Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is ok as long as it is located at the sterling wheel area. Btw, would u pls indicate the exact location with a picture?

As far as I know, Tesla stopped using this button because you could still engage cruise with a single pull of the stalk, and engage AP with the double-pull. This made the button on the end superfluous.

unused_button.jpg

As far as I know, Tesla stopped using this button because you could still engage cruise with a single pull of the stalk, and engage AP with the double-pull. This made the button on the end superfluous.

View attachment 336770
The new manual doesn't even mention/show this button. My 2015 P85D has this, which I use to disengage TACC without stepping on the brake.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Haha no problem! And very important to make it adjustable through the scroller or something. Then you have solved the sync problem and youtube will be usable with bluetooth audio, and people don't need to use special apps to play a video. :)
But that comes with another problem when people using smartphone mirroring the waze, other means of navi system, such application needs real time image....

View attachment 336770
I can concur... That button disables TACC / AS. Probably not a good idea to use it.
Also, they stopped using that stalk in 2016. The past two years have not had that button.

But that comes with another problem when people using smartphone mirroring the waze, other means of navi system, such application needs real time image....

Is 100 ms gonna be a problem? In any case you should be able to use scroller or a combination of button presses to reset it to 0.
The best thing would be if you mounted a raspberry PI (communicated via SPI, ethernet or UART) on it and created a Android Auto client on it so you could have native waze projected onto the screen etc. Also that would be a nice media player etc etc.

I can concur... That button disables TACC / AS. Probably not a good idea to use it.
Also, they stopped using that stalk in 2016. The past two years have not had that button.

Yep. All AP cars with or without the button can cancel AP and/or TACC by pushing the stalk away from the driver, so there is no unique function to the button anymore. Some owners of older models like myself might still like to use it though instead of pushing the stalk, just a personal preference if the choice is there.

Are these products not similar:
NAVTOOL INC
Funny story, I found Navtool about a year ago and got really excited. If you look at their sales videos, or at least back then, they were openly hostile to the consumer. It was sooo weird. Instead of a video about "hey, check out our cool product", it was "hey, if you buy this and it doesn't work, it's your fault, you are an idiot". I made a post on here about the product, thinking it would be a huge hit. And they actually showed up to the thread to answer questions, but they had very vague answers and timelines, or just plain ignored questions. I have no doubt they had products that worked for other cars, but their claim they had one that worked with Tesla was completely bogus.

So that's why this product seems so cool. I mean, if you were to believe the pictures, it actually does work. And the interface with the car doesn't seem too intrusive at all. I'm a tad nervous about the CANbus interface, but I don't know enough about CANbus as I only use device to read from it. I don't know if this product is injecting anything into the CANbus, that's just a small yellow flag for me. And plus, that would really get Tesla's attention if they were selling a product that did that, right?

Edit: Hey look, my thread: NavTool Integration

Edit2: I think this person works for them: almans - but again, he did not seem remotely helpful.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I remember that thread, and wanted to thank you for posting it. I was considering it at the same time and would have pulled the trigger if you hadn't posted and exposed their enthusiastic disdain for people that buy their products. I didn't get a good vibe and their inability to answer any questions left me certain they're just scammers anyway.

Is 100 ms gonna be a problem? In any case you should be able to use scroller or a combination of button presses to reset it to 0.
The best thing would be if you mounted a raspberry PI (communicated via SPI, ethernet or UART) on it and created a Android Auto client on it so you could have native waze projected onto the screen etc. Also that would be a nice media player etc etc.
If it is connected with 360 around view system of which also requires instant image streaming.

will talk with the S/W engineer to see if it is ok to make the S/W available for user to select the Video delay on/off by pressing one of the key/button from the steering wheel (CAN decoder stuff). Need to evaluate the possibility and feasibility in order to avoid any delay in production.

Thanks for such idea! High appreciate ;)

Reactions: emmz0r
Funny story, I found Navtool about a year ago and got really excited. If you look at their sales videos, or at least back then, they were openly hostile to the consumer. It was sooo weird. Instead of a video about "hey, check out our cool product", it was "hey, if you buy this and it doesn't work, it's your fault, you are an idiot". I made a post on here about the product, thinking it would be a huge hit. And they actually showed up to the thread to answer questions, but they had very vague answers and timelines, or just plain ignored questions. I have no doubt they had products that worked for other cars, but their claim they had one that worked with Tesla was completely bogus.

So that's why this product seems so cool. I mean, if you were to believe the pictures, it actually does work. And the interface with the car doesn't seem too intrusive at all. I'm a tad nervous about the CANbus interface, but I don't know enough about CANbus as I only use device to read from it. I don't know if this product is injecting anything into the CANbus, that's just a small yellow flag for me. And plus, that would really get Tesla's attention if they were selling a product that did that, right?

Edit: Hey look, my thread: NavTool Integration

Edit2: I think this person works for them: almans - but again, he did not seem remotely helpful.

Some of my friend in HK had contacted them but got some general/official answer that such product will be available soon, and no more details about when. Asked if there is any demo pic , video clip and got zero reply.

All I wanna say is that taping the video format into the Tesla recognized video feed is a hard job (at least to me), we spent quite a lot effort to crack it).

Reactions: Sandman1962