TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

help me out here folks

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by John Surek, Jan 7, 2020.

1. John Surek

John Surek Member

So I went looking for new to me tesla yesterday and found a post refresh 2016 P100d at a non tesla dealer here in Colorado. went I wanted to drive it but the charge was very low. The dealer is just across the highway from the Loveland supercharger, so we took it there and charged it. after the charging session the charging screen showed a balance due and needed to add a new form of payment on file. that struck me as odd. do car loose there free supercharging after being sold now? my first tesla is a 2012 S85 that I bought a few years ago and it has free SC even though I am the second owner.

• Disagree x 1
  2. kingkong5

kingkong5 Member

I believe that if the car had free unlimited supercharging, but was recently returned to Tesla and then resold, Tesla often removes the free unlimited supercharging from it before the resale. Thereafter, it no longer has FUSC.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. John Surek

John Surek Member

that's a tough pill to swallow. not that having no free SC is a deal breaker. its just a nice benny.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Really? I've put over 30,000 miles on my car and have only used about $300 of Supercharging. I charge at home, a much more functional solution.
    Yes, Tesla now removed unlimited Supercharging on used vehicles.

5. Yoitskenn

Yoitskenn Member

Everybody’s needs are different. Kudos to you for charging at home

6. mba83

mba83 Member

+1 most of us don't really need free supercharging, but for those 10% of drivers who use superchargers a lot, it's important.

7. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Frugal But Classy!

3 years of ownership between the S, 3 & now X...I've used less than a couple hundred dollars worth of SC. When I had it for free (S), it wasn't worth my time to sit there and wait an hour at a SC.

8. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum then. Travel a lot for my company, and need to carry gear that doesn't ship well. In 3.5 years I've probably chewed through $3-4k of supercharging.

9. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

And how much gas would that have been? Are you still saving money?

10. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

I'm a super-special case, because I bought two salvaged Model S's and did a good bit of work myself to bring them back up to 100% condition. When home, they charge 100% from my solar.

But yes, I'm still saving money given the price I paid on those two cars.

11. Need

Need Active Member

If you drive about 15,000 miles a year, and you supercharge every mile, it will be about $1250 per year. Now if you could charge at home, it could go under $600.

12. John Surek

John Surek Member

I drive back and forth to new orleans from fort Collins every month so no free supercharging does have an impact.

• Informative x 1
  13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Did they?
    Because this one still shows free supercharging as an option. In fact, a lot of the P100D’s say they come with free supercharging

2019 Model S | Tesla

14. 303JeffB

303JeffB Member

That is an inventory vehicle, not used...

15. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

No it’s not, it’s a used vehicle with a previous accident.
    Here’s another used model s with free supercharging
    2016 Model S | Tesla

16. kingkong5

kingkong5 Member

Indeed, I think it's not a blanket statement that every car returned to Tesla and resold would have FUSC removed - just that Tesla has been exercising the option to remove it before they resell it, and they have done so on a lot of their used vehicles. I think for the case you bring up above it makes sense for Tesla to leave FUSC on it, as I would think that leaving that option on the car allows them to charge a premium price for that build. P90DL is more premium, but since it's a 2016 I guess that allows them to ask for such a high price, rather than remove it. So I would say for this particular car, they chose not to remove it, perhaps in order to fetch the highest price possible.

17. byeLT4

byeLT4 Member

Any verification this car went back through Tesla before the dealership? There was another thread on this and they are definitely taking FUSC away pertaining to the "life of the car" and I believe a few of the 'new' owners stated it never went back to Tesla.

18. Brando

Brando Active Member

I see SuperCharging policies vary by Model and by date bought.
    Seems every car is different - you can't assume anything. IF important for you, you must verify.
    Do I have to suggest you don't trust a used car sales person? verify yourself

19. Zorg

Zorg Active Member

Seems that Tesla is getting out of the used car business now that it sells enough new ones. So the returns end up on third party lots.

20. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

What makes you say that? Tesla has always wholesaled some of the used inventory. Since the beginning of the used sales program we’ve seen cars be sold off to manheim, mostly high mileage cars.