weeks. And even then, I cannot leave my car without a loaner which they’ve told me is unlikely they’ll have.

I’ve already spent so much on this experience but I feel like I’ve had enough. I can’t even enjoy this supposedly luxury car. I’ve reached out to Carvana to sell it. I’m sure I’m overreacting but I don’t feel good about this at all. I’m just sharing my experience and feelings. Now I just live with anxiety of finding something else wrong and how long they’ll keep my car at the shop again.

Anybody gone through something similar?Thanks for lending an ear.

Ride quality is a definitely a factor where you live too. I live in Boston where the roads are littered with potholes and craters. My 2015 Model S hates Boston roads. But it LOVES Florida roads and rides so quietly and smooth when I make the trip down south in the winter.
hey there! I also own a 2015 MS (70D). I'm in San Diego currently, but I may be moving to Boston by the end of the year. I'm concerned that the 70D with only 155-175 miles of real world range at SoC 90% will be able to survive the Boston winters (I most likely won't have a garage). It would be great to hear your opinion on if you think it could survive in Boston.. thanks in advance!

Reactions: zoomer0056
JeG
Long time lurker and first time poster here. I bought a 2023 MY last month and it’s the first new car (and expensive car) I’ve ever purchased.

Customer service has been non existent from the time I tried booking my car pick up and they kept moving it and not responding to me.

Then my car had wind coming through the dash in the first week so they kept my car for 6 days and gave me Uber credits. The credits were not usable since I live ~1 hour from my job and the service center.

They replaced my windshield as it wasn’t fitted and tried to charge me for it. They ordered a new dash cover and it won’t arrive for two months so there’s another appointment.

Now, I hear a rattle underneath my center console and it’s nonstop. It makes driving miserable. There are no appointments for two weeks. And even then, I cannot leave my car without a loaner which they’ve told me is unlikely they’ll have.

I’ve already spent so much on this experience but I feel like I’ve had enough. I can’t even enjoy this supposedly luxury car. I’ve reached out to Carvana to sell it. I’m sure I’m overreacting but I don’t feel good about this at all. I’m just sharing my experience and feelings. Now I just live with anxiety of finding something else wrong and how long they’ll keep my car at the shop again.

Anybody gone through something similar?Thanks for lending an ear.
Geezus... sorry to hear. I really thought they were past this crap by now with the 2023 MY :/

It is normal for a price to be part of your appointment as that's Tesla's way. As soon as it goes in and is fixed under waranty, you won't be charged. And it does take time for parts. If the rattle is easily repeated they can diagnose it. Do a search on TMC and you may find some info about rattles. If that's all there is, then you're almost done with the bad. So, there must be some things that give joy. If not, then selling to Carvana is a good choice, you won't loose much

Reactions: BitJam and jschimel
hey there! I also own a 2015 MS (70D). I'm in San Diego currently, but I may be moving to Boston by the end of the year. I'm concerned that the 70D with only 155-175 miles of real world range at SoC 90% will be able to survive the Boston winters (I most likely won't have a garage). It would be great to hear your opinion on if you think it could survive in Boston.. thanks in advance!
How much of a commute will you have?

Welcome to Boston, although it's going to be tough for you to adjust to our long winters! Especially for parking. It's already very difficult to find consistent street parking, but in the winter when the snow piles up, forget about it. It would be worth while renting a monthly garage parking to protect your 70D.

For range concerns, we have superchargers scattered throughout the city. However, most of them are in PAID parking garages and they are urban chargers so they peak around 75kw. We have a brand new 250kw supercharger in Somerville, MA, about 15-20 minutes from downtown Boston. But that charger is SUPER SUPER busy all the time. You'll want to also seek level 2 chargers around your area using the plugshare website/app. Frankly, I tell my friends, unless you can charge at home or at your work, owning an EV has the potential to be a royal PIA with charging. But I still LOVE my 2015 Model S!

The potholes suck here big time. Boston is just not a car friendly place, with its narrow streets that are one ways and have no organized grid system.

In fact, I recently purchased an electric scooter and keep it in my Model S trunk. I park at a large lot, and take the subway into downtown. Then I scoot around the city to get to places. So much better than driving through the city itself.

Welcome to Boston, although it's going to be tough for you to adjust to our long winters! Especially for parking. It's already very difficult to find consistent street parking, but in the winter when the snow piles up, forget about it. It would be worth while renting a monthly garage parking to protect your 70D.

For range concerns, we have superchargers scattered throughout the city. However, most of them are in PAID parking garages and they are urban chargers so they peak around 75kw. We have a brand new 250kw supercharger in Somerville, MA, about 15-20 minutes from downtown Boston. But that charger is SUPER SUPER busy all the time. You'll want to also seek level 2 chargers around your area using the plugshare website/app. Frankly, I tell my friends, unless you can charge at home or at your work, owning an EV has the potential to be a royal PIA with charging. But I still LOVE my 2015 Model S!

The potholes suck here big time. Boston is just not a car friendly place, with its narrow streets that are one ways and have no organized grid system.

In fact, I recently purchased an electric scooter and keep it in my Model S trunk. I park at a large lot, and take the subway into downtown. Then I scoot around the city to get to places. So much better than driving through the city itself.
Thanks! And thanks for this very nice reply :) Appreciate the advice about renting a garage spot. The range concern is more of a frequency of charging concern -- if I'm not able to plug in my MS overnight, will there be significant phantom drain during winter temps that would require charging it every 48 hours or so? Cause that sounds like more of a hassle then it'd be worth :/ I think at least I may be able to charge at work tho. I love my 2015 MS too! Which is why I'm trying to figure out how to keep it short of getting the 057 100kWh upgrade haha. Ooh the trunk scooter does sound like a pro move!

Thanks! And thanks for this very nice reply :) Appreciate the advice about renting a garage spot. The range concern is more of a frequency of charging concern -- if I'm not able to plug in my MS overnight, will there be significant phantom drain during winter temps that would require charging it every 48 hours or so? Cause that sounds like more of a hassle then it'd be worth :/ I think at least I may be able to charge at work tho. I love my 2015 MS too! Which is why I'm trying to figure out how to keep it short of getting the 057 100kWh upgrade haha. Ooh the trunk scooter does sound like a pro move!
No problem! Here's what I would do in your situation. From November until say April 1st, charge the Tesla to 90% at a minimum once a week. Then for the rest of the year, charge to 80% at a minimum once a week. The phantom drain/preheating over the winter will cost you 10-20%. Hopefully, 140-150 miles of range during the winter season will be enough for your needs.

And yes, I would highly recommend you get an escooter. Then you can find a Level 2 charger somewhere in the city, park, and scoot back to your house. I've done that myself when I am traveling and don't have a charger nearby.

Finally, keep in mind that charging to 100% is perfectly fine as long as you schedule the Tesla to trickle charge right until the time you plan to leave. That way you prevent the battery from sitting at the high state for a long period of time.

• Helpful
Reactions: jschimel
I've driven mine around SLC for years and not encountered any bad phantom breaking on the roads in/around the city. HW4 will not be coming to the 3/Y for years so no reason to wait. Mine is old enough that I have USS but quite honestly I've been driving years before this technology was developed so it's nice to have but I really don't care one way or the other. YMMV
hw4 is here looooool