Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Ordered today but didn't get premium package. Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the PUP also adds fog light, if I am not mistaken. That can be useful.

This drove me nuts when I purchased. The only thing I could find was being told that w/o the PUP, the car will still have a "cover"

If anyone is considering ordering w/o PUP, just know that your car will still have the pieces that look like a fog light. It will look the same in the day, it will just not light up and illuminate the road.

You have 7 days unless you confirm your order before that. After you confirm your order, you will have to pay $500 to make a change.

I have the Premium Package and would not buy a Tesla without it. I think it is worth the extra money.

I went though the same dilemma when I ordered in October. At the end of the day, I personally could tell the fit and finish on the premium package vs regular and went with premium. I was lucky as I was able to test drive and feel both. The improved "feel" of the interior sold me on it as the pup uses real leather on the door panels vs vinyl. I didn't realize how much I would like the power liftgate which can be activated by the key fob and also lighting which is actually pretty darn nice. I would sit in both so you can see the difference which may not be worth it to you. I took delivery last Friday and am very very happy I went spent the extra money on it.

I had custom ordered my car without PUP and sub zero. But I ended up switching to inventory car which had both PUP and sub zero. I love using the power lift gate - I actually use my trunk more now that I can easily open/close it. The interior definitely feels nicer. And once you have heated steering wheel, there is no going back.

Usually I don't like to pay for options that I feel like I don't need. But in this case, when I am paying so much for the car, I was fine paying a little bit more. Also I was able to just add it to my financing, which I got at 1.49%.

I would have been totally fine without these options, but now having had the car for now almost 2 weeks, I am very happy that I got them.

Last edited:
Have you sat in the vegan white seats? They feel very nice :) But, I have also heard good things about the textile seats. I was going to get the textile seats until an inventory car with black leather and pup came up for sale for the same price. I am happy with the car I have and have never sat in the car I had originally ordered, but am pretty sure I would have liked that one too.

@bakchod87 You should talk to your Owner Advisor and ask them if you can still get the cloth seats with the Premium Package. When my brother ordered his P85D at the end of 2015, he was allowed to order the cloth seats and the premium package by having it noted on the order. Things inevitably change, but it's certainly worth a shot to ask!

So after 2 years of drooling and debating and planning, I finally took the plunge, and happily, and ordered a 90D. I was having a tough time between the red and the pearl white, and somehow my gut told me to go with red at the last moment even though I was leaning towards pearl white earlier! What I didn't get was the premium package as personally I am not a fan of leather and premium package was forcing me to get leather seats as well. To get the fabric seats, I decided to forego the premium package. Now my question is, while I still have time to modify the order for free, can you all tell me if the premium package is worth the $3500? The LED lighting is not that noticeable. The only thing I can see I am missing out on is power lift gate but is that really that big of a deal?I asked the store sales person whether I can order the premium package and keep the by default add leather seats, but can he call the factory and remove the leather seats to fabric and still keep the premium interior for me, and he said he wasn't sure, the factor may not do that. So that's why in the end I decided to not add it. Am I missing out? Is the power lift gate and LED lighting worth it? Or any other cool-ness I am missing out on?Any suggestions and insights will be greatly appreciated.
Just add $3,400 to the base price, then the PUP is only $100, a no brainer!;) Hell, I got the tow package for my X and have no idea of why. Just didn't want to miss anything.

Reactions: DÆrik and PtG62901
Thanks all. After your inputs and some more research, I think I will add the PUP :). As some of you here said, I am already paying for a 90D, so why not add the extra package?! I also reached out to my OA to see if he can add the PUP for me but later take the leather seats out and call the factory to just have the fabric seats for me. If that works great, otherwise I will still keep the PUP and premium seats.

Reactions: nuixy and DÆrik
I didn't opt for it. No allergies or fear of bioweapons and it seemed pretty pricey for the gate and lighting. Now they added ventilated seats all the way down to S6O but I don't think that's a game changer either. I did get the Next Gen seats though, I think I will appreciate that more on a daily basis. You could probably get the leather seats and sell/trade for the non leather? Paying the full price for PUP and not getting the leather seats really doesn't seem worth the $$ as that looks like the most expensive part of the package.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
@bakchod87 You should talk to your Owner Advisor and ask them if you can still get the cloth seats with the Premium Package. When my brother ordered his P85D at the end of 2015, he was allowed to order the cloth seats and the premium package by having it noted on the order. Things inevitably change, but it's certainly worth a shot to ask!
This is what I did - cloth multi pattern and premium package ... honestly what pushed me over the edge was my thought in the resale world folks are not going to want to buy a luxury car that does not feel like a luxury car - premium package adds to that feel .. also better filtration is more useful than you think -- for example we recently had wild fires about 120 miles from where I live - before Tesla -- my lungs got all messed up .. would have come in handy -- I really think the upgraded roof - either all glass or pano - premium pkg and eap are all musts - that is what I got ... good luck!!!

Perhaps I'm missing something, but when I add the premium package the premium seats get automatically included for an additional $2500 and there seems to be no way to undo this. That makes the cost of the premium package $6000. Seems like a lot to get the automatic tailgate, special lighting and the like. Depends on what one wants, I suppose.

If it is possible to downgrade the seats, contrary to the website, and save that $2500, that would change the calculation somewhat. Much as I like my automatic tailgate and think that the lighted door handles are attractive, it is hard to see spending $3500, much less $6000, for them.

It's absolutely worth it. It elevates the interior of the car to another level and actually makes it feel like a car in that price range.

The S that I test drove did not have it, and honestly the interior felt cheap, very underwhelming. The showroom car had the Premium package with he leather dash and lots more leather everywhere and felt like a car in a different class. I think just the interior upgrades alone are worth it...but then you get other goodies as well - HEPA filtration, turning headlights, ambient lighting, power liftgate, ventilated seats.

If I was ordering today a probably would skip PUP and go with the cloth seats. The cloth premium seats look great! And as others have said it is a $6,000 upgrade to the ventilated leather seats + PUP.

I did not love the old cloth seats... my car is CPO so I ended up with PUP + NextGen.