Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide Stealth vs P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a call from my SA just now and they have a stealth for me that is the same colors as the Performance that I ordered back in October. Both would have about the same delivery dates (stealth may come in a little sooner).

So should I jump on it and save $6000 and forego:
1. performance brakes (which i wont be on the track ever but they look cool)
2. Spoiler (could always add one)
3. new 20" grey rims (Kinda wanted black anyways) but they would handle better than the 18's
4. lowering springs (could always do this later)
5. what am I missing?

Should I jump on this? I need to decide today!

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
I got a call from my SA just now and they have a stealth for me that is the same colors as the Performance that I ordered back in October. Both would have about the same delivery dates (stealth may come in a little sooner).

Are looks (and higher replacement brake costs in the future if you ever need em) worth $6000?

3. new 20" grey rims (Kinda wanted black anyways) but they would handle better than the 18's

They'd only handle better because the OEM tire on the 20s is better. Otherwise they'll be heavier and less efficient.

You can easily put better tires on the 18s, you can't make the 20" rims any lighter or less prone to pothole damage.

I mean...barely, but yeah. 0.39 inch difference.

5. what am I missing?

The current P3D-, at only 2k more than the AWD, is the best version of the car ever offered IMHO.

It was $11,000 more originally. (later retroactively made "only" $6000 more with the FUSC refund)

Reactions: ZappCatt

5. what am I missing?

I have a P3D+ and I would get the Stealth. It will be more efficient and any issues with brake fade (not an issue for you) or handling (due to tires) can be addressed aftermarket for considerably less money. You can also drive it in freezing conditions without requiring a second set of wheels.

I got the P3D+ because at the time it was the only way to get Track Mode. Not the case anymore. I also live in San Diego so those cold issues are less of a concern. But I had to buy a second set of wheels.

I’d say it depends. I really like the spoiler and it’s the only one I’d put on my car. The aftermarket ones just don’t do it for me at all. (And yes, mine fit perfectly from the factory).

Second, brake feel is better with the Brembos, though stopping power is identical on the street. On the track is a different story.

Third, handling is likely slightly improved due to a slightly lower setup, and from what I’ve read there are beefier sway bars on the 3P+, too.

The aluminum pedals are not the same as aftermarket snap-ons, but since at the end of the day they all accomplish the same thing I wouldn’t factor these into it.

The Aeros are hideous. I know this is just an opinion (what isn’t?) but I can’t bear them. So for me it would have been buying another set of wheels and tires immediately. I really love the 20s + red Brembos. They look amazing. I love that my car also doesn’t look like pretty much every other Model 3 out there, while simultaneously not being “out there” in terms of styling.

Anyway, there is no wrong answer. If you can afford the 3P+ and 20s won’t get murdered on your roads, go for it. Otherwise, 3P- is a fine choice bearing in mind the downgrades there.

Reactions: dc121gw

5. what am I missing?

You might check insurance difference too. The Stealth VIN is basically an AWD. The + is a Performance.
Note that you should not drive on 20" tires below freezing.

Do you want to race it? If so then go with the stealth and upgrade aftermarket. (and deal with the hassle of upgrading)

Do you not want to race it and just want a turnkey sporty solution? Go with P.
I don’t think that’s true, is it? I could have sworn that may people have said that there’s no VIN differentiation between LR AWD and Performance VINs. Someone else can chime in here.
Stealth and P have same coding. IDK about the Vin itself, but they are the same car for insurance purposes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Elle_H2
Go to tesla.com and click on the Model 3 tab. Boom. What do you see? I see the Model 3 Performance how Tesla intended it to be. Other than the hidden comparison chart, nowhere does Tesla advertise the fugly 18's on the site.

I'm too lazy for aftermarket, but yeah, the cheap performance is fine too if you actually do aftermarket.

• Disagree
Reactions: ZappCatt
For Texas weather the P3D+ is perfect.
If spirited driving matters more, which includes more than just straight line acceleration...P3D+.
Also, there may be regret if you went with the stealth when you can afford the +.

However, if saving the money matters more, especially if you live in a region where it snows, then the stealth is the better value.
One other factor, if you want to upgrade with aftermarket, the stealth is the better platform to start with. For me I wanted to get my car and drive it... keeping it out of the shop/garage as much as possible.

I have a P3D+ in Michigan. So I had to set my vehicle up with winter tires for the season.
That cost me around 1700 total because I elected to go with smaller 18 inch wheels and new tires, which has its advantages... Namely the cheaper cost for the 18 inch winter ties (rather than 20s), convenience and cheaper cost to switch back and forth between wheels, and higher side walls on the 18s which is safer for pot holes and things hidden in the snow.

All arguments for and against are valid... personally I like the +.

Efficiency is probably the biggest real world factor. it isn't an issue for me personally, since i don't do much long distance highway driving, When i do, an extra few minutes of charge isn't that big a deal.

The P+ looks way better IMO. 2 other 3's in my lot at work, and the P+ just sits nicer on the larger wheels and lower suspension and the red calipers just adds a subtle pop of color. the difference is small, but the wheel gap is real.

All arguments for and against are valid... personally I like the +.

Efficiency is probably the biggest real world factor. it isn't an issue for me personally, since i don't do much long distance highway driving, When i do, an extra few minutes of charge isn't that big a deal.

The P+ looks way better IMO. 2 other 3's in my lot at work, and the P+ just sits nicer on the larger wheels and lower suspension and the red calipers just adds a subtle pop of color. the difference is small, but the wheel gap is real.
It's 5mm lower aka .5 cm lower. (hardly noticeable)
Biggest difference is the brake color and spoiler which stand out, and the consumable tires PS4S come on the P3D+ which are quite nice. The brakes and wheels are actually heavier so the P3D- should accelerate faster. If you ever going to track the car, or just want the red brakes to stand out get the+. With the + or - you might still want aftermarket wheels, and a set of track tires, and some brake mods (at least fluid and pads).

Personally I went for the P3D-, I'm thinking about removing the badge and going P3D stealth. I spent the money saved on light weight, slightly wider forged 19" wheels and PS4S tires. IMO, I like my 19's much more than the stock 20s on the performance, but I do wish I had cooler looking brake (although I don't really have any need for them).

I don’t think that’s true, is it? I could have sworn that may people have said that there’s no VIN differentiation between LR AWD and Performance VINs. Someone else can chime in here.

There is no difference between Stealth Performance and AWD VIN. There is a difference between Performance+ and Performance Stealth.

stealth is an AWD with a software unlock.

Plus is a difference chassis. Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Spoiler, Brake pedals. And a software unlock.