Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! New 2020 SR+ versus used 2018 MR?

Which should I buy?

• New 2020 SR+

• Used 2018 MR

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Long-time lurker here!

I recently ordered a new 2020 SR+, white on black, 19'' sport wheels, partial premium interior, 30-day free premium connectivity, no FSD. Expected delivery in mid-September. Super excited and have already ordered just about every accessory available!

That said, I just came across a used-inventory 2018 MR (built December), white on black, 18'' Aero wheels, premium interior, 30-day premium connectivity, WITH FSD. It's currently sitting on about 21,000 KMs and available for roughly a few thousand dollars more than the brand new SR+.

Frunk Grocery clips aside, which is the better option? Is late 2018 a good build date? Any concerns about hard/software?

Any help is majorly appreciated! Pumped to join the Tesla family soon.

Hi,

Long-time lurker here!

I recently ordered a new 2020 SR+, white on black, 19'' sport wheels, partial premium interior, 30-day free premium connectivity, no FSD. Expected delivery in mid-September. Super excited and have already ordered just about every accessory available!

That said, I just came across a used-inventory 2018 MR (built December), white on black, 18'' Aero wheels, premium interior, 30-day premium connectivity, WITH FSD. It's currently sitting on about 21,000 KMs and available for roughly a few thousand dollars more than the brand new SR+.

Frunk Grocery clips aside, which is the better option? Is late 2018 a good build date? Any concerns about hard/software?

Any help is majorly appreciated! Pumped to join the Tesla family soon.

You’re paying more and almost 50% through the warranty already. I value FSD almost at zero since autopilot is so good on freeways. I wouldn’t trust FSD for a LONG time to routinely stop at lights or stop signs in city or not pull out in front of a car that it didn’t see on a side street.

The extra battery will help in the winter, but it’s honestly not that much. If you cut it down by 30-50% (which winter temps can do) than you’re only gaining an extra 7 to 12 miles or so, and that’s if there isn’t any battery degradation. If it was a long range pack that might make for a longer think, but I doubt I would buy used unless it was a good cost savings over a new car.

I've been very happy with my black 2018 MR + EAP + FSD.
There were no defects in the paint/body. No troubles so far. I
like the 18" wheels w/out the aero covers.

It seems odd to pay more for a 2 year old car. Is the 2018
a dual motor? What is making you interested in the used one?
Frankly, I'm skeptical, on warranty remaining especially.

The FSD is worth $8k US, the full premium interior is nice, the
sound system. But adding a small subwoofer is a $200 affair.
The SR+ feels kind of basic to me, and the AP w/out FSD isn't
my kind of Tesla at all. Any 2018 came with HW2.5, but w/ FSD
the HW3.0 computer is installed. But if you expect much from
the Midrange battery, mine fills up to ~250 miles right now, 260
if fully cycled/recalibrated, so it may not be more than today's SR+.

Maybe some things have been improved in 2020, I don't know.
People around here bitch and moan at a 1 mm offset on panels,
so it's hard to say if today's builds are indeed "sloppier".

I would suggest sitting in a SR+ and in a full premium 2018 or 2019.
Lots of little things were taken off the basic SR+ to keep the price
down, like floormats, "leather" steering wheel, etc. Nothing big, but ...

So what does your SR+ as ordered come to vs the 2018 w. FSD?
White used to be an extra on the paint, now it's default std.

Last edited:
You’re paying more and almost 50% through the warranty already. I value FSD almost at zero since autopilot is so good on freeways. I wouldn’t trust FSD for a LONG time to routinely stop at lights or stop signs in city or not pull out in front of a car that it didn’t see on a side street.

The extra battery will help in the winter, but it’s honestly not that much. If you cut it down by 30-50% (which winter temps can do) than you’re only gaining an extra 7 to 12 miles or so, and that’s if there isn’t any battery degradation. If it was a long range pack that might make for a longer think, but I doubt I would buy used unless it was a good cost savings over a new car.

Thanks for the reply. I never considered that perspective on warranty. I'm slightly risk averse, especially when it comes to an arguably newer tech vehicle, so this may be a big factor.

I've been very happy with my black 2018 MR + EAP + FSD.
There were no defects in the paint/body. No troubles so far. I
like the 18" wheels w/out the aero covers.

It seems odd to pay more for a 2 year old car. Is the 2018
a dual motor? What is making you interested in the used one?
Frankly, I'm skeptical, on warranty remaining especially.

The FSD is worth $8k US, the full premium interior is nice, the
sound system. But adding a small subwoofer is a $200 affair.
The SR+ feels kind of basic to me, and the AP w/out FSD isn't
my kind of Tesla at all. Any 2018 came with HW2.5, but w/ FSD
the HW3.0 computer is installed. But if you expect much from
the Midrange battery, mine fills up to ~250 miles right now, 260
if fully cycled/recalibrated, so it may not be more than today's SR+.

Maybe some things have been improved in 2020, I don't know.
People around here bitch and moan at a 1 mm offset on panels,
so it's hard to say if today's builds are indeed "sloppier".

I would suggest sitting in a SR+ and in a full premium 2018 or 2019.
Lots of little things were taken off the basic SR+ to keep the price
down, like floormats, "leather" steering wheel, etc. Nothing big, but ...

So what does your SR+ as ordered come to vs the 2018 w. FSD?
White used to be an extra on the paint, now it's default std.

Thanks for replying.

What makes you skeptical on warranty remaining? For what it's worth Tesla says the car has a "clean history."

