Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Decide Between Long Range and Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar issue:

A) new LR AWD for 48k
B) used M3P with FSD but over 50k miles for what I may offer at 46k..

I have bought cars before and "settled" and it was always a regret.

Do it once, do it right. Have always had a fast toy and a daily, now i just have a daily so the one vehicle i drive must do both. Therefore I feel I may be buying the M3P used which is the 'dumber financial move' but I wont have the regret of "settling" every day i drive

I will say... for me... if cost was the limiting factor...

I would get the new LR and add AB over a P w/50k miles. Why?

warranty and battery fatigue/degradation. Plus the new ones come with chrome delete which I prefer. If I could get a 2020 or 2019 with less that 20k miles then I’d consider it, but 50k is a fair amount for a used car when you can get 90% of that car, in new condition, for the same price.

My opinion. Not saying I’m right or wrong. And I do see the allure of the P (I mean... I bought one). But especially if finances were the limiting factor, then I’m also probably buying with a loan, and used car rates are ALWAYS higher to boot.

Reactions: Apprunner
The new car has enough improvements that makes the used M3P not as valuable. A used M3P with 50k miles just isn’t worth $46k unless you really want FSD. The real comparison then should be $58k LR with FSD or $46k M3P with FSD. If FSD isn’t that important to you, should really get a $40k M3P.

I will say... for me... if cost was the limiting factor...

I would get the new LR and add AB over a P w/50k miles. Why?

warranty and battery fatigue/degradation. Plus the new ones come with chrome delete which I prefer. If I could get a 2020 or 2019 with less that 20k miles then I’d consider it, but 50k is a fair amount for a used car when you can get 90% of that car, in new condition, for the same price.

My opinion. Not saying I’m right or wrong. And I do see the allure of the P (I mean... I bought one). But especially if finances were the limiting factor, then I’m also probably buying with a loan, and used car rates are ALWAYS higher to boot.
Agree with this. LR AWD w/AB comes close enough to a P that I would just save the $8K. I personally also think FSD is overpriced until the beta rolls out to more people. And even then I might wait for the subscription.

I test drove the 2021 M3P and LR AWD back to back a couple weeks ago. I think what many people commenting here about LR performance characteristics may not realize is the improvements that Tesla has made with the recent updates. I loved the P, but the LR was blisteringly and surprisingly quick -- even without AB. The difference was close enough that I went with the LR with sport wheels. (I don't like 20+ inch wheels anyway).

Also, people comment that the only difference in terms of range is the tires and wheels. Not true -- the rear motor is different, and the P is optimized towards power delivery instead of range. To me, the extra range does matter as I go on road trips more often than track days. If I found myself paying for track days at least once a year, I would have gone P.

I did opt for FSD as a way to fund, and hopefully experience, some really cool new tech. I didn't get FSD on my '17 MS, because I knew it was too far out into the future, but it looks like we'll actually be able to experience it this year.

FSD is an upgrade on my 3 I likely won’t use or need. If I want it that bad I’ll buy it. For now, autopilot is more than enough. The 980 and brakes is what I wanted. I changed the boat anchor 32lbs Ubers within the month. My 2021 P is absurd fast. Dropping 11lbs a corner made it every faster. Going from 7.9” contact to 8.8” contact negated 99% of the difference from mediocre summers to the hands down best all seasons. Thing corners nasty.

I am in the market for a new car since trade in values are little higher than usual and tesla offered me what I would consider fair for my '19 Camaro 2SS.

Today I test drove a model 3 long range because they didn't have a performance version at the store. I liked everything about that long range version. Ride, handling, features etc. But I wasn't really sold on it. Coming from a 455hp car with 0-60 4sec it just didn't feel any faster than my camaro. However this is all based off my butt dyno.

After coming back to store they let me test drive a Model Y performance version and long story short I can tell I am very sold on it. Also, I know that Model 3 performance will be even faster than Model Y performance.

So here is my question: is Model 3 performance actually worth it? There is like $10k difference ($48k vs $58k) between LR vs P. Do you guys think Performance is $10k better than Long Range?

I mean I would enjoy taking mustangs, challengers, chargers to gapplebess but trading off 40 miles range and paying that extra money make me think about it.

Also I was told performance version's real world mileage is less than advertised 315 miles. Is this correct? Could anyone give me their inputs about real world ranges on both performance and long range versions? This will be my daily driver in Ohio. So the car will definitely will see sub 32degress and snow.
I was torn as well but I would almost feel like just getting the S if I were to pay for a performance 3. It's a whole other car in another tier of amazigness for like 25k more or so? What's another couple hundred bucks a month...

My feelings are more along the lines of the performance feel wearing off eventually and that money spent for things I don't care about. Like the bigger wheels. I don't want them. I like all the other stuff but the big wheels is the first thing I'd want to get rid of then I need to figure out tires as well because summer tires suck most of the year around and wear very quickly.

So for me, the performance upgrades comes with extra hassle I don't want. But still, it's very tempting. And the idea that I can upgrade to a 3.7 0-60 software wise feels ridiculous. Not doing that.

I've yet to see the new S, as has anyone really. I like the idea of the S better overall and the trunk space is much better.

But if you want bigger wheels and performance tires, maybe it all makes sense. I just want the speed but not at the sacrifice of range and more flat prone tires.

You can get after market wheels. The range Difference is actually entirely from less aerodynamic wheels. Check out the long range with stock vs the wheel upgrade. Range drops like 20-30 miles.

If you can easily afford the performance, you can easily afford new wheels/tires.

my 19x9 forgestar were 1400... tires 1000...

If you really can’t swing another 2400, from a fiscal standpoint, you shouldn’t be considering a 60k car. Look elsewhere. Not trying to offend; but given how good the LR is... if you 60k is barely in reach but 63 isn’t... get the LR and decide on Acceleration boost later

Reactions: Arctic_White
Most people who get the LR+boost because they feel it's close enough definitely made the right choice for themselves. If you think a 3.7 and a 3.1 to 60 car are the same, then you probably think a 12.3 and 11.3 car are about the same, and a 10.9 and 10.2 car are about the same. If thats you, get the LR, you'll be happy. If you know why those cars are not "close enough" then you get the P.

You may discover that you don't really need the 3.7 and never buy the performance boost.
I’m a grandfather. When I drive my wife’s Model 3 Stealth Performance - delivered without any Dual Motor trunk lid badge - I appreciate every msec of that 3.1 second 0-60. I don’t indulge at every opportunity, but it never gets old.

I travel long distances and want as much mileage per charge that I can get.
We have an S100D I configured as road trip car. Not Performance. We occasionally take my wife’s Stealth 3 Performance on road trips.

I’m happier with the S for trips. Smooth ride with air suspension and longer wheelbase. Far more capacity. More efficient above 70 mph thanks to front motor gear ratio and air suspension lowering.

This century’s version of, “Grandpa’s Buick (Grand National)!”

Reactions: Phlier
FWIW- from 0-~120 mph (roughly what the P traps in the 1/4 mile) none of them beat a P

Heck I don't think any will even beat a LR AWD+ (with boost).

Those are all 12.something second cars AFAIK, both Teslas run in the 11s.

(disclaimer- for the Mustang I'm going with the "normal" V8... the can-be-optioned-to-$100,000 newer GT500 will indeed crush any Model 3 in the 1/4)

Tesla is so far ahead (aka fast) from 0 - 60 that it still wins the overall quarter-mile race until 120 mph despite the other vehicles being much quicker than Tesla from 60 to 120 mph.

As @holmgang had stated, Tesla Model 3 P is nowhere near as fast from 60 to 120 mph as other 400+ hp cars (Camaro, Mustang, M2, etc.). I speak from experience as my previous car was a 2SS 1LE.

Tesla is so far ahead (aka fast) from 0 - 60 that it still wins the overall quarter-mile race until 120 mph despite the other vehicles being much quicker than Tesla from 60 to 120 mph.

As @holmgang had stated, Tesla Model 3 P is nowhere near as fast from 60 to 120 mph as other 400+ hp cars (Camaro, Mustang, M2, etc.). I speak from experience as my previous car was a 2SS 1LE.

But we know, for a fact, this is simply not true.

The 3P for example takes about 3 seconds flat 0-60, and about 11.35 in the 1/4 mile, just shy of 120 (~118.5 mph).

Meaning 60-118.5 is ~8.35 seconds.

For a camaro SS this says:

4.1 0-60, and [email protected] in the 1/4 mile

Meaning it took the Camaro 8.3 seconds to go 60-115.8

The Tesla, 0.05 seconds later, is going almost 3 mph faster than the camaro.

As for the M2-

0-60 in 3.9, 1/4 mile in 12.4@114 manual, 0-60 in 4, 1/4 mile in 12.4@116 automatic.

Either way, you're talking either 8.3 or 8.4 seconds to get to 2.5 mph slower than the Tesla at end of the 1/4 when removing the 0-60 time- so
no, that's ALSO not faster, let alone much faster, 60-120 than the Tesla.

The mustang does a touch better, using the #s from testing here:

0-60 in 3.9
1/4 mile in [email protected]

So 60-118.8 takes 8.2 seconds... a "massive" 0.15 seconds quicker than the Tesla does roughly the same.

Putting the Tesla basically ahead of 2 of the 3 cars 60-120 you claimed it was "nowhere near" as fast as, and only 0.15 seconds behind the third.

The 3P for example takes about 3 seconds flat 0-60, and about 11.35 in the 1/4 mile, just shy of 120 (~118.5 mph).

As for the M2-

0-60 in 3.9, 1/4 mile in 12.4@114 manual, 0-60 in 4, 1/4 mile in 12.4@116 automatic.

Either way, you're talking either 8.3 or 8.4 seconds to get to 2.5 mph slower than the Tesla at end of the 1/4 when removing the 0-60 time- so

0-60 in 3.9

So 60-118.8 takes 8.2 seconds... a "massive" 0.15 seconds quicker than the Tesla does roughly the same.

Putting the Tesla basically ahead of 2 of the 3 cars 60-120 you claimed it was "nowhere near" as fast as, and only 0.15 seconds behind the third.
Or as my 13 year old daughter put it the other day, as we were taking an interstate on ramp, "Haha! Electrons go brrrrr!"

As for the M2-

0-60 in 3.9

every highway roll of a mustang 5L or Camaro SS stock I see on YouTube has the Performance 3 walk away until 115mph. Then the big V8s start catching up fast. I don’t hit triple that often but that 60-100mph pill is pretty hard.
The Model 3 will get gapped pretty good on the Autobahn but in any other highway, it has really good Performance before “go to jail” speeds

As for the M2-

0-60 in 3.9

I thought the m3p was an 11.6-11.8 quarter mile (shows how little i research), do you have stats for M3 LR with AB for quarter mile, 0-60 and 60-115ish mph?