Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Decide Between Long Range and Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the m3p was an 11.6-11.8 quarter mile (shows how little i research), do you have stats for M3 LR with AB for quarter mile, 0-60 and 60-115ish mph?
I've seen a few YouTube videos (which are a notoriously horrible source for stats like this) that have shown LR AWD with AB run lower 12's, but again... YouTube videos, so yeah.

Here's one that a member just posted that went 11.95 @115.6 vs a new Mach1-

I thought the LR with AB was within 0.3 seconds of the M3P of quarter mile. Maybe there is more of a gap now due to different rear motors?

• When I totaled my wife's TM3 AWD (I hit a curb and sufficiently gooned the suspension for my insurance to total it), we were torn between replacing it or upgrading to the Performance. In the end, we got another AWD with stock aero wheels and:

Bought a new set of 19" aftermarket rims and​
  • high performance 245/40 R19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires ($2,000)​

• Bought the speed boost ($2,000)​

• Installed a carbon fiber spoiler ($300)​

• Installed wheel spacers, 15mm front and 20mm aft ($250)​

• Installed red brake covers, ($250)​

So, for under $5,000 more than the AWD, we get:

• similar summer compound yet wider tires than the Performance's; they both look better and also protect the​

• stronger, lighter, (subjectively) better looking aftermarket 19" rims, which are better suited for our pothole-rich area of town​

• a 1" higher suspension, again, better for our steep driveway departure, many speed bumps on our street, and all the potholes​

• smaller brakes, for better efficiency (we'll never track this car)​

• a spare/aero set of wheels and tires, for long distance road trips or as full size spares​

• a car that is visually very close to a Performance (true aficionados would notice the brake covers, the glossy carbon fiber spoiler, and the lack of underline in the Dual Motor badge; the wheels are not a good indicator, as many people replace wheels)​

• a car that is imperceptibly (to me) slower than the Performance
    20210306_151821.jpg

I thought the m3p was an 11.6-11.8 quarter mile (shows how little i research), do you have stats for M3 LR with AB for quarter mile, 0-60 and 60-115ish mph?

[email protected] is the best 3P result I see on Draggy right now (Stanley from Glen Falls NY)

[email protected] is next (that's our own Magnus Mako, and while his car is listed as an AWD+ (LR with AB), it has the 3rd party ghost module on it which turns it into a P)

Next one is [email protected] from Cig in Australia

So those #s for the P are pretty well documented as your best ofs.

For AWD+ it's a bit tougher as they only list the 100 quickest under all-time and include S/X so there's nothing that's for-sure LR AWD+ by then (#100 on list is 11.6... my comparo spreadsheet shows an [email protected] for LR AWD+ which would've been from a forum member but was compiled about a year ago so I'd expect quicker times to have been had by now.

For example here's an [email protected].... one of the comments is from someone who claims they ran an 11.79 in one too.

Anyway, doing the math here, assuming ~3.5 0-60 with rollout for the AWD+, we get 8.3 (well, 8.313) seconds to get from 60 to 119.27.

Almost identical to the P.

Reinforcing the fact virtually all the difference between the AWD+ and P happens below 60.

And BOTH will beat all these 400 HP ICE cars people keep mentioning all the way up to around 120.

(The Teslas will absolutely start losing after that... but the idea they're losing on 60-120 runs, let alone badly, is unsupported by the evidence (and for it to even really be close relies on perfect gear operation by the computer or human controlling the ICE vehicles transmission)

I thought the LR with AB was within 0.3 seconds of the M3P of quarter mile. Maybe there is more of a gap now due to different rear motors?

See above- It's roughly a 0.5 difference 0-60, and roughly the same at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Maybe initially. M3P has had a couple bumps in power since it was first released. It’s more like 11.3-11.5 now.

When I search model 3 1/4 mile on YouTube and check about the top 20 videos, they are all showing 11.5 to 11.7 times for the M3P. Brooks from Drag Times has run his many times and even up until recently, I think his best time was an 11.6. I saw one video (which I now can't seem to find) where one was running faster than 11.5 but then when they showed the car, it had the rear seats ripped out, headliner gone, etc.

Mike

When I search model 3 1/4 mile on YouTube and check about the top 20 videos, they are all showing 11.5 to 11.7 times for the M3P. Brooks from Drag Times has run his many times and even up until recently, I think his best time was an 11.6. I saw one video (which I now can't seem to find) where one was running faster than 11.5 but then when they showed the car, it had the rear seats ripped out, headliner gone, etc.

Mike

Seems likely the older videos would have more views/likes, so would be slower times.

Again check draggy, the leaderboard there was quite a few Ps quicker than 11.5

Or hell here's a thread right from this board-

Bunch of posts and timeslips showing 11.3x-11.4x from a P, with traps in the 118.xx range.

Reactions: Phlier

Mike
I'm not speaking from internet research; I'm speaking from experience.

My car ran a very low 11.5 bone stock (ie no pulling of interior, swapping to lightweight rims/tries, or any such "mods"). No question in my mind it would have been a 11.4x with an SoC closer to 100% (SoC was low 90s), warmer weather, and me eating a few less burritos. :D

@B-Razz in a sister car (blue/black '20 M3P) has gone faster than me.

Maybe this just means blue/black '20 M3Ps are the fastest. ;):p

• Funny
Reactions: Arctic_White
Seems likely the older videos would have more views/likes, so would be slower times.

Again check draggy, the leaderboard there was quite a few Ps quicker than 11.5

Or hell here's a thread right from this board-

Bunch of posts and timeslips showing 11.3x-11.4x from a P, with traps in the 118.xx range.

Compared to the M3P, the LR+boost only has a fraction of the number of 1/4 mile videos, but here's a LR+boost that ran 11.700:

It still seems to be within .3 to .4 when compared to the M3P, particularly when you consider there aren't hundreds of LR+boost videos to browse through and find ringers that ran under perfect conditions on "faster" tracks. I'll be taking my LR+boost to the dragstrip in about a month so I'll see what I can get.

Mike

every highway roll of a mustang 5L or Camaro SS stock I see on YouTube has the Performance 3 walk away until 115mph. Then the big V8s start catching up fast. I don’t hit triple that often but that 60-100mph pill is pretty hard.
The Model 3 will get gapped pretty good on the Autobahn but in any other highway, it has really good Performance before “go to jail” speeds
LMAO @ go to jail speeds

Personally, I'm just excited for the relevant performance that is within legal limits. I don't drive on a track.

View attachment 659071

I took delivery yesterday! It was sad to see my baby go but after driving the Tesla home I didn’t feel any buyers remorse for getting LR. It feels fast enough I may not even buy the acceleration boost.

That's a beautiful sight: two American icons side by side. You'll love the Model 3. And yeah, you will... you'll get the AB. ;) You're probably like me and coming from a muscle car, it'll eat at you. You'll think: you already paid $47k. What's $2k more? It'll eat at you that there are 2021 LR Model 3's that are faster than you. :D

Mike

So about 15 minutes after I took delivery I had a tpms error. Front right tire shows no data. I remember reading Tesla installing wrong non Bluetooth kind tpms sensor on the cars.

do you guys think I got one of those? I know I have to schedule for a service but they are too damn far lol. I don’t know if there is a reset or something I can do myself.