Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I LOVED my heated steering wheel in the Maxima. But that was before I had remote start. Given the "remote start" in the Model S, I don't consider it terribly important BUT it seems cheap and easy to add and I think a great selling point.

It's too cold at 10F for remote heating to warm up the wheel enough even at 10 minutes to go without gloves. I bought capacitive/ iPhone gloves as I doubt the people living in Palo Alto plan on giving us heated steering wheels on the Sigs.

Later iterations will get heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, and blind spot warnings. These are the minor inconveniences of early adopters.

Ok, I have a question. Since you plug your car in at night, don't you guys have a garage? I always assumed that the EV market was limited to people with a garage but if you're worried about a heated steering wheel in 0 degree weather, are you parking on the street?
I have private, off-street parking, but it's not an enclosed space. Building anything here requires zoning board approvals; I would rather have toothpicks driven under my fingernails than endure that ordeal.

Nissan was smart to include a heated steering wheel in the Leaf cold weather package. That alone makes me want to buy one to complement the Volt (without heated steering wheel), instead of saving that money for a Model S purchase (still without heated steering wheel).

Oh well, our winter was so mild this year it really was not needed. Never the less, I *really* would like to see heated steering wheels on the CY2013 Model S.

GSP

Nissan was smart to include a heated steering wheel in the Leaf cold weather package. That alone makes me want to buy one to complement the Volt (without heated steering wheel), instead of saving that money for a Model S purchase (still without heated steering wheel).

Yup, my wife positively loves the heated Leaf steering wheel. If the Model S comes without it, I'll have a hard time convincing her we should get one...

The Leaf also heats the steering wheel when pre-heating.

I have friends who own the Leaf, a 7 series BMW and a Dodge pick-up truck. Each of these have a heated steering wheel. While I've never owned a vehicle that has one, I'm envious of those who do. I live in Manitoba, Canada. Winter can be long and severe. I have heated seats in my converted Miata and wish the steering wheel were heated as well.

I will be disappointed if the S does not include a heated wheel with the heated leather seat option.

Rob

It sounds that Tesla Motors should offer a "Cold Weather" package which offers a heated steering wheel, heated at rear seats and other cold climate features.

+100 to that!

I live in Montreal, and while this year was unusually mild, winter here is no joke, to the point that although I want the performance S, I may pass given that the 21' tires will potentially be of limited use / unsafe due to low temperature for a good part of the year. I am hoping Tesla will allow a switch for a set of 19' winters (which are required by law in Quebec).

I agree that a heated steering wheel would be great as an option.

Another thing I really loved in my Subaru Legacy were the dedicated windshield wiper defrosters (at the base of the windshield), which turned on along with the rear defrosters. A small detail that made a huge difference when the entire windshield was covered with a sheet of ice, and the blades were encased within.

JP

In the old country, when I was growing up, we blessed our cars with these beauties...
41czI15j7OL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Auto Expressions 381106-35-01AX Grey Sheepskin Steering Wheel Cover: Automotive

Now wouldn't that be stylish? :smile:

I live in Montreal, and while this year was unusually mild, winter here is no joke, to the point that although I want the performance S, I may pass given that the 21' tires will potentially be of limited use / unsafe due to low temperature for a good part of the year.

Not a bad idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they offer an AWD Model S late next year, which would be another reason to wait.

I have private, off-street parking, but it's not an enclosed space. Building anything here requires zoning board approvals; I would rather have toothpicks driven under my fingernails than endure that ordeal.

But would you have toothpicks driven under your fingernails for the noble cause of encouraging zoning to allow outlets for electric cars as a matter of course? :wink: Other people have spent literally years fighting to get blanket approvals for rooftop solar, for instance.... yeah, I'm not that masochistic either. :tongue: