Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hearing about the D just 9 days after taking delivery of P85+ merits a switch!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find these spilt milk threads increasingly tedious and have vowed to stop reading them. Here is how this reads to me "I am well off enough to buy a fully optioned P85+ but now I don't have the very best. Poor me." Sell your new car, order a fully optioned P85D, move on and be happy. I suspect you could and would have paid $150K+ (your net after resale) for a P85D if they had offered it to you originally at that price.

I am driving a P85+ loaner now and it is awesome. Do I want it over the P85? Sure but not enough to spend the money right now. I missed the plus by 6 months but that was my choice. I don't hold Tesla responsible for that.

Exactly. A class action will go nowhere because the terms of the purchase contract have been met. No one has the right to sue Tesla for not getting features that came out AFTER you purchased. The thought is such is ludicrous. What planet do people live on??

Honestly this is what just really pisses me off about today's society. Today everybody expects to the world to revolve around them. "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME". Why can't people just be happy and take responsibility for things and just be happy with what they got? Talk about being self-centered and materialistic. Grow up peoples.

Amen!

People need to stop whining.

Everyone got what they ordered. No matter when they announced the update, or announced the update to the update, someone will have just ordered before then. Sorry, just go with it. The fact that Tesla seems to be working with some people who have orders in but not taken delivery to switch to the D is more than enough customer service on their part, IMO.

I love my P85. But you know what, I like the P85D better. Does Tesla owe me a P85D or something else because I'm an owner? Of course not.

My solution? I ordered a P85D.

EXACTLY. Please people, understand that Tesla is trying to innovate as fast as they can. What is wrong with that? All the whining is a distraction for them. I am trading my S85 for a P85D. I waited until something better than the P85+ came out. Now it has and I am upgrading. If I wait a year and upgrade to a P85D next October, maybe something better will come out the next month... You can't have it both ways as an early adopter.

Give Elon and TM the support they need to quickly innovate. He's a real life Tony Stark. Stop trying to handcuff the man because you didn't time your purchase well.

Last edited:
I am open to start a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against Tesla and I will not be shy to spend several hundred thousands dollars to get justice! Some of you may say " just buy the D if you have extra money to spend, but NO I'd rather spend it against Tesla for playing people around!

If anyone is interested in CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT please contact me at montauto at gmail
So you are proposing to spend a pile of money to enrich some lawyers, punish Tesla, and get what, exactly, for the other class members?

The only people who win in 99% of class action lawsuit are the lawyers. Class members get a penny or two on the dollar.

Nice to know that whiny little brats cut across all socio-economic levels.

LOL at class action lawsuit. Please have your lawyer(s) look over your contract(s) with Tesla and get advice before rallying the troops.

I'll give you a hint: you aren't going to like what they will tell you.

Of course, you can always find a lawyer that will take your money no matter what the chances in court.

I was referring to the class action thing as the dumbest thing I've ever heard, not people's surprise at the AWD S.... which should have been no surprise at all anyway.
I think we all knew your intent. No worries... :biggrin:

We have a word for people like you. Forum rules do not allow me to write it out for you see.

Honestly this is what just really pisses me off about today's society. Today everybody expects to the world to revolve around them. "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME". Why can't people just be happy and take responsibility for things and just be happy with what they got? Talk about being self-centered and materialistic. Grow up peoples.

Nice to know that whiny little brats cut across all socio-economic levels.

Every once in a while you read a thread that just makes you smile. As ridiculous as this one started, I've been really enjoying where it's gone!

I am open to start a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against Tesla and I will not be shy to spend several hundred thousands dollars to get justice! Some of you may say " just buy the D if you have extra money to spend, but NO I'd rather spend it against Tesla for playing people around!
:rolleyes: You have GOT to be kidding. This is a joke, right? Or are you really this obtuse?

- - - Updated - - -

How very sad, petty, and vindictive.
Truth. Holy cow.

Also truth.

I took delivery on May 29th of this year. The AWD and Autopilot announcements don't make me love my S85 any less, despite the fact that I could have had the same configuration as I have now plus Autopilot for the same price (don't need AWD). I'm still gonna drive it for 8-10 years because it is still the best car I've ever owned. And in 8-10 years when I get another Tesla, it'll be 8-10 years worth of new technology better.

- - - Updated - - -

You will be eaten alive here by the "fanboys" and "investors" who do not understand the meaning of "satisfied customer" and the purpose of customer service. I agree with you 100% btw, but it is a lost clause to argue here. Let's stay in touch outside this forum.
Or by reasonable, even-keeled owners who understand just how profoundly idiotic it would be to attempt such a lawsuit.

- - - Updated - - -

So, let me get this straight. You are threatening to file a lawsuit not only on your behalf but on the behalf of others claiming that you got exactly what you ordered and paid for and nothing more?

LOL
I doubt most lawyers would even take this case. Well, maybe that 1 guy in Wisconsin...

I think that as with most things the reality lies in between the two extreme points of view expressed in this thread.

This observation has been made a few times in this thread and some of the others, but this problem has its root in the fact that unlike "other" car makers, Tesla does not have a model-year cycle for the Model S. It's reasonable to expect that there will be improvements and changes from model year to model year. A buyer contemplating a car purchase in the spring or summer has the ability to buy the current model or choose to wait for the next year. Sometimes this works well, sometimes it backfires. But it's a customary choice.

By having uninterrupted production, and making changes in more or less real time, Tesla ends up with some people who feel like they got "caught" inadvertently buying the tail end of an outgoing model year that they didn't know was outgoing. It's not as simple as saying "you got exactly what you paid for" because while true, that's not the root of the complaint.

On the other hand, under the current business model, Tesla can't announce these changes in advance because that will chill orders which is one of the primary variables pushing the expectations that are pushing the stock price.

Because Tesla clearly doesn't and has never subscribed to a model year approach, there really isn't a lawsuit option here. Sure you can find somebody to sue Tesla but there's no viable legal claim. But you have to feel some sympathy for the people whose orders got accelerated into the pre-D window, or for people who took delivery just a week or two before the changeover. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla do something as a customer relations gesture, whether in the form of enhanced trade-in value or some other more sophisticated policy.

I call BS on you not being "shy to spend several hundred thousands to get justice". If that's the case, you don't need a class action suit. Hire a lawyer with your money and start the action yourself. If you win then you will set a precedent for others. There's no reason for a class action when you are willing to fund the action yourself. But something tells me you are better at blowing smoke than taking action.

You will be eaten alive here by the "fanboys" and "investors" who do not understand the meaning of "satisfied customer" and the purpose of customer service. I agree with you 100% btw, but it is a lost clause to argue here. Let's stay in touch outside this forum.

I could probably be considered a fanboy since I do really like the company but at the same time I have criticized Tesla on a number of issues (just as I have with my Vancouver Canucks but I am still a fan of them). I'm also an investor but I'm not that ignorant to think that this issue has any measurable effect on the price of the stock. Finally, I fully understand the meaning of a "satisfied customer" but at the same time I know that it's impossible for any high tech company to keep all of its customers satisfied given the rapid pace of changing technology.

My question for you is: Do you think that someone can disagree with you on this issue based on the merits without there being an ulterior motive?

As a current customer service rep at a different company, it astounds me that customer service nowadays is judged more on "the customer getting what they want" rather than "is this a fair offer/compromise". Saying that Tesla is failing at customer service because you are upset (and possibly unreasonably) is rather short sighted...

As a current customer service rep at a different company, it astounds me that customer service nowadays is judged more on "the customer getting what they want" rather than "is this a fair offer/compromise". Saying that Tesla is failing at customer service because you are upset (and possibly unreasonably) is rather short sighted...

This. I blame the whole 'the customer is always right' of the past. Great approach for training folks,but customers who believe that are nightmares to deal with. I've had customers return obviously smashed tech equipment with the expectation that we would replace it because 'it's broken, obviously'.

The relationship with a customer and manufacturer is a two-way street. Communication by both is key. I see plenty of people demanding things, but I see very few considering that perhaps they are in the wrong. My personal experience has always been that if I'm reasonable, the company (whatever company) will be, too. That's generally worked well for me. Assume good intent on both sides and things seem to work out every time.

I call BS on you not being "shy to spend several hundred thousands to get justice". If that's the case, you don't need a class action suit. Hire a lawyer with your money and start the action yourself. If you win then you will set a precedent for others. There's no reason for a class action when you are willing to fund the action yourself. But something tells me you are better at blowing smoke than taking action.

There are indeed other reasons to do a class action other than how the legal fees are paid. While I think there's no merit to sue in this situation. I can clearly see that the poster threatening a suit wishes to change Tesla's behavior, not simply for himself but for all effected parties. But you're probably right and they'll actually do nothing.