Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - MYP or BMW iX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why on earth would you care about a sub 4 second 0-60 time in a family SUV? Remember it wasn't long ago a sub 6 second 0-60 was considered fast even for performance saloons?

Unless you only care about traffic light GPs it utterly pointless, I can count on one hand the number of times I've done a WOT launch in our 75D X in the last 12 months. So far on our 3000 mile road trip with 6 people on board I can barely used 50% throttle without complaining from 3rd row passengers am driving too fast :).
I'm content with M3LR myself, but plenty of folks choose to by P models, or something more than a 75D. There are loads of people with reservations for the MYP, accept they have different values to yourself and move on.

There are loads of people with reservations for the MYP, accept they have different values to yourself and move on.

Very true, but most people looking at a Y or iX I suspect are because of family requirements.

Tesla actually make great cars that work well for everyone, but to discount a family SUV because it cannot do 0-60 in under 4 seconds isn't even a 'first world problem'. But as you say, buy what makes you happy :).

• Funny
Reactions: DM206433
Yup. The traffic light GP bragging rights are a strong selling point still. Daft as it is, but it's very real.

I suspect the SR Y would be a massive seller here, but Tesla have always come up with excuses to cut the best value cars and push people to the higher margin products.

The X started at £64k in 2016, aluminium construction, far more complexity, a Model Y at £64k is £££££ profit for Elon, which from a business point of view is exactly what Tesla needs to do :).

(Note this is a bit of a ramble)

I just sold my Tesla Model Y Performance (March build with all recent upgrades) in MSM and have a new fully loaded BMW iX50. Owned a Tesla Model X before as well. A few notes on the Model Y:
Tesla pros:
- Infotainment is leagues above the BMW.
- watch videos and other things while charging
- performance is neck snapping
- storage is great. Deep floors and wide opening
- supercharger network. In California we have some of the best infrastructure for charging in the US but it still is bad compared to many parts of Europe. I can fortunately charge at work and home so not a deal breaker but could see it influencing many decisions.
- retains significant resale value. Sold it for essentially what I bought it for after taxes about 3 months after purchasing. Others are getting much more but I wanted a bit more convenience.
- accessories galore. Large ecosystem similar to iPhones where you can find everything.
- fandom means that if you encounter an issue there are large threads probably already created for it.
- mobile service
- buying experience is superb. Took my hold off on a Saturday and was delivered to my driveway the week after. Hate the BMW buying experience! Even though everything was already understood- why can’t I just sign and go? Had to still get the standard upsale, blah blah. Talk to manager, blah blah. Waste of my freakin’ time.
Cons:
- No blind spot detection - side camera video on the main screen is not a fix
- loud boomy sound. Long threads on Tesla Motor Club forums saying others hear the same 40hz drumming
- suspension is very (too) sporty. Great on nice roads but on crappy California streets it is horrific.
- alignment and fit and finish poor
- autopilot needs work. Phantom breaking can cause accidents for sure. Caught on this twice in 3 months.

At the end of the day the BMW is luxurious like a nice watch, the Tesla is technology on wheels like an iPhone. Both are good for different reasons but it depends on your priorities. I like the BMW a bit better due to the fact that the Model Y is the Camry of California. In my Silicon Valley area the Model X is the new mom minivan as well so they are a dime a dozen. The luxury and differentiation is something I would pay for.

Note my comparison is to a much more expensive fully loaded iX50 - $110k, compared to to the OP iX40 (not offered in US). This is more a ModelX competitor at that price. Speaking of which, I liked my ModelX but frankly the amount of random warranty service (screen yellowing, radar sensor failures, rubber seals fraying, DC charger failure), my wife hating the falcon wing not being consistently opening when objects are in the garage next to the car, etc. just made it something I was willing to give up. Kids absolutely adored the ModelX and were bummed when I sold it but, hey, they aren’t the final decider. Fortunately we didn’t absolutely need another 7 seater in the family so I could get something with significantly less cargo and seating space.

So, in summary, my experience doesn’t completely apply 100% to the OP. Haha…

If OP went for a MYP over a MYLR then I presume 0-60 is important. Therefore the iX doesn’t compare it’s much slower
(Slower than the LR!!) and the comparison is therefore performance vs comfort/trim and not like for like.

If you want a car now you can pay a premium for a MYLR and still save a fortune, if you want performance get the MYP or if you want something different and a nice trim get the iX. All 3 are quite different depending on budget and what you’re looking for in the first place.

I would choose the BMW over my model 3 all day long, completely different car and IMO a different league to the model 3

When you say different league, do you mean the Tesla is in a far superior 'league' to the BMW? I can only assume you do. If not, what exactly are you referring? Is it the overall efficiency maybe, Is it the vehicle electronics and software, is it the vehicle performance, is it the charging network maybe, is it the HV battery technology you are referring to, is it the running cost maybe, is it the power to weight ratio, Is it the overall purchase price? is it the fact that your not allowed to open the bonnet? I'm Just curious.

Spanish

When you say different league, do you mean the Tesla is in a far superior 'league' to the BMW? I can only assume you do. If not, what exactly are you referring? Is it the overall efficiency maybe, Is it the vehicle electronics and software, is it the vehicle performance, is it the charging network maybe, is it the HV battery technology you are referring to, is it the running cost maybe, is it the power to weight ratio, Is it the overall purchase price? is it the fact that your not allowed to open the bonnet? I'm Just curious.

Spanish
Totally agree, I looked at the iX4 M50 and its poorly designed. Has few of the features you expect from EV’s. It’s a regular 4 series converted to electric. They do not take advantage of space saving elements. The interior is bulky and the boot is small. I’ve come from a BMW M3 and the M50 is a let down. Tesla is good at what it produces. I’m very pleased I’ve ordered a MYP.

Reactions: Stan930
Totally agree, I looked at the iX4 M50 and its poorly designed. Has few of the features you expect from EV’s. It’s a regular 4 series converted to electric. They do not take advantage of space saving elements. The interior is bulky and the boot is small. I’ve come from a BMW M3 and the M50 is a let down. Tesla is good at what it produces. I’m very pleased I’ve ordered a MYP.
Great. Threads about an iX not iX4 though, and iX is a dedicated EV build.

Reactions: Durzel
What’s a iX4 M50? 🧐

Spanish
I think anyone will accept that the build quality and customer service is light years ahead of Tesla. BMW actually care about their customers for a start. I think you maybe a little Tesla blinded if you see anything different.

And just for information, I own a Tesla.