TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Heated Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by tnawara, Mar 29, 2012.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I LOVED my heated steering wheel in the Maxima. But that was before I had remote start. Given the "remote start" in the Model S, I don't consider it terribly important BUT it seems cheap and easy to add and I think a great selling point.

2. William13

William13 Active Member

It's too cold at 10F for remote heating to warm up the wheel enough even at 10 minutes to go without gloves. I bought capacitive/ iPhone gloves as I doubt the people living in Palo Alto plan on giving us heated steering wheels on the Sigs.

Later iterations will get heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, and blind spot warnings. These are the minor inconveniences of early adopters.

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I have private, off-street parking, but it's not an enclosed space. Building anything here requires zoning board approvals; I would rather have toothpicks driven under my fingernails than endure that ordeal.

4. GSP

GSP Member

Nissan was smart to include a heated steering wheel in the Leaf cold weather package. That alone makes me want to buy one to complement the Volt (without heated steering wheel), instead of saving that money for a Model S purchase (still without heated steering wheel).

Oh well, our winter was so mild this year it really was not needed. Never the less, I *really* would like to see heated steering wheels on the CY2013 Model S.

GSP

5. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Yup, my wife positively loves the heated Leaf steering wheel. If the Model S comes without it, I'll have a hard time convincing her we should get one...

The Leaf also heats the steering wheel when pre-heating.

6. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Lol....but on a serious note. I think the heater for the car would be able to warm the interior enough without needing a steering wheel heater. Again, cool feature but not a must have.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

However, the cabin heater uses quite a bit of energy compared to the steering wheel heater.

8. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

If energy consumption is the concern then I say it's a go.

9. RKM

RKM Member

I have friends who own the Leaf, a 7 series BMW and a Dodge pick-up truck. Each of these have a heated steering wheel. While I've never owned a vehicle that has one, I'm envious of those who do. I live in Manitoba, Canada. Winter can be long and severe. I have heated seats in my converted Miata and wish the steering wheel were heated as well.

I will be disappointed if the S does not include a heated wheel with the heated leather seat option.

Rob

10. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

It sounds that Tesla Motors should offer a "Cold Weather" package which offers a heated steering wheel, heated at rear seats and other cold climate features.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

+1 :smile:

12. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

+100 to that!

I live in Montreal, and while this year was unusually mild, winter here is no joke, to the point that although I want the performance S, I may pass given that the 21' tires will potentially be of limited use / unsafe due to low temperature for a good part of the year. I am hoping Tesla will allow a switch for a set of 19' winters (which are required by law in Quebec).

I agree that a heated steering wheel would be great as an option.

Another thing I really loved in my Subaru Legacy were the dedicated windshield wiper defrosters (at the base of the windshield), which turned on along with the rear defrosters. A small detail that made a huge difference when the entire windshield was covered with a sheet of ice, and the blades were encased within.

JP

13. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018

14. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Can the remote cabin pre-heating also engage the steering wheel and/or seat heaters?

15. onlinespending

Not a bad idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they offer an AWD Model S late next year, which would be another reason to wait.

16. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

The steering wheel is black. Leave it out in the sun, it's gonna be heated. :wink:

Now, a COOLED steering wheel, that would be nifty...

17. neroden

But would you have toothpicks driven under your fingernails for the noble cause of encouraging zoning to allow outlets for electric cars as a matter of course? :wink: Other people have spent literally years fighting to get blanket approvals for rooftop solar, for instance.... yeah, I'm not that masochistic either. :tongue:

18. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

19. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I won't need zoning clearance to add an outside plug; it'll have to be to code and be inspected, of course, but no permit required.

20. neroden

Ah, excellent.