Re: what I'm interested in :
1. The premium sound - having sat in a 2020 SR+ and a 2020 LR AWD, the difference is fairly noticeable in my perspective.
2. FSD - simply a nice to have, as it costs $10K in Canada, the EAP is so good on the highway and I figure it won't be legally viable in the near future I wouldn't purchase it myself.
3. Other small bells + whistles - fog lights, ambient lights, etc. are not a dealbreaker deal to me, but sure if it has this upgrade over 2020 it might be nice. It doesn't look like this 2018 comes with floor mats, but I've already purchased some so big deal their either.
4. Extra range - given the used model is a RWD MR, this is negligible to me.

So really it's premium sound (which a local shop here has given me a first quote of $5k, which is a bit unreasonable IMO. And the FSD as a nice-to-have as I won't be buying it for $10k.

For added perspective: Here in BC we get a $3k rebate plus a federal $5k rebate on the SR+, so I just can't justify spending upwards of an extra $18K on a new LR AWD for unneeded range and premium sound.

Just a word on sound. The $5k quote is a typical rip-off. The main difference on the "premium" sound is the subwoofer. I work with studio sound and IMHO the Tesla sound system isn't all that phenomenal. It's just better than the (miserable) average. Their subwoofer is a small unit and the bass peaks around 50 Hz, like on most consumer stuff. You can buy a small powered subwoofer for $100-$200, stick it in the back, or under a seat, wire it in off one of the midrange speakers and get about the same result, or better. Low frequencies are non-directional so stereo isn't even important on where you tap it. Just sayin'

Last edited:
I've been trying to make this decision for like two months lol.

Ultimately I chose the Mid-Range. I'm not worried about the warranty as I'll blow through it in a few years anyway (unless I trade it in for the Cybertruck). EAP and premium interior is what sold it for me. I know the stereo isn't that impressive, but for an extra $1k it didn't make sense to get the stripped down SR+.

...and Carvana will bring it to me.

...and the Mid-Range is a tad quicker.

Just a word on sound. The $5k quote is a typical rip-off. The main difference on the "premium" sound is the subwoofer. I work with studio sound and IMHO the Tesla sound system isn't all that phenomenal. It's just better than the (miserable) average. Their subwoofer is a small unit and the bass peaks around 50 Hz, like on most consumer stuff. You can buy a small powered subwoofer for $100-$200, stick it in the back, or under a seat, wire it in off one of the midrange speakers and get about the same result, or better. Low frequencies are non-directional so stereo isn't even important on where you tap it. Just sayin'
Where under a seat are you going to stick a subwoofer in the Model 3?

Haven't tried it, but there are some very flat/thin subs, like this. Or this. Might fit under a front seat?

Personally, I'd be tempted to sacrifice some space in the back, something like this would be way better than the Tesla sub. Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm EQ'ing the "premium" and living with it.

The point is that any powered small sub would be similar to what the little "premium" Tesla sub does, and a bigger one could actually deliver some bona fide bass, which the Tesla one doesn't.

Doing a complete replacement including the front speakers for many thousands is IMHO overkill, you can't hear well in a moving car with wind/road noise anyway. And in reality most of the fancy label car systems are more sales pitch than anything. They aren't all that good either.

Last edited:
Ultimately I chose the Mid-Range. I'm not worried about the warranty as I'll blow through it in a few years anyway (unless I trade it in for the Cybertruck). EAP and premium interior is what sold it for me. I know the stereo isn't that impressive, but for an extra $1k it didn't make sense to get the stripped down SR+.

If they correctly said "full self-driving" that means the HW3 computer and full FSD. That's more than EAP. If you take the time to get good at using it, you'll love the FSD. Two tips: use the scroll wheel to keep adjusting your target speed the way you'd use the accelerator, and don't be shy with dropping in and out of AP, it's there for you, not the other way around.

I pwould go for the SR+ than the used MR because it's cheaper. The rated range isn't much different and FSD isn't worth its price yet. By the time FSD is worth something most likely you'll be selling your SR+ and getting whatever the latest Tesla model in the future. The little gains from SR+ to MR is not worth the price IMO. If the MR can charge at 48A and can supercharge as quick as the LR models then it might be worth it, too bad it's limited to 32A and 170kwh

I have a LR RWD with FSD, If I were to purchase again today I would skip the FSD. I would go for a used 2018 Model 3 LR RWD at the price of a new SR+ for the difference in features.

If they correctly said "full self-driving" that means the HW3 computer and full FSD. That's more than EAP. If you take the time to get good at using it, you'll love the FSD. Two tips: use the scroll wheel to keep adjusting your target speed the way you'd use the accelerator, and don't be shy with dropping in and out of AP, it's there for you, not the other way around.

Thanks for the tips! The description states Enhanced Autopilot. I’ll find out for sure, next Saturday.

I pwould go for the SR+ than the used MR because it's cheaper. The rated range isn't much different and FSD isn't worth its price yet. By the time FSD is worth something most likely you'll be selling your SR+ and getting whatever the latest Tesla model in the future. The little gains from SR+ to MR is not worth the price IMO. If the MR can charge at 48A and can supercharge as quick as the LR models then it might be worth it, too bad it's limited to 32A and 170kwh

I have a LR RWD with FSD, If I were to purchase again today I would skip the FSD. I would go for a used 2018 Model 3 LR RWD at the price of a new SR+ for the difference in features.

mr is around 200kwh, not 170

Tesla Model 3 Mid-Range To Supercharge At Up To 200 kW