Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Tesla Peers! Contemplating Trading/Selling 10 Day Old Model 3 AWD for Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because of this I'm under the impression that one can't be TOTALLY happy with the AWD.

Then I guess I’m “that guy”... I have zero - genuinely, zero - desire, want or need for more performance than my LR AWD.

I wouldn’t pay so much as a penny for any more speed. The vehicle is so good, so satisfying to drive as it is .... I don’t need anything else. So happy with it as it sits.

After buying my P3D and driving it for 7K miles, I’ve realized the LR AWD would have been plenty unless you plan on tracking the car. I rarely use all the power. Taking the range hit hurts too. Also keep in mind the 20” tires are summer ONLY as they are not warranted for low temperatures and can actually crack when cold. So you would have to buy new wheels and tires if you want to drive in the winter.

Then I guess I’m “that guy”... I have zero - genuinely, zero - desire, want or need for more performance than my LR AWD.

I wouldn’t pay so much as a penny for any more speed. The vehicle is so good, so satisfying to drive as it is .... I don’t need anything else. So happy with it as it sits.

Add me as another one who is happy with SR+ performance, let alone AWD. All I would wish for is for Tesla to bring back LR-RWD cars and I would buy that as my next Tesla. I am willing to pay for more range instead of an extra motor or 1 second difference in 0-60, since neither will be useful to me.

Reactions: TMThree
What you’re leaving out is the “financial loss” the OP will realize for what? You know the answer.
Remember that the want is totally subjective. What the OP may want, may be way out of range for you, but totally within for him. Diversity is what makes this world interesting.

I fear he will end up taking a huge financial loss and acquire the P3D. I understand him because I waited out for the P3D knowing that if I didn't,
I may seriously regret it.

i got a red/white p3d- about a month ago. that is definitely the way to go.

but if i was in your shoes i'd stick with the awd you already have and hope for a chance to buy the performance unlock in the future.

the $5-10k you are going to lose would come in handy for your next tesla in 2024 :)

Its the "Stealth" performance model. It has the performance acceleration and track mode but none of the cosmetic upgrades (brakes, pedals, spoiler, etc). The cost is 2K versus 6.5K.

Brakes aren’t cosmetic. Neither are the lower suspension and thicker sway bars, or the much grippier tires, And the spoiler is functional. Pedals are cosmetic, though - I’ll give you that. :D

Brakes aren’t cosmetic. Neither are the lower suspension and thicker sway bars, or the much grippier tires, And the spoiler is functional. Pedals are cosmetic, though - I’ll give you that. :D
I was just about to make this same comment. I see comments saying "P3D- is the best buy" but the price difference for everything you get on the P3D is definitely worth it.

Reactions: WilliamG
I was just about to make this same comment. I see comments saying "P3D- is the best buy" but the price difference for everything you get on the P3D is definitely worth it.

No question. It's honestly a bargain to go from the 3P- to the 3P+ IF you want those things (which I did). You couldn't even get close to buying all those upgrades for the price difference - aftermarket.

Remember that the want is totally subjective. What the OP may want, may be way out of range for you, but totally within for him. Diversity is what makes this world interesting.

I fear he will end up taking a huge financial loss and acquire the P3D. I understand him because I waited out for the P3D knowing that if I didn't, I may seriously regret it.

OP stated in his original post,
"I dont want to live with regret but the financial difference...ARGH"

This statement lends me to believe it would be a "financial burden"(?)

Reactions: VQTRVA
The - is great for northeastern folks. The + would be extra money and you would have to buy winter wheels tires. So the - has its place for sure.

Plus there are people here spending 3500 for suspension and summer wheels and also get to keep their 18 inch winter wheels/tires, so i think the + upgrade isn’t worth it.

In case Elvis returns...

Is it possible to get an extended test drive in a P3D, either + or -?

I'd do that, then go back to the AWD, maybe drive it over the same route, and see how big of a difference there is.

It also depends a lot on how you drive. If you floor it away from every stoplight, the P will make a noticeable difference.
But AWD is still faster than nearly every car you'll encounter out there.

I was originally considering a LR RWD, but wasn't ready to purchase, so was waiting.
Then the P3D- came out, for 2k difference, it was a no brainer, and personally, I prefer stealth than the minor bling of the P3D+. Also, better range, arguably comfort, and puncture resistance on the 18" vs the 20" wheels of the P3D+.

We bought a new car last year, (a hybrid) and sold it for the P3D-, lost about $3500 on depreciation, plus our $5k deposit.

Was it worth it? To go from a non Tesla to the P3D-, abso-frickin-lutely. But if I already had an AWD, not sure I'd have the stomach for that loss.

Good luck either way, if you ever return to this thread